Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 21 to 30 of 48
    Like Tree1Likes

    Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

    This is a discussion on Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I reckon September 2012 price for Sky TV will be biggest rise ever!...

    1. #21
      bulldog147's Avatar
      bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      163
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      I reckon September 2012 price for Sky TV will be biggest rise ever!


    2. Advertisement
    3. #22
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      26,836
      Thanks
      764
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      Quote Originally Posted by bulldog147 View Post
      I reckon September 2012 price for Sky TV will be biggest rise ever!
      Whether it is or isn't, it won't affect you because you do not subscribe to Sky TV or Sky Broadband or Sky Talk.

      However by the end of April we will have so many more channels than you, on our Unlimited Broadband connections, I guess you could say that you get what you pay for.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    4. #23
      skippy75's Avatar
      skippy75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Posts
      41
      Thanks
      7
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      Quote Originally Posted by bulldog147 View Post
      It already now on Humax foxsat. Far better than Sky as it cost me 0.00 a year subscription freesat!

      Why on earth are you on a forum for sky users!?


      This is great news, i wish 4od was included too tho, sounds like its going to be a long time before it is.

    5. #24
      Ian Thompson's Avatar
      Ian Thompson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Gateshead, Tyne and Wear.
      Posts
      132
      Thanks
      4
      Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      Quote Originally Posted by skippy75 View Post
      Why on earth are you on a forum for sky users!?


      This is great news, i wish 4od was included too tho, sounds like its going to be a long time before it is.
      And Channel 5 as well hopefully!!
      Ian.

    6. #25
      dankargo's Avatar
      dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Romford
      Posts
      336
      Thanks
      27
      Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      Not forgetting, some of us will soon be enjoying completely unlimited fibre broadband soon

    7. #26
      Faust's Avatar
      Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      306
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      My thoughts are - how on earth will this service run on Sky Connect are sky going to offer a QOS, plus I can already do all this and much much more through my iPad and ATV2.

    8. #27
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      26,836
      Thanks
      764
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
      My thoughts are - how on earth will this service run on Sky Connect are sky going to offer a QOS, plus I can already do all this and much much more through my iPad and ATV2.
      Anyone who has Sky Connect will be able to connect their Sky+ HD STB to their home network, in the same way and anyone who have the Unlimited and Home Lite products.

      The real issue will be with their bandwidth. If someone want to download a HD movie, there is a good chance that it will be bigger than their daily limit. The result is that anyone downloading lots of Anytime+ content will quickly find that there speed is capped to silly speeds.

      However, the bandwidth limitation is not just limited to the Connect product. The basic ADSL package from PlusNet has a 10GB per month limit. Other packages from other ISPs will also have low limits.

      Should Sky be responsible for these customers and their respective bandwidths?

      Sure there are many people out there who have no idea about bandwidths and the consequences of going over them. Sadly many will find out the hard way that they can easily go over them with Anytime+ if they are not careful.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    9. #28
      Faust's Avatar
      Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      306
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Anyone who has Sky Connect will be able to connect their Sky+ HD STB to their home network, in the same way and anyone who have the Unlimited and Home Lite products.

      The real issue will be with their bandwidth. If someone want to download a HD movie, there is a good chance that it will be bigger than their daily limit. The result is that anyone downloading lots of Anytime+ content will quickly find that there speed is capped to silly speeds.

      However, the bandwidth limitation is not just limited to the Connect product. The basic ADSL package from PlusNet has a 10GB per month limit. Other packages from other ISPs will also have low limits.

      Should Sky be responsible for these customers and their respective bandwidths?

      Sure there are many people out there who have no idea about bandwidths and the consequences of going over them. Sadly many will find out the hard way that they can easily go over them with Anytime+ if they are not careful.
      I think perhaps you may have missed the real point I was trying to make i.e. Sky Connect is a dreadful service, just being able to to run BBC iPlayer is a plus never mind the constant buffering hence my reference to will Sky be giving a QOS assurance? You mention bandwidth - again with many Connect users a sore point as they pay far more per month for Connect than a proper unlimited Sky BB LLU connection yet they will be capped.

    10. #29
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      26,836
      Thanks
      764
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      I didn't really miss your point. I cannot see Sky ignoring the bandwidth allowance taken by downloading Anytime+ content.

      As for QoS, Connect is an ADSL1 based package. Many subscribers will be able to achieve the full 8mb/s speeds.

      However once the speed is reduced to a snail's pace because the monthly allowance has been exceeded, I really can't see Sky increasing it just for Anytime+ content.

      The best option would be for Sky to bite the bullet and increase the Connect monthly allowance to 100GB. Unfortunately I can't see this happening at the moment.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    11. #30
      Faust's Avatar
      Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      306
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Anytime+ Goes from Strength to Strength with More Content and Increased Reach

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I didn't really miss your point. I cannot see Sky ignoring the bandwidth allowance taken by downloading Anytime+ content.

      As for QoS, Connect is an ADSL1 based package. Many subscribers will be able to achieve the full 8mb/s speeds.

      However once the speed is reduced to a snail's pace because the monthly allowance has been exceeded, I really can't see Sky increasing it just for Anytime+ content.

      The best option would be for Sky to bite the bullet and increase the Connect monthly allowance to 100GB. Unfortunately I can't see this happening at the moment.
      I take it you have read the literally thousands of complaints of snail pace BB speeds due to Sky's traffic management policy each evening between 4pm and midnight? Even without it the service is pretty dire. Do a search on this forum.

     

     
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2014. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION | SEO by vBSEO