Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

This is a discussion on Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Faust I take it you have read the literally thousands of complaints of snail pace BB speeds ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
      I take it you have read the literally thousands of complaints of snail pace BB speeds due to Sky's traffic management policy each evening between 4pm and midnight? Even without it the service is pretty dire. Do a search on this forum.
      I am very aware how bad Connect is.

You'll find me advising people against Connect all the time as a result.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

I have to say I like anytime+, and can stream/download on my 6meg connection on Sky unlimited.

Not everything on the WWW is avalible to everyone everywhere.. its just the nature of the beast... In an ideal world it would be nice if all ISP had LLU exchanges and unlimited surfing.. but they dont! Im sure Sky and other ISP's have reasons for not either putting their equipment in exchanges.

If you are not able to get an ISP who has LLU equipment and the data package you require then isnt the best possible move to change to another ISP that does offer either LLU/Unlimited data? Its not always the best solution or the cheapest but if you want to go for level of service sometimes you just have to.

As for Anytime+, Its great to see everyone get a chance to have a bit of it. I wish the search feature was a little better but as a free additional service its great. I find myself flicking through anytime + more than the normal movie channels now and with BBC iPlayer on the way it can only get better...

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Thanks

Oh drat!
      It took me half an hour to move stuff in the media cabinet to get at the network cable to disconnect it following a move to BT FTTC - Now I'm going to have to do it all again!!

Thanks

In the announcements last Tuesday BSkyB did make it clear that they would be continuing to roll out their LLU equipment to many more local telephone exchanges across the country.

Whilst no specific exchanges were mentioned, they set a target of being able to reach 88% of the population by June 2013. Currently they reach around 80% of the population.

I am sure that other ISPs will have seen that statement too and will be considering their plans for the future as a result.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      Oh drat!
      It took me half an hour to move stuff in the media cabinet to get at the network cable to disconnect it following a move to BT FTTC - Now I'm going to have to do it all again!!
      Don't worry just yet. It may be possible to use your existing router & BTO Modem with Sky. Of course no one can answer that just yet, but you never know

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      I have to say I like anytime+, and can stream/download on my 6meg connection on Sky unlimited.

Not everything on the WWW is avalible to everyone everywhere.. its just the nature of the beast... In an ideal world it would be nice if all ISP had LLU exchanges and unlimited surfing.. but they dont! Im sure Sky and other ISP's have reasons for not either putting their equipment in exchanges.

If you are not able to get an ISP who has LLU equipment and the data package you require then isnt the best possible move to change to another ISP that does offer either LLU/Unlimited data? Its not always the best solution or the cheapest but if you want to go for level of service sometimes you just have to.

As for Anytime+, Its great to see everyone get a chance to have a bit of it. I wish the search feature was a little better but as a free additional service its great. I find myself flicking through anytime + more than the normal movie channels now and with BBC iPlayer on the way it can only get better...
      Market 1 exchange less than a thousand customers - need I say more? Despite BT banging their drum about ultra high speeds and bringing forward their completion date for 80% of the country to have high speed broadband by the end of 2014 what they don't tell you is that is population not geographical. There are still thousands of M1 exchanges on the original up to 8mbps BB.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      In the announcements last Tuesday BSkyB did make it clear that they would be continuing to roll out their LLU equipment to many more local telephone exchanges across the country.

Whilst no specific exchanges were mentioned, they set a target of being able to reach 88% of the population by June 2013. Currently they reach around 80% of the population.

I am sure that other ISPs will have seen that statement too and will be considering their plans for the future as a result.
      Same answer as in post 39

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
      Market 1 exchange less than a thousand customers - need I say more? Despite BT banging their drum about ultra high speeds and bringing forward their completion date for 80% of the country to have high speed broadband by the end of 2014 what they don't tell you is that is population not geographical. There are still thousands of M1 exchanges on the original up to 8mbps BB.
      Coverage based on population rather than geographical location has always been used first by mobile operators then by BT and no doubt many others.

I am sure they have reasons for what every they do, with such a small exchange I am not sure if and ISP would see it worth their while to update it... I am sure they would take into account expected uptake....

Would not be best emailing Ian Livingston rather than venting here?
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

It is worth pointing out that this thread is in danger of going off-topic. Perhaps it might be better to start a new thread to discuss where Sky LLU equipment may or may not be installed?

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      Coverage based on population rather than geographical location has always been used first by mobile operators then by BT and no doubt many others.

I am sure they have reasons for what every they do, with such a small exchange I am not sure if and ISP would see it worth their while to update it... I am sure they would take into account expected uptake....

Would not be best emailing Ian Livingston rather than venting here?
      Whilst being mindful of taking the subject off topic as Scubbie says I would just say this on the subject. I am not on my own with being in this position, as I said previously there are thousands and thousands of customers in this position. Residents in our locality have written to Ian Livingston, got our local councillors involved, our local MP etc. etc. All you get is tea & sympathy and lots of aims and ambition statements - nothing else. Whatever the government and ISP's of every colour would have you believe the digital divide in Britain is widening not getting smaller. However, the real picture is being slewed by percentages being used i.e. the latest average BB speed in the UK is now 7.8mbps. This is being slewed by products such as BT Infinity as if a few thousand get a very high speed this then brings up the average but doesn't actually tell the true story.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast