Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Important changes from Sky

This is a discussion on Important changes from Sky within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; When Yahoo take over make sure you have a secure password, I would advise at least 12 chars long and ...

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Important changes from Sky

When Yahoo take over make sure you have a secure password, I would advise at least 12 chars long and not in an dictionary. If possible add Caps, loweer case, numbers and special chars.

I have had a few Yahoo accounts hacked a few years ago but not recently as I have a very long password, I think it is 18 chars.

EDIT:

One is 21 chars long just counted

Is that hard to type in every time? no I use a macro so even a keyloger will not work.

At one time I had over 600 Yahoo accounts but that was a while ago, but I know I have made more since but guess some may be deleted now, I know some got banned because they had yahoo in name.

2. Advertisement
      Smir is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01233
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 x3
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Yahoo is a very poor service interface is very bad gmail is so simple and easy to use... It's a shame.. :-/
      Steele11 likes this.

20/10/2013 Fibre Order
      17/12/2013 Fibre Installation Date
      28/01/2014 Fibre Pro Upgrade

Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Not being too technical I'm unsure what's going to happen! Currently I have a xxxx.xxxx@sky.com and a xxxx.xxxx@gmail.com email addresses where both are set to forward on any emails that are sent to one of them to the other one e.g. If I get an email to my xxxx.xxxx@sky.com address it's automatically forwarded onto my xxxx.xxxx@gmail.com address and vice versa. I currently access my xxxx.xxxx@sky.com email via my Apple Mac's email client so will I continue to be able to do this when Sky move over to Yahoo? When I'm away from my Mac I access my email via my xxxx.xxxx@gmail.com account via Google's Gmail as any emails to my xxxx.xxxx@sky.com account are forwarded onto to it, so will this now change and will I have to log onto Yahoo's email to get any emails to my Sky account? What changes will I have to make to get emails to forward onto each other?

It's all very confusing (to me!!)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Firstly there is a simpler way to manage both your email accounts, but I won't go into that.

As for the settings on your MAC for your Sky email account, these could remain unchanged. It partially depends on what settings you are using at the moment and what will happen when all the changes go through.

We can't give you all the detailed specifics at the moment, but the information is suggesting that there should be little if any change in your case.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am very concerned about this, I initially thought it would be fine , I remember reading how Yahoo got a new CEO recently and all of their services have been redesigned to be as good if not better than Google's. Plus I have a personal dislike of how Google track everything we do in life and seem to be on a take over the world mission!
      But now I have this email I see Sky haven't thought about this very well as there seems little or no information for IMAP users, it just says you can use IMAP on a mobile device and your home computer has to use POP3! What the hell, POP3 is so old now who uses it? I have multiple computers and devices I need my email to be the same on all of them, I also have several Sky email addresses. It would be a disaster if I was to go back to the old POP3 email and having 1 computer downloading all my mail. I tried looking through Yahoo's help pages but I cannot see anything on configuring IMAP apart from a mobile device. I just cannot believe something this big is being overlooked or not reported on Sky really need to get something together for users with IMAP, they may well have a POP3 service that can retain messages but infrequently this will not work and will wipe your messages on the server!
      Do we have to move or can we stay with Google mail does anyone know? trouble is I already agreed on half my email addresses before I read the IMAP fiasco, I simply cannot believe they are this short sighted.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Do we have to move or can we stay with Google mail does anyone know?
      There is no opt out. If you do not agree your email accounts will be terminated in 30 days. There is nothing to stop you opening @gmail accounts and transferring your contacts. I think quite a few will be going down this route.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky must be insane to do this to people, then again so must Yahoo, if they seriously want to compete then need to invest in more servers and offer a proper IMAP solution.
      Changing is hard because of all the online registrations, this means re-registering with them all with new Gmail accounts. I use 3 for online shopping. One is throw away and the most full of targeted spam so I don't care loosing it. Others are harder where I have boiler guarantee's etc something I must use once in years. I'll have to keep it going through Yahoo and try and filter all the crap out.

Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Firstly there is a simpler way to manage both your email accounts, but I won't go into that.

As for the settings on your MAC for your Sky email account, these could remain unchanged. It partially depends on what settings you are using at the moment and what will happen when all the changes go through.

We can't give you all the detailed specifics at the moment, but the information is suggesting that there should be little if any change in your case.
      As far as I know I use POP3 on all my devices (iPods, PCs, Macs and Android phones). As long as any emails that arrive in my [future] Sky Yahoo mail account are then forwarded onto my Gmail account then I'm quite happy.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I already accepted the new t/c's a few days ago, when prompted to do so on the sign-in page.
      I did this with my main account (given by sky at sign-up) & the other 2 additional ones i set up.

Today, i got the 'important changes' email from sky, sent to one of the additional accounts, asking me to agree to the changes.
      The thing is, all the links in the email, titled 'click now to agree' just reload / take me to my in box in another window?

Even the 'count me in' link on this page: http://www.sky.com/emailinfo just takes me to my in box, or if i'm not logged in, to the sign-in page.

Should i be concerned?
      I don't know if accepting the t/c's the other day is the same as 'agreeing to the changes' or 'counting me in' lol.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Once you have registered, that's it. When we are eventually transferred to Yahoo you can go here - Ad Interest Manager to opt out of targeted advertising. It will not stop advertising all together, but it may help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast