Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By NewsreadeR

UKTV enters VoD market with landmark HD content deal with Sky

This is a discussion on UKTV enters VoD market with landmark HD content deal with Sky within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Friday 29th July 2011 Ė Britainís second biggest pay TV broadcaster, UKTV, has cemented its pay TV commitment by signing ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Friday 29th July 2011 Ė Britainís second biggest pay TV broadcaster, UKTV, has cemented its pay TV commitment by signing a landmark content deal with BSkyB (Sky) to launch its first video on demand (VoD) service on Sky Anytime+ and a further three high definition (HD) channels.

This move will make the award-winning network Britainís largest HD content partner, strengthening UKTVís HD offering to five of its 10 evocative channel brands. With Eden HD and Good Food HD already available to Sky viewers, Watch HD and Dave HD are scheduled to launch in October, with Alibi HD going live in 2012.

This high-profile agreement is particularly notable as it includes UKTVís first VoD distribution deal, with content scheduled to launch on Sky Anytime+ this September. Titles to be made available include Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who and Planet Earth.

UKTVís Executive Director, Commercial, Keith Porritt says, ďWe are thrilled to become Skyís largest partner supplier of HD channels with High Definition versions of some of our leading channel brands, and itís tremendously satisfying to be finally launching ours first VoD service this autumn. UKTVís position in the market is so unique, that weíre confident our HD and VoD offerings will really add value to Sky and their customers.Ē

Rob Webster, Skyís Commercial Director, adds: ďWeíre delighted that UKTV is taking further advantage of Sky's platform innovation in HD, and will soon also be making its content available on demand via Sky Anytime+. Millions of Sky homes have embraced HD and now simply expect to see their favourite programmes in high definition, while Sky Anytime+ is really making its mark too. This is great news for Sky customers, driving yet more value into their Sky subscription."

Initially launching with hundreds of hours of programming throughout the year cherry picked from across its network, UKTVís VoD service which will be refreshed on a monthly basis and nine box sets will be made available to Sky Anytime+ viewers every year. UKTVís service will offer crown jewels from the BBC archive, well regarded third party acquisitions and high-profile UKTV commissions, such as: Fawlty Towers and Fry and Laurie: Reunited on Gold; Doctor Who and Total Wipeout USA on Watch; New Tricks and Murdoch Mysteries on Alibi; Top Gear and Argumental on Dave; Planet Earth and The Long Way Round on Eden; Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and My Flat Pack Home on Home; and Rick Steinís French Odyssey and Rachel Allen: Bake! on Good Food.

Scubbie likes this.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: UKTV enters VoD market with landmark HD content deal with Sky

Will UKTV's anytime+ content be free? (with the basic Entertainment Pack, not Entertainment Extra)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcphailan. View Post
      Will UKTV's anytime+ content be free? (with the basic Entertainment Pack, not Entertainment Extra)
      Dave, Gold, Watch & Alibi are all available on the standard Entertainment Pack from September 2011.

Enjoy More

So I for one would expect the UKTV Anytime+ content to be available for those who are able to get Anytime+ & subscribe to the Entertainment Pack.

I doubt that they would give up the opportunity to include their HD channels in the HD Pack though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mcphailan. (29-07-11)

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Dave, Gold, Watch & Alibi are all available on the standard Entertainment Pack from September 2011.

Enjoy More

So I for one would expect the UKTV Anytime+ content to be available for those who are able to get Anytime+ & subscribe to the Entertainment Pack.

I doubt that they would give up the opportunity to include their HD channels in the HD Pack though.
      Thanks for that link - it has just shown me I regain TCM channels in basic pack from September I lost these when I downgraded to Variety pack. SO happy!!! (I think Style & Culture, to which TCM belongs, is being thrown in with Variety pack).

Though my nautural cynicism makes me wonder if there may well be a heftier-than-usual price increase in Sep 2012....we'll see.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcphailan. View Post
      Though my nautural cynicism makes me wonder if there may well be a heftier-than-usual price increase in Sep 2012....we'll see.
      Of course there will be. £1.1 Billion profits for 2010-2011 isn't enough.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mcphailan. (29-07-11)