Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 3 Post By NewsreadeR

Sky Customers to Enjoy Comprehensive Access to the Best of Channel 4 - On-Demand, On-the-Go

This is a discussion on Sky Customers to Enjoy Comprehensive Access to the Best of Channel 4 - On-Demand, On-the-Go within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky and Channel 4 have entered into a new agreement that will see a range of Channel 4’s linear channels ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Customers to Enjoy Comprehensive Access to the Best of Channel 4 - On-Demand, On-the-Go

Sky and Channel 4 have entered into a new agreement that will see a range of Channel 4’s linear channels and its market-leading on-demand service 4oD become available across Sky’s digital platforms. With content being added to both Sky’s TV on-demand service and Sky Go, and with new High Definition (HD) channels launching onto the Sky platform, millions of Sky homes will enjoy greater control and flexibility over where, when and how they enjoy the best of Channel 4.

The agreement, which builds on Sky’s leadership in HD, TV on-demand and viewing on-the-go, includes:

* 4oD launching on Sky’s TV on-demand service. Sky’s on-demand service will expand to offer hundreds of hours of recent and classic Channel 4 shows - including complete series of its iconic franchises - all available to watch at the touch of a button. The service is available to the more than 5 million homes with a Sky TV subscription, a compatible Sky+HD box and a broadband connection.

4oD is the UK’s most successful commercial video on-demand service, based on long form video requests, and this new partnership with Sky will enable even more viewers to access Channel 4’s legendary comedy, drama, factual and entertainment shows, whenever they want.

When 4oD launches on Sky’s on-demand service early next year, Sky customers will be able to access catch-up content from all UK terrestrial networks, in addition to a wide variety of pay TV broadcasters, creating a comprehensive on-demand library and giving customers even more control and flexibility over their viewing.

* Channel 4, E4, More 4 and Film 4 to be added to Sky Go, Sky’s online and mobile TV service. Channel 4’s linear channels, together with a range of archive content from 4oD (excluding movies), will be added to Sky Go, providing Sky customers with multiplatform access to live and on-demand TV on-the-go.

Channel 4 will become the first terrestrial network to be added to Sky Go, joining Sky’s wholly-owned channels as well as a selection of other leading broadcasters including Disney, ESPN, Turner, Nickelodeon and British Eurosport.

Sky Go - which is available on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, selected Android Smartphones, Xbox 360, PC and Mac - is currently used by more than 2.7 million Sky customers.

* Two new High Definition channels, Film4 HD and More4HD, to join Sky+HD. Following on from the launch of Channel 4 HD and E4 HD, both of which first launched to UK viewers through the Sky platform, two further channels will become available to Sky’s 4.3 million high definition customers for the first time – Film4 HD and More 4 HD.

This will complete the HD roll-out of Channel 4’s core channel portfolio, which began in 2006 when Channel 4 became the first commercial Public Service Broadcaster to launch an HD service.
      This means that Sky homes will be able to access 66 HD channels, further extending Sky’s HD leadership. Sky+HD is Europe’s most comprehensive and popular HD service.

As part of the new agreement, Channel 4 will also receive viewing insight from Sky. Through Sky IQ, Sky’s customer intelligence division, the broadcaster will receive insight and analysis on viewing of Channel 4’s content on TV, online and on mobile. The insight will include aggregated and anonymous demographic information in addition to viewing figures to help Channel 4 further understand its audiences, supporting its Viewer Engagement strategy.

Channel 4 will have ownership of all advertising inventory around its content available across Sky platforms, enhancing its successful digital and on-demand partnerships with clients and advertisers.
      Rob Webster, Director of Sky’s Commercial Group, comments: “Sky is committed to giving our customers total control and flexibility over how and when they access their favourite shows. We already offer the best of pay TV on-demand and on-the-go, and now, with the addition of Channel 4, we’re adding the complete line-up of terrestrial shows too. No other service will offer greater choice or convenience.

“Sky homes are embracing innovations such as Sky Go and TV on-demand in record numbers, and the addition of more quality content will create even more value for our customers.”
      Sarah Rose, Channel 4’s Director of Commercial & Business Development, said: “We’re delighted to have entered into this far-reaching partnership with Sky which will see Channel 4 content and our very successful VOD service, 4oD, span an even greater audience reach and enable more viewers to enjoy our programmes than ever before. And with the launch of More4 HD and the addition of Film4 HD, we’re thrilled to be able to complete the roll out of our HD portfolio.

“Alongside the wealth of services launching on Sky’s platforms, the data partnership with Sky will help us to understand how our audiences are enjoying our content across these platforms, bolstering our Viewer Engagement strategy which sees viewer data at the heart of Channel 4’s innovative programme and commercial strategies.”

Sky has also extended its relationship with Channel 4 for the carriage of Channel 4, E4 and More4 in the Republic of Ireland, where these channels form part of Sky’s subscription service.

For more information, customers can visit: www.sky.com/catchup. Catch-up content joins Sky’s TV on-demand service from October. Channel 4 content will be added in the new year.
      stereohaven, gymno and Zino_Jones like this.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

cylon6 (25-10-12),Scubbie (14-09-12),TigerRob (14-09-12)

3. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky Customers to Enjoy Comprehensive Access to the Best of Channel 4 - On-Demand, On-the-Go

Sky has also extended its relationship with Channel 4 for the carriage of Channel 4, E4 and More4 in the Republic of Ireland, where these channels form part of Sky’s subscription service.

For more information, customers can visit: www.sky.com/catchup. Catch-up content joins Sky’s TV on-demand service from October. Channel 4 content will be added in the new year.
      These last lines are interesting too.

Firstly Subscribers in Ireland will get 4oD included, which I think is excellent news for them.

The second piece is also very good news too: Confirming the launch date of Catch Up TV in October.

However this piece I am a little upset about:

Channel 4, E4, More 4 and Film 4 to be added to Sky Go, Sky's online and mobile TV service.
      Channel 4's linear channels, together with a range of archive content from 4oD (excluding movies), will be added to Sky Go, providing Sky customers with multiplatform access to live and on-demand TV on-the-go.
      Well if they are excluding movies, then surely there won't be much content coming from Film 4?

The "multiplatform access" piece could mean that all the Catch Up TV will also be added to Sky Go. This would normally be very nice, except for the fact that Sky Go is not very good as it is too locked down and crashes too regularly on my phone.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Speccy 48 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky Customers to Enjoy Comprehensive Access to the Best of Channel 4 - On-Demand, On-the-Go

Scubbie,

If catch-up is rolling out in October:

Do I presume that customers that haven't yet got the updated EPG (as I have a Pace box) won't get the catch-up tv as we will need the updated EPG first?

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Speccy 48 View Post
      Scubbie,

Do I presume that customers that haven't yet got the updated EPG (as I have a Pace box) won't get the catch-up tv as we will need the updated EPG first?
      It could mean that - or it could mean your software will be ready by then. They have only just opened things to public beta testing but have been testing internally for a couple of months now, so who knows. It could of course also be the reason why the iPlayer is not going to be there at launch. Maybe the Trust have stipulated it must be available to the full customer base who have compatible boxes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Speccy 48 View Post

I think that this is a safe bet. A major part of the beta testing was not only to introduce the new look and feel, but also to make way for the new Catch Up TV service. In addition the planner sharing features are also being made available too.

The beta testing for the new EPG has now been publicly announced. I would suggest that you follow the clear instructions and apply if you are interested in taking part.

What I will say is that there have been many people spotting different issues in the beta testing. I don't think it would be fair to say what these are here, but like with all software which is developed, a few bugs existed. It has been fun spotting these, providing suitable feedback and seeing the issues resolved. The result is that you know that once the EPG is publicly launched each piece will work well.

I don't know how the planned testing programme for the Samsung, Pace and DRX780 will take shape. I would imagine that it would be a little quicker than it was for the Amstrad DRX890 & DRX895s. I believe that the testing should be completed by the end of the year, but who knows with these things. The beta testing for the DRX890 & DRX895s has been going on since April and we are still monitoring for further changes to be added.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      ...It could of course also be the reason why the iPlayer is not going to be there at launch. Maybe the Trust have stipulated it must be available to the full customer base who have compatible boxes?
      This is a possibility, but since other providers are jumping in earlier it does make Auntie look a little slow on the uptake compared with ITV, who Sky announced would join at the same time as the BBC and Channel 5, who Sky announced would join a little over a month or so ago.

Of course anyone who is using the white Sky+ STB may now wish to think about whether they too would like to jump on board now with all this on-line content being made available. Whilst they may only have a CRT TV, the Sky+ HD STBs will happily work with these TVs still.

Also if anyone has a standard Sky STB, then now would also be a good time to consider searching places like eBay for a DRX595 (SkyHD STB) as this will also be having additional features added at a later date.

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Scubbie can you flick the button so my stb updates plz its my birthday next month so i consider it a present lol

Thanks

Hmmm.... Lets see, you didn't get me a pressie last month...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      However this piece I am a little upset about:

Channel 4's linear channels, together with a range of archive content from 4oD (excluding movies), will be added to Sky Go, providing Sky customers with multiplatform access to live and on-demand TV on-the-go.

Well if they are excluding movies, then surely there won't be much content coming from Film 4?
      I would say that what's printed between the commas was intended to be considered in isolation, so only the movies that are normally accessible from 4oD's archive will be omitted & not Film 4's normal schedule.

Thanks

You could be right, but we shall have to wait and see I guess.