Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BBC and Sky Partner for Live Formula 1 Rights

This is a discussion on BBC and Sky Partner for Live Formula 1 Rights within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; BBC TV and Sky Sports have been awarded the live rights to Formula 1TM between 2012 and 2018. The move ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

BBC and Sky Partner for Live Formula 1 Rights

BBC TV and Sky Sports have been awarded the live rights to Formula 1TM between 2012 and 2018.

The move will bring increased choice, innovation and breadth of coverage to UK and Irish motor racing fans.

The two leading UK sports broadcasters will offer fans unparalleled live High Definition coverage of every race of the season.

The broadcasting partnership will include:

• All races, qualifying and practice sessions live on Sky Sports across TV, Online and Mobile and Tablet devices
      • Half the races and qualifying sessions remain live on BBC TV, Online and Mobile including key races such at the British Grand Prix, Monaco Grand Prix and the final race of the season.
      • Extensive BBC highlights on TV, Online and Mobile, of all races and qualifying sessions that BBC is not covering live
      • Build up coverage of each Grand Prix on BBC News, Sky Sports News and Sky News
      • Extensive multi-platform coverage including red button, bbc.co.uk/sport and skysports.com

The audiences brought by Sky and BBC will ensure Formula 1TM reaches the widest possible audience. BBC Radio Five and Sports Extra will continue to cover every race live.

Barbara Slater, Director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1TM will remain on the BBC. The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10 year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments. With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence fee payers. "

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1TM fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD. We will give F1TM the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television. As well as unrivalled build up to each race on Sky Sports News, we will broadcast in-depth live coverage of every session. Sky customers with Sky Sports will also be able to enjoy F1TM across multiple platforms and devices, including Sky Go."

Formula 1TM will join the line-up of live sport on Sky Sports, which marked its 20th birthday in April. Subscribers can enjoy Barclays Premier League and UEFA Champions League football, England Test matches, three of golf's four Majors including the Masters from Augusta, international, European and domestic rugby union, Super League rugby and a host of other sports events.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,584 Posts

Re: BBC and Sky Partner for Live Formula 1 Rights

BBC 3 v Sky 17

I am sure BBC will be overjoyed, not. I can't see them keeping their broadcast team together for 3 live races and a few qualifying sessions. As for reaching the 'widest possible audience', what nonsense. I can see many of the sponsors logos disappearing from the cars. I am afraid greed has got the better of the F1 owners, they may regret it as many of the smaller teams' sponsers may withdraw and with them, the teams.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

It's gonna cost us is all this means.

Some how BBC will lose content and Sky will just make people stump up to watch it, that's why it never took off last time Sky showed it.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      ...I am afraid greed has got the better of the F1 owners, they may regret it as many of the smaller teams' sponsers may withdraw and with them, the teams.
      I doubt it. Formula 1 is not a competition that is for profit. It is more about prestige and sexism.

Sure there are some improvements made to cars that are used by everyone else, but these are a minority issue now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I think it is a bad thing tbh

Last time Sky had it, it cost about 50 for the season to watch, and the coverage was nowhere near as good as the BBC's

The only way Sky can make it work properly, is to charge no extra and employ Jake and the rest of the team to present it.

A lot of people are very unhappy about it if you read online blogs / Twitter etc

Whilst I appreciate that Sky have invested heavily etc to get this, there are some things, that just need to be free to air - The BBC must be stupid, or skint imo

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Just when BBC got it back and it works they go and stuff it up.

I mean FFS if it ain't broke don't fix it.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Well I for one will not be tempted to fork out the extra 12 a month it would cost me to get both the Sky sports channels just to watch F1 once a month.

Whilst some races have become more interesting lately, that is a rather steep price to pay.

N.B. The 12 is based on prices from September 2011, the fact that I already have both Movie packs & you may need to subscribe to both Sky Sports 1 & 2 in order to see it. If it were only on one of the two channels, then i would have to pay an additional 8 per month.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Last time it was on, you had to buy a season pass, if Sky do the same this time round, although I am a huge fan of F1, I won't be paying extra for it, along with thousands of others.

Hopefully they won't do an ITV and keep showing adverts through the actual race etc as well.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Thanks

According to the Sky Blogs, the Editor has been asked numerous times about ad breaks and he replies that every second of the race will be shown live.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...066182,00.html (look to the bottom for comments and replies)

If they take the BBC crew then great. The Beeb's coverage is 100% fantastic and puts ITVs efforts to shame.

However I won't be paying anymore than my current sub for it.

BBC have exited their contract a year early to re-negotiate this deal. Simply the Beeb are broke!

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Thanks

from the SS post (link above)

beebee says July 29, 2011 1:15pm

My question is Sky had F1 before and charged a premium price per race for this. I have a full package with sports, will I have to pay any further costs????

Editor says

No Beebee. F1 will be included in your Sky Sports package

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast