Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Line Rental Changes

This is a discussion on Sky Line Rental Changes within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; If you're already a Sky customer and you have Sky Talk Freetime you'll be able to keep this product once ...

Gavin20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Virgin Media Super Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Line Rental Changes

If you're already a Sky customer and you have Sky Talk Freetime you'll be able to keep this product once the changes take place on September 1st only new customers on or after september 1st are affected

Sky Account and Billing | Sky price changes for 2012 - click Are there any other changes to Sky Broadband and Sky Talk?

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

That's fair enough but usually with sky, when they make a change like this it does come into effect for existing customers a year later.

Personally, i don't have an issue with the standard price increase, although like stereohaven suggested, it is unlike sky to not be pricing just below everyone else.

What i find odd is the removal of free weekday evenings.
      The term "free eve/we" is something that's embedded in people's minds in the uk & on that basis i do agree with snadge, in so much as people will definitely be thinking twice about sky for their landline now, whereas before (IMO) it was a no brainer.
      Last edited by gymno; 29-08-12 at 04:10 PM. Reason: made reference to wrong forum member

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

BT charge 14.60 per month for line rental.

BT Phone land lines – monthly phone line rental

it is unlike sky to not be pricing just below everyone else.
      So Sky offer exactly the same as BT for new customers, but 10p a month cheaper.

Unless I am missing something, exisiting customers will be 2.10 a month better off than changing to BT - So what incentive is there for those to leave and go to BT?

All Sky are doing is aligning their pricing, admittedly they will make more profit if 12.50 is still sustainable, but afterall, they are only mirroring real life pricing.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

"So what incentive is there for those to leave and go to BT?"

None whatsoever... For existing customers... For now.

I was thinking of a potential new customer, sitting down & doing the maths or using a price comparison site.

Also, BT aren't the only other provider.
      My mum for instance, is with a company so non-descript that i can't even remember their name.
      They'e a BT reseller & her monthly charge is 13 odd.
      Recently, i've had her saying that when her contract is up, she's going with sky but that won't be happening now.

edit: that 10p will be eaten up with one 2 minute 0845 call.
      Last edited by gymno; 26-08-12 at 09:36 PM.
      Fryingpan77 likes this.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I was thinking of a potential new customer, sitting down & doing the maths or using a price comparison site.
      If people want Sky Broadband, they have to have Sky Line Rental.

If people have Sky TV then they may also possibly think that Sky Broadband is more attractive than other Broadband packages available elsewhere, therefore they would have to weigh up putting all their eggs in one basket. This may save them money in the overall picture, it may not.

I appreciate that if people shop around, they could get a cheaper Line Rental, but then is the Broadband cheaper, or as good value, perception wise?

Its not that I disagree with the points raised, I just don't believe that it will harm Sky in the slightest, as they are signing up in their thousands daily.

2 a month is not going to stop them, if they want a decent Broadband package cheaper thus wiping out the 2 a month extra on the Line Rental. People have a choice, and human nature shows that we want the cheapest price all around, not just on one product.

I am with BT and I didn't even know that line rental was that much now, been with them for about 25 years or so. I just pay quarterly DD and have all my calls free. Suits me fine, I made the choice to go back to Sky before 1st September 2011 for Broadband, before I had to take their line rental. It may not suit others.

If people shop around they can always get a better deal, thats true also, but if they want Sky Broadband, then they have to bite the bullet and pay the Line Rental. If they compare to BT then on face value, the Line Rental is actually cheaper.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

The old Sky vs BT vs TalkTalk vs VM vs any other ISP/call provider

Certainly the pricing does make it closer now.

Ultimately if XXX ISP offered you a 20mb connection & telephone line for 5 p/month would you switch to them? Based on price it sounds fantastic. What if they crippled your connection speed between 3pm and midnight and then charged you 1 to connect a local phone call or their customer service was rubbish? Would you still switch to them?

Personally I found BT's customer service very very very bad. TalkTalk has a terrible reputation. VM isn't so good either.

I know that some individuals have had problems too with Sky, so I can't say that Sky has a 100% clean record.

In the most recent Ofcom reports that I can think of though, Sky came out best, with BT and VM close behind.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Gavin20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darlington
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media
      Router: Virgin Media Super Hub
      Thanks

BT have today announced that there line rental will leap to 15.45 in 2013. This will again make sky the cheapest for line rental by 0.90 a month which works out at 10.80 a year

Full price daytime calls will go up from 7.95p per minute to 8.41p.

The cost of its most popular calls package, Unlimited Anytime Plan, rises by 25p a month to 5.15.

And some broadband and BT Vision customers will also be hit with price rises and the price of BT’s cheapest TV deal, Essential, will rise 1 a month to 5.

BT piles on misery for families as bills soar

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin20 View Post
      And some broadband and BT Vision customers will also be hit with price rises and the price of BT’s cheapest TV deal, Essential, will rise 1 a month to 5.
      hmm... 5 to watch freeview through the BT Vision Box?

Somehow I don't think so.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

15.45 that is an absolute disgrace for line rental

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      15.45 that is an absolute disgrace for line rental
      The cost of fibre upgrade doesn't come cheap, they've got to get the money from somewhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast