Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Like Tree3Likes

BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+

This is a discussion on BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+ within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Restorer You've lost me there Scubbie In your previous post you stated: Originally Posted by Restorer Yes, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      You've lost me there Scubbie
      In your previous post you stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      Yes, certainly the providers will have ultimate control over what goes where within the EPG and how its own sections are organised but I would be amazed if Sky's engineers will be trusting these third parties to be feeding content directly into their highly prized Progressive Download system...
      I was simply trying to say that it is not for Sky to dictate what the other broadcasters can or cannot air.

As for the quality, should one of them provide a poor copy of their content on a regular basis, then this would ultimately reflect on them, not Sky. Sky has let it be known that it is the provider, not them, who is responsible for the content. This is both good and bad.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      In your previous post you stated:

I was simply trying to say that it is not for Sky to dictate what the other broadcasters can or cannot air.

As for the quality, should one of them provide a poor copy of their content on a regular basis, then this would ultimately reflect on them, not Sky. Sky has let it be known that it is the provider, not them, who is responsible for the content. This is both good and bad.
      Ah, I see. You have misunderstood what I meant. I wasn't suggesting for a minute that Sky would be worried about other channels slipping some kind of controversial material through . I was talking purely from the technical side of Sky letting these third party outfits loose to introduce their own content into its highly complex, proprietary system without very close control indeed on Sky's side .

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

No problem.

As a broadcaster and someone who is responsible for providing devices to allow people to watch TV content, Sky will have to know how the different TV companies will be transmitting their material over the Satellites. Last Summer the Fox Humax STBs needed an urgent update as the BBC Olympic coverage used a standard which they could not understand.

Just when Sky updated their systems, I don't know. What I am aware of is some additional features buried within the new beta EPG which will allow for some new material which will be made available at a later date. Just how this will work I don't know.

As for the quality, we've already discussed the quality of the Channel 5 HD content and how it dropped at one point. Through complaints from various sources, this was resolved.

Hopefully by letting the out the knowledge that it is down to the content providers, not Sky, people will in time put pressure on the content providers to produce the best quality material for us all. Hopefully the likes of ITV are reading this and will review their policy of only making SD items available. Why is such a large organisation, why can't they produce HD content for the ITV Player?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes, I agree. I don't see why Sky couldn't have played harder ball with ITV in the negotiations and made at least some provision of HD part of the deal. They did get their carriage fees almost halved after all!

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Red Bee Media (that's the company that used to be part of the BBC) still handle the VOD side of things for all of our PSBs (though maybe not ITV?). So presumably Sky will be dealing directly with them which should result in a reliable and consistent product.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678