Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+

This is a discussion on BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+ within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Interesting. Did you see any gaps in film choices between smart TV & Sky with the web version? The amount ...

cylon6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+

Interesting. Did you see any gaps in film choices between smart TV & Sky with the web version? The amount of content is exceptional and I think the much maligned ITV Player is perfect on Sky with no commercials. Also comparing the two BBC iPlayer beats ITV Player for picture quality but ITV Player beats iPlayer for the length of time programmes stay up along with the picture not going funny when you rewind it.

These are very minor quibbles though.

2. Advertisement
      tinkythomas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01935
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BBC iPlayer comes to Sky+

I have also been very impressed with the catch up services. However are Sky planning on updating the firmware to allow content to be available via the TV guide, similar to that of YouView and Freesat's freetime?

Regards,
      Chris

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cylon6 View Post
      Interesting. Did you see any gaps in film choices between smart TV & Sky with the web version?
      The only time I personally noticed any difference in the content was when someone highlighted it. Personally I try to catch the material off the BBC when it is first broadcast or perhaps repeated later in the week off BBC HD perhaps.

The amount of content is exceptional and I think the much maligned ITV Player is perfect on Sky with no commercials. Also comparing the two BBC iPlayer beats ITV Player for picture quality but ITV Player beats iPlayer for the length of time programmes stay up along with the picture not going funny when you rewind it.

These are very minor quibbles though.
      Certainly the level of content now available for people to view is amazing. Admittedly issues such as surround sound or HD are minor to many out there, but if someone is adamant that they need to catch up on on series, then the opportunities are there.

As for the ITV Player, it annoys me that they are only putting SD content on. Sure there will be many who don't use Sky's Unlimited Broadband, but there are more Unlimited packages available now. There are also plenty who have faster connections than myself who would be happy to download HD content.

I would love to see the figures for the number of STBs connected to the Internet in Sky's report at the end of this month. The last financial report mentioned that only around 1.3 million were connected. Since then Sky has been advertising the service a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkythomas View Post
      I have also been very impressed with the catch up services. However are Sky planning on updating the firmware to allow content to be available via the TV guide, similar to that of YouView and Freesat's freetime?
      It has been suggested. I don't think that the Sky+ HD STB would be capable of streaming live content over the Internet, like YouView does. However, this isn't to say that they won't do it if they can.

Over the past few years how we watch our TV content and how we get it has continued to develop and progress ever forward. The Internet has become another major source for people to get something to watch. With the roll out of Fibre based products and ever increasing connection speeds, it can only get better.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Love the iPlayer. Wish we could get a few more tabs on the On Demand section though for some other channels on Sky for 7 day catch up.

Thanks

Love the iPlayer. Wish we could get a few more tabs on the On Demand section though for some other channels on Sky for 7 day catch up.
      Which channels would you like to see?

Channel 4 are to be added in the next couple of months.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Which channels would you like to see?

Channel 4 are to be added in the next couple of months.
      Have they asked anybody to be beta testers for 4oD yet out of interest? As for channels I was thinking if they could put Sky Movies with a selection of the premieres and other programmes shown in the previous 7 days. Also I wouldn't mind Gold/Watch/Fox etc on there with 7 day catch up.

Thanks

There is already a section for the Sky Movies in the Catch Up TV section. Annoyingly all the ones currently there are only SD. However the same content is available in the 'On Demand' section for Sky Movies.

I believe that those who were involved with the Beta of the CUTV section will receive 4oD as a Beta too. Currently there are some other channels being tested. I don't have a launch date, but I would expect 1-2 months of testing based on what we had before.
      speedyrite likes this.

Thanks

They have the Sky Channels in the library section but I'd still like a Sky Movies tab in the 7 day Catch up section.

Thanks

The CUTV section does have a Sky Movies button already.

The content at the moment has 25 films.

I would suggest that if they were to split it up into as many categories as in the Sky TV CUTV area, then it would be harder to find things and often some sections would have perhaps one film. The CUTV should be the most recent films.

As for the Movies part of the library section has many more buttons with different categories, with various search features too.

Try selecting 'HD' and type 'jaw'.

Thanks

I think a couple of extra buttons in the 7 day section would come in handy. Not sure which channels though. Lots of great TV constantly added to the Library section. Wish there was a way of finding what gets added though.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast