Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Everything you need to know about the Sky Hub SR101

This is a discussion on Everything you need to know about the Sky Hub SR101 within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by terryf They should have put at least 6 Ethernet ports on it, now that so much new ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Everything you need to know about the Sky Hub SR101

Quote Originally Posted by terryf View Post
      They should have put at least 6 Ethernet ports on it, now that so much new stuff needs connecting.
      Perhaps a separate Ethernet WAN port would have been a good idea for Sky Fibre customers, but 4 LAN ports is the norm for all domestic routers. If you wish to expand the number of available LAN ports then the simple answer is to purchase a Network Switch with either 5 or 8 ports. There are larger ones available, but these tend to be aimed at the business market.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Steven1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lossiemouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Xbox Sky Player
      Thanks

Is there a Sky sales number you need to ring to get the Sky Hub as an upgrade for 39?

steveing64 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BlytheBridge
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Not sure about a number but if you log into your account and go to telephone ony our packages there is an upgrade button

steveing64 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BlytheBridge
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just ordered mine hopefully the wifi will be better than my old netgear which has been a bit hit and miss the last few months

puppet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveing64 View Post
      Not sure about a number but if you log into your account and go to telephone ony our packages there is an upgrade button
      Couldnt find a way to buy/upgrade online for love nor money. Gave up and phoned instead. To be fair the girl knew exactly what I wanted and it only took about 5 minutes. Got it for the 39 price no problem, think she said that price would remain for existing customers until January.

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Well as i already upgraded to fiber last month i only got the fiber sagem router and i do think the SR101 looks very nice but with nothing new like gigabit ports or anythign i cant justify spending 40 to get one, on the other hand my daughter has just switched from virgin to sky and will be having the phone line/broadband done on 6th Nov so im asuming she will now get the SR101 instead but when i told her this she said she would prefer the sagem 1 i have and could we swap

She is only having ADSL and im on fiber but im asuming we should be good to swap the routers over as they are compatible with both connections, another thing i wondered with this new SR101, the smiley internet icon says it lights to show ur internet connection is ok but would that only be for the adsl socket or when using on fiber would this icon also work from the lan-1 socket ?

Thanks

You could indeed swap the two routers over, but you may experience a delay in the router connecting for the first time on an individual line. This is to be expected and should take no more than half and hour, but has been know to take nearer an hour for the first connection.

After that it tends to take a few minutes.

The Internet LED will illuminate whether the router is connected via ADSL or Fibre. Which specific LAN port to connect the BTO Modem to depends on which set of instructions you follow, they conflict . To be fair, we did ask this question and for a single piece of advice to be provided. I haven't checked recently, but in fairness I don't think that it matters.

Also the Sky+ HD LED will illuminate when the Hub finds a compatible Sky+ HD STB connected to the LAN. Since the new firmware is now being rolled out to all Sky+ HD STBs now, with the exception of the Thomson model, this should mean that you or you daughter should see this work too.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

The marketing says the range is the best ever, but is it noticeably better than the 2504? It still only connects at 144Mbps too

Thanks

Sadly we have previously discussed the connection speed. I too was really hoping that a 300mb router would be supplied.

As for the range, a few people in the beta group did make a positive comment regarding the WiFi performance improvement compared to Sagem 2504N.

One really good thing to note is the stand and orientation of the Sagem 2504N issue. I mean, why did it have to look as if it was on it's edge? This isn't the case with the Sky Hub.

Everything you need to know about the Sky Hub SR101-2012-06-29-13.11.44-cropped.jpg

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

I think I'll reserve judgment on whether it's worth swapping the 2504 for this until there's a consensus on the wi-fi range.

It definitely looks better (it didn't have much competition), and it's a bit Apple-esque being all white (even though all the new Sky boxes are black). How big is it? It looks as wide as a house brick!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast