Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky HUB SR101 Hub To Be Released 18th October 2012

This is a discussion on Sky HUB SR101 Hub To Be Released 18th October 2012 within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR I would buy one at the 39 price, but not the higher one for sure. i ...

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Netgear R7000 Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky HUB SR101 Hub To Be Released 18th October 2012

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I would buy one at the 39 price, but not the higher one for sure.
      i think 39 is still too much when you can get of these TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories for 43 if not cheaper

2. Advertisement
      itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Hoping they give these away as a free upgrade when taking out Fibre, would be nice =D.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      i think 39 is still too much when you can get of these TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories for 43 if not cheaper
      I agree on paper it's a no brainer, the TP-Link is feature rich compared to the Hub, but you have to take into account your average user.

Based on what I read on here I bought the TP-Link for when my Fibre was installed and used it alongside the Sky Router (instead of changing the firmware as I wasn't confident enough to do so).

The TP-Link has oodles of configuration options and a USB port, yet all I got was confused! When I finally got the hard drive I attached recognised performance was poor and the wireless coverage wasn't that much better than my original router. There was plenty of options I could probably have tweaked to get better performance but I didn't know which ones and to be honest, I couldn't be bothered, so I returned it for a refund.

I probably will buy a Hub because the beta testers have said there is a little bit of improvement and because it's easy for me to set up, and that's the bottom line. Funnily enough I would happily buy a Sky Hub/Router for 70, maybe even a little more if it had dual band, gigabit ports and the media streaming friendliness of other more expensive routers, just as long as it was plug and play, because that's what the vast majority of Sky customers probably need.

Ironically I say all this after thinking I was technically minded and I could take on something like the TP-Link myself using the forum resources and to be honest, I got found out.

From now on I just want to keep everything as easy as possible, even if that means I don't have the ultimate performance.
      itype likes this.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Seventy quid for this! Someone is having a laugh, surely. Might be a bit of reverse psychology, leak that it is going to cost 70 and then say, 'in the interest of our customers we are keeping this at the low price of 40'. Makes it look like you are getting a bargain.
      Moxey and itype like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

musicman53 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch, Bristol and Chepstow
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

When my F@ST2504N started acting up, sky offered to send a "new 2504n, the latest ugraded version"but it is the exact same as they sent when I signed up.
      They sent me a rescue disk with the firmware for fibre and not any good for ADSL....
      THEY PROMISED me an SR101...............
      WILL JUST WAIT AND SEE

canonman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

All in all not a great deal of difference then from the F@st2504 N then. I can put up with cheap plasticy looking things as long as they do what their supposed to do. I was hoping for at least dual band which may have sorted a lot of my wireless problems as there are lots of neighbours close by fighting against each other for a bit wifi space. I hoped a 5ghz might have helped a bit, I would have gladly paid. Not so sure about it now, maybe time to check Virgin out.
      Are the Beta testers allowed to tell us their findings on the new router, ie; was it stronger signal reaching to parts where the Sagems couldn't reach or is it still a state secret ?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by canonman View Post
      All in all not a great deal of difference then from the F@st2504 N then. I can put up with cheap plasticy looking things as long as they do what their supposed to do. I was hoping for at least dual band which may have sorted a lot of my wireless problems as there are lots of neighbours close by fighting against each other for a bit wifi space. I hoped a 5ghz might have helped a bit, I would have gladly paid. Not so sure about it now, maybe time to check Virgin out.
      Give serious consideration to getting yourself a nice Dual band Cable router then. I have only stopped using mine as I am taking part in the Beta trial and wanted to give it a fair try.

Where I live there are a lot of WiFi routers as well and loved the fact that no one else was sharing the same 5GHz channel. There are some other 5GHz routers near me, but not close enough to be visible from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by canonman View Post
      Are the Beta testers allowed to tell us their findings on the new router, ie; was it stronger signal reaching to parts where the Sagems couldn't reach or is it still a state secret ?
      The improvement for those who were able to compare it with the Sagem 2504N was noticeable, but not huge. One member on the trial has an issue with stone walls and the Sagem 2504 (WiFi g router) just couldn't cope. There has been no such issue with the Sky Hub SR101.

I am only able to compare it between the Sagem 2304n and Netgear WNDR3800.

Based upon signal strengths only, there wasn't a huge difference between the WNDR3800 and the Sky Hub SR101. The Sagem 2304n was far weaker though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

for me i ant touching this router specs really disapointed me was hoping for 300mps wifi gigabit ports qos and more and you wonder why people pick alternative routers to connect on to sky lol.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

You have the Sagem 2504N already. For the sake of 39 I wouldn't say that it was worth that much to get it in your case.

If you were someone struggling with an older WiFi g router or had a faulty router, then grab it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

69 is an absolute joke. I think the response from customers is going to be so overwhelmingly negative that they'll have no choice but to drop the price, just like the anytime wireless connector. I promote Anytime+ on almost every call and sold a grand total of 0 wireless connectors before the price change!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast