Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+

This is a discussion on BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+ within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by cylon6 I love BBC iPlayer on Sky. It pretty much is perfect. Scubbie explained why some films ...

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+

Quote Originally Posted by cylon6 View Post
      I love BBC iPlayer on Sky. It pretty much is perfect. Scubbie explained why some films aren't there and it makes sense. If they're on Sky for hire they won't turn up on iPlayer apart from the web version. Can any smart TV owners say whether or not that is the same for iPlayer on that platform?
      I have BBC iPlayer on my Humax box and PS3 rather than SmartTV but I can confirm thats the case on there.

I've yet to see a movie appear on iPlayer in HD incidently, it's maximum res is always 832x468

But I bloomin' well love it I do! The only problem is I need a Sky+ box with more memory to fully accommodate it but I'm looking into that. Roll on 4OD!
      My PS3 has an implementation of 4OD but it plays in the web browser than on a dedicated app such as the iPlayer or ITV player, it'll be interesting to see what Sky comes up with.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Like everyone else here, I haven't seen 4oD on Sky yet. I would guess that it will work in much the same way as the existing CUTV and On Demand sections.

What will be important to myself if the video and sound quality. The ITV Player, albeit in SD only, is good. There have been a few complaints about the picture quality on Demand Five and the sound quality for the BBC's HD content is poor IMHO.

The actual content and quality is down to the providers, not Sky.

A good thing for all of them is the lack of advertising, but perhaps the BBC will change and start advertising some day.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

A good thing for all of them is the lack of advertising, but perhaps the BBC will change and start advertising some day.
      They already advertise on their world service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

4OD content is fairly low res stuff, 512x288, I have doubts they'll make an exception for Sky, stranger things have happened at sea, though. The good news is that there is plenty of it it that doesn't expire rapidly unlike, say, the iPlayer.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chug a Bug View Post
      4OD content is fairly low res stuff, 512x288, I have doubts they'll make an exception for Sky, stranger things have happened at sea, though. The good news is that there is plenty of it it that doesn't expire rapidly unlike, say, the iPlayer.
      Yeah I have to say the PQ currently available from 4OD is pretty dire - even the brand new Android app viewed on a smartphone ain't great.

But while we may not get HD, I'm pretty sure Sky would have insisted on some kind of minimum standard. Everything else is broadcast quality (apart from the older ITV stuff) so why would Channel 4 be allowed to drag down the standard? Negotiations don't forget are two-way and Sky had already offered good financial incentives to all PSBs coming to the On Demand party. And from what I gather all the content providers have to do is hand over the source material. Sky themselves will be responsible for adapting and absorbing it into their Progressive Download system.

Also, there is, as you say, a lot of longer term content available from 4OD but so far we have only been told of the Catch Up element and nothing has been hinted regarding library/archive material. The omens are not good for this since it's really only ITV who have been let into that very Sky-dominated section and even then the content is quite limited.

Still, my fingers are crossed. 4OD could be a great addition and the Spring is not far off now .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      ...And from what I gather all the content providers have to do is hand over the source material. Sky themselves will be responsible for adapting and absorbing it into their Progressive Download system...
      As I have mentioned on several occasions, the content providers are responsible for populating the CUTV & On Demand sections. I would guess that this was a part of the agreement which Sky had to come to. I also suspect that the BBC was most insistent on this.

Obviously we shall all have to wait to know just how good or bad the picture quality will be with 4oD.

During testing with BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and Demand Five, the content varied and was inconsistent, with initially just a few programmes being added specifically for testing. The picture quality improved and things were good at the launch.

Sadly the Demand Five content reduced in quality. I believe it improved again, but haven't checked for myself recently.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As I have mentioned on several occasions, the content providers are responsible for populating the CUTV & On Demand sections.
      Yes, certainly the providers will have ultimate control over what goes where within the EPG and how its own sections are organised but I would be amazed if Sky's engineers will be trusting these third parties to be feeding content directly into their highly prized Progressive Download system. There has to be a stage at which Sky's own servers and encoders will take over the material which has been delivered according to an agreed format. There used to be a technical document with an overview of how the system worked on the NDS website but since the company got bought by Cisco last year, it no longer seems to be available. I might have made a copy somewhere I can dig out if anyone is interested in the details of how the system works.

The problem with Channel 5 was only with its HD stuff most of which was withdrawn for a couple of weeks. The cynical me would suspect Channel 5 has been cutting some kind of corners here. Whatever the reason, It's all been sorted now and all of the Channel 5 offerings are infintely better quality than content from their own website and the TV apps. This is what gives me hope that Sky will not be letting Channel 4 get away with just handing over their sub-SD quality stuff. As you say, it won't be long now until we find out for sure.

Thanks

Thank you for confirming that the Demand Five HD content has been improved. It was through people complaining to Sky and Channel 5 that this was addressed.

From my understanding, it is not clear whether the content from the likes of BBC, ITV and Channel 5 is held on Sky's own servers. Their respective teams will have the computer systems in place to encrypt the material in a manner that is suitable for streaming to the Sky+ HD STB and they will also have suitable access to label the material for the different sections to which they are allowed to add the material (i.e. CUTV & Library). I suspect that they will not be able to add material to the Movies and Sky Store section, but if someone were to renegotiate the contracts this could change in the future.

As for whether or not to allow say a controversial documentary to be added to the On Demand section, who is to say that the broadcasters can't make such a programme already? Of course there are broadcasting regulations. Perhaps these should be sufficient or do we expect the CUTV & On Demand sections to be better?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I read on teletext last night that the bbc are going to be showing some content on iplayer before it's aired on tv.
      BBC to run shows on iPlayer before broadcast TV - AfterDawn

Wonder if that'll be on the sky version.

edit: Says only upto 40hrs of content here:
      BBC to launch content on iPlayer before TV / TBI Vision
      Last edited by gymno; 11-02-13 at 11:28 AM. Reason: extra info

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

As for whether or not to allow say a controversial documentary to be added to the On Demand section, who is to say that the broadcasters can't make such a programme already? Of course there are broadcasting regulations. Perhaps these should be sufficient or do we expect the CUTV & On Demand sections to be better?
      You've lost me there Scubbie

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast