Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Important changes from Sky

This is a discussion on Important changes from Sky within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; So much for a Sky "manager" ringing me back on Friday to explain what kind of service Yahoo will be ...

Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Important changes from Sky

So much for a Sky "manager" ringing me back on Friday to explain what kind of service Yahoo will be providing with respect to whether users will be able to forward emails onto another email account, something that Yahoo mail users have to pay for. Hopefully the "meeting" the manager conveniently had to go to on Friday will be finished by tomorrow!

2. Advertisement
      Obeone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Technicolour 582n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have now finished migrating all my Skoogle accounts over to my corresponding gmail accounts. I have also set up forwarding from Skoogle to each gmail account and that too is working well, though now I have informed everyone I can think of about my new email address I'm getting very few forwarded. I have learnt my lesson and will never use an ISP's email offering again. Still at least it's been a good learning opportunity and kept me out of mischief.
      Last edited by Obeone; 10-01-13 at 11:05 PM.

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Set my parents up with hotmail address within a week of moving to Sky back when their services were first announced. They had no spam prevention in place in the original SKY based webmail, prior to gmail. Parents don't use the Sky mail anymore apart from the odd occassion to check sky corrospondance.

Yorkshire Traveller is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cleckheaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

A bit of an update having chatted with Yahoo on-line.

Apparently yahoo.co.uk accounts allow free POP and mail forwarding. If you a yahoo.com account you have to upgrade to paid for Yahoo Mail Plus to get these (strange that we get something for free that the rest of the world has to pay for!). So, if Sky move to standard Yahoo Mail we should get POP and forwarding but not the ability to send mail as an alias e.g. myname@mydomain.co.uk which is only available with Yahoo Mail Plus.

I wonder if Sky will allow us to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus or give us this feature for free?

Strangely the Yahoo account I set up earlier this month with a .co.uk address has somehow been registered with Yahoo as having a .com domain hence the inability to forward or POP for free. When sending e mails to a Yahoo account it doesn't matter whether you use yahoo.co.uk or yahoo.com they will still get delivered as it's the prefix that Yahoo uses.

I'm confused!

Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Got this email from Sky regarding the Forwarding issue.

"Thank you for your email.
      I would like to let you know that when your Sky Email is moved to Yahoo mail, you will still have the option to forward emails to another email account."

Trampster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01752
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I am not 100% sure how you have set things up, but perhaps you might wish to look into applying for a SkyUser SMTP account?

It isn't an email account, but it will allow you to forward emails when connected to Sky Broadband.

SkyUser Mail / SMTP
      I was very annoyed when we signed up to Sky approx 2 years ago for the full TV/Broadband/Email etc. Package to find that I also could not send emails from my own domain through sky, as this had been no problem with my previous ISP, and we were not told about this by sky until it was too late.

I signed up for the Skyuser SMTP account, and (whilst I have not spent much time on it) I have not yet got it to work. Also, I recently purchased a new laptop running Win 8, and Windows live mail only works on Imap.

OK, so I can install another email client like Thunderbird to give me POP3, but can somebody explain (in laymans terms!) where we stand with this (seemingly crap) yahoo mail & our own domains. If I cannot send outgoing mail from my domain without hassle, then perhaps it is time to look for another ISP. We were also advised by Sky when we signed up that our minimum broadband speed would be 10Mb, and we have never achieved more than 2Mb. To be honest, Sky do not have a lot going for them from my point of view at the mo!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Hello Tramster,

Rather than go off topic in this thread and answer those two questions, could I ask you to start two new threads please? Place one in the SkyUser Mail section to ask about setting up the email account:

SkyUser Mail / SMTP

For your connection issues, please post a new thread in the section linked below:

Sky Broadband help

If you could also include a copy of your router's connection statistics in your first post, it would be really helpful as well. For guidance on doing this, please see the tutorial linked to from next link:

How to get your Sky Router statistics

I personally don't use Thunderbird, so I will avoid chipping in there if I can. There are many other members who do use Thunderbird and I am sure that they will be only too happy to help.

There are many things which may help to improve your connection speed and there are many members, including myself, who can help you here.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Trampster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01752
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Thanks for replying Scubbie. I guess (as usual) I was waffling a bit. Not used to a lot of this. The bottom line of my post is will we be able to send mail from our own domain thru Yahoo or not?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

No problem with the waffling

The information which we have been given at the moment is that you will continue to be able to use the SkyUser SMTP Service as they won't be blocking these ports. So if you can't use your own domain, then this will work perfectly well.

Obviously I am concerned that you are having problems using your own email address, hence me suggesting that you start a new thread in the correct section.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

russkizz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Im trying to opt in to the changeover to sky yahoo mail,but when i click on the link in the email to accept,nothing happens,just opens my email,any ideas?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast