Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Important changes from Sky

This is a discussion on Important changes from Sky within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller I normally send e mails via Outlook Express using the SkyUser smtp service using my ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Important changes from Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller View Post
      I normally send e mails via Outlook Express using the SkyUser smtp service using my own domain name. However, I do frequently access e mail using the Sky web based Gmail service when away from home.
      I would highly recommend that you start using a new email client soon. Support for Outlook Express was pulled some years ago so you will be using an unsafe product. Window Live Mail is a very similar product and you can also import your existing emails and accounts into it.

It is also possible to link the Live Mail calendar with the google calendar.

Does anyone have any inkling if the new Yahoo based e mail service will be the standard Yahoo Mail or the Yahoo Mail Plus?

The reason for asking is that web based Gmail gives you the option to send mail as if coming from a different address so I use myname@mydomain.co.uk

It is not possible to do this with standard Yahoo Mail - you have to upgrade to the paid for Yahoo Mail Plus service (not that much 11.99 per year).

I also note that since the beginning of the year any new Yahoo Mail accounts that are created do not allow POP or forwarding - you have to pay for the Yahoo Mail Plus. (I set up a new Yahoo Mail account today and when clicking on the Forward/POP options was directed to the Mail Plus service).
      Not sure, hopefully others are answering this for you.

Given that Sky have said that POP will continue without any changes I kind of assume that we will get the Mail Plus service. Here's hoping.

Alternatively I'll set up another Gmail account - though I'm having problems as having done this and tried to set up my myname@mydomain.co.uk as an alternative address I never receive the verification e mails to this address - perhaps because it is already registered as my alternative address on my existing Sky Gmail account. [edit - just discovered that the same alternate e mail address can only be used with one Gmail account at a time. Will have to wait for my Sky Gmail account to be closed then add the alternate myname@mydomain.co.uk address to my newly opened Gmail account].
      Set up your own gmail account if you prefer to continue using it all in the same way as you are now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      Reading through this lot I'm glad I never bothered using the Sky email address they gave me!
      Lol

My idea was to give yahoo a go & if i didn't like it, set up some normal gmail accounts.
      The more i read, the more i'm considering going straight to step 2.
      stereohaven likes this.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

I have a Hotmail account (now Outlook), that I have used for years without issue and it doesn't have ads (well, they are not as obvious)...

It also works fine with IMAP on a range of devices and Sky are quite happy to use it as my main email address.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Same as the above ive used hotmail since 2002

Sent from my iPhone 4

dog-man is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Does hotmail / outlook allow syncing with mobiles and desktops so that if I delete an email on one device it disappears on all devices and off the mail server?

dog-man

- - - Updated - - -

Does hotmail / outlook allow syncing with mobiles and desktops so that if I delete an email on one device it disappears on all devices and off the mail server?

dog-man

- - - Updated - - -

Strange!

I don't understand how my post ended up like it did.

dog-man

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      I have a Hotmail account (now Outlook), that I have used for years without issue and it doesn't have ads (well, they are not as obvious)...

It also works fine with IMAP on a range of devices and Sky are quite happy to use it as my main email address.
      Thanks stereo.

I really only had gmail in mind, as i know it works with my ps3 browser (yep still haven't taken the plunge with a proper machine.) & also the familiarity.

Thing is though, i keep hearing scary things about google wanting to take over the world & linking everything up with g+ one day, using people's real names etc. I don't understand any of it tbh.

It's a minefield out there for noobs like me.

I'll have a look into outlook compatibility.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Strange!

I don't understand how my post ended up like it did.

dog-man
      You may have inadvertently pressed the submit button twice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

dog-man (04-01-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      Yes.

I use Hotmail on my phone and laptop. Whatever is available on one, is available on the other.

If I then go on-line (i.e. use a browser) as well then the messages are there too, or not if they have been deleted.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Yorkshire Traveller is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cleckheaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would highly recommend that you start using a new email client soon. Support for Outlook Express was pulled some years ago so you will be using an unsafe product. Window Live Mail is a very similar product and you can also import your existing emails and accounts into it.

It is also possible to link the Live Mail calendar with the google calendar.

Not sure, hopefully others are answering this for you.

Set up your own gmail account if you prefer to continue using it all in the same way as you are now.

I have already set up a new Gmail account in readiness. However what I can't do is set this up to send as myname@mydomain.co.uk as this is already being used by my existing Sky/Gmail account - Gmail does not permit the same alternate address to be used on more than one account. I guess I'll have to wait for the switchover to Yahoo, see how this goes and if I'm not happy then enable my new Gmail account assuming that the Sky Gmail account will be automatically closed down. Does this make sense?

Thanks

I am not 100% sure how you have set things up, but perhaps you might wish to look into applying for a SkyUser SMTP account?

It isn't an email account, but it will allow you to forward emails when connected to Sky Broadband.

SkyUser Mail / SMTP

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast