Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

Sky Go To Allow More Devices?

This is a discussion on Sky Go To Allow More Devices? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; It is a competitive market out there and all these applications and services give extra value for money. Add ons ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Go To Allow More Devices?

It is a competitive market out there and all these applications and services give extra value for money.
      Add ons like these ensure that people do not leave Sky, as we become too dependent on them. Simple marketing. Give the people something they need, and they will stay.

The fact that Sky don't allow 4 devices is a moot point, no one is going to leave anyway because of it, afterall its free.

4 devices is a desirable, not an essential.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It is a competitive market out there and all these applications and services give extra value for money. It allows subscribers to watch material which they might otherwise struggle to see and break up long journeys on the train, for example.
      Cant disagree with your first point, as for the second I've never struggled to watch anything as what I want is on the hd box, and as for on the train I can see that being desirable but my experience is that its too choppy.
      That bugged the hell out of me and I ended up listening to music instead.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I guess that streaming a live program does depend greatly on a good 3G or WiFi reception. Some train do provide this, but charge for the service unless to opt for 1st Class.

Downloading content to a Laptop is certainly a good idea otherwise.

A couple of friends got caught in some heavy snow a couple of Christmases ago. They watched a film on ITV on a phone whilst they waited for the road ahead to be cleared. It took a few hours, but they enjoyed watching the film.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I guess that streaming a live program does depend greatly on a good 3G or WiFi reception. Some train do provide this, but charge for the service unless to opt for 1st Class.

Downloading content to a Laptop is certainly a good idea otherwise.

A couple of friends got caught in some heavy snow a couple of Christmases ago. They watched a film on ITV on a phone whilst they waited for the road ahead to be cleared. It took a few hours, but they enjoyed watching the film.
      Who were they with to get that amount of Internet data without a penalty I wonder?!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      Who were they with to get that amount of Internet data without a penalty I wonder?!!
      The contract that she was with at the time was unlimited. I can't recall who she was with at the time, but she has since changed her phone, perhaps her contract too.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      I honestly cannot believe how many people complain about a free service. Most Sky Go customers are Sky TV subscribers, so that means you get the service for free. This is effectively Sky giving you additional multirooms for absolutely nothing. Yeah, it's limited content for now, but it's still something extra that you do not have to pay for. I can understand that if you subscribed to Sky Go rather than Sky TV then you might be a little annoyed by the device limit, but I do not understand the audacity of people to complain about a free service.

I say Sky should charge an additional 5 for more devices, and should allow Sky Go subscribers 3 devices instead of 2 just because they pay for it already. They can then pay 5 for 2 more as well, giving them 5 if they really need it.
      The problem is though that under its previous guise of SkyPlayer you were allowed 4 computers plus a few free selected other devices to be registered. It was also alot easier to change devices.

With the world becoming more online the obvious thing for SkyGo would be to allow more devices, the initial word out of sky kept saying 7 with 2 streaming at once but on launch it was down to 2 devices total (even though the support staff on the sky help forums insisted it was 7). So they have actually downgraded the service they were offering us. Its really crippled the service for no reason when they didnt need to, they just needed to limit the simultaneous number of streams

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

As usual to the end user it seems a simple thing but the number of devices connecting at the same time and those registered will be dependant on things such as licence agreements with TV/film companies. The other thing to consider is how will Sky Go sit alongside Now TV? Although two seperate products they will have to manage them both so that they work as a solo package but without damaging each other.

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      As usual to the end user it seems a simple thing but the number of devices connecting at the same time and those registered will be dependant on things such as licence agreements with TV/film companies. The other thing to consider is how will Sky Go sit alongside Now TV? Although two seperate products they will have to manage them both so that they work as a solo package but without damaging each other.
      But it was simple as they already had the agreements in place to allow 4 devices as thats what it was under SkyPlayer. Not only did they reduce the number of devices but they also are offering less channels than they were under SkyPlayer

marty2014 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Trafford
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

HiI'd wouldn't mind if the number of devices allowed to be registered remained the same or if it was increased to say 4.What I would like to see is movies,sport etc in HD on Sky Go.With the roll out of Fibre Broadband could this be a possibility? Thanks
      Last edited by marty2014; 17-05-12 at 04:28 PM. Reason: sig added
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic58163_1.gif

Thanks

There are rumours floating around that Sky is working on improving the video quality to HD for Sky Go. We'll hopefully know more closer to when they are ready to launch.

Personally i would love to sit down and chat with someone over various improvements that could be made. For example the Sky Go app on the computer allows you to download content, but the app on my phone doesn't. I have sufficient memory on my phone to download a few movies, so why not allow it to download a couple of movies from my home WiFi and allow me to watch them whilst on the move?

For anyone who has a limited data allowance or if you are travelling through the tunnels, it would mean great uninterrupted coverage.

The next thing is that the Laptop doesn't allow you to view live content, unless you navigate to Sky's website. Why not just embed it into the application?
      Meteosat and Angel_Rex like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

marty2014 (17-05-12)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast