Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

BBC and Sky Partner for Live Formula 1 Rights

This is a discussion on BBC and Sky Partner for Live Formula 1 Rights within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Not really, with the £millions that each sponsor pays a team each year. Sure,they get their ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BBC and Sky Partner for Live Formula 1 Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Not really, with the £millions that each sponsor pays a team each year.

Sure,they get their publicity, but it is also a sport that reminds me of the series 'Mad Men' with all the young women being paraded around guiding people around.

How many other sports are like this?
      Ermmm,

American Football,
      American Baseball,
      American Basketball,
      American all the rest,
      MotoGP,
      Moto all the rest,
      Sport all the rest.

Oops forgot football - all over the world.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      How is it sexist? there loads of nice women holding up driver names before the race
      That's only because they got up early to get the housework out of the way and brekkie etc for their hubbies / boyfriends.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      BBC 3 v Sky 17

I am sure BBC will be overjoyed, not. I can't see them keeping their broadcast team together for 3 live races and a few qualifying sessions.
      BBC get 10 races including practice and qualifying. I think BBC and Sky will share the commentary team - whoever that will be - and have different presenters. BBC Sport will be severely stretched to cover the Olympics next year - that must have been a factor in this move. Everyone is blaming the BBC for this move, but no one has mentioned the penny pinching TV licence freeze that is behind the cost cutting.

As someone with Sky Sports, I would much rather have ad-free coverage shared between them and BBC than go back to the poor ITV coverage of two years ago. If I didn't have it then I would certainly be less happy - but is this any different to some of the football deals? Where is the Premier League on FTA TV? Far more watch that than F1.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      BBC get 10 races including practice and qualifying. I think BBC and Sky will share the commentary team - whoever that will be - and have different presenters. BBC Sport will be severely stretched to cover the Olympics next year - that must have been a factor in this move. Everyone is blaming the BBC for this move, but no one has mentioned the penny pinching TV licence freeze that is behind the cost cutting.
      I am sure the BBC as per usual will send too many people to cover the Olympics. As for the licence freeze, boo hoo - Thousands of people in the UK cannot even afford to eat let alone pay the licence or for Sky Sports.

As someone with Sky Sports, I would much rather have ad-free coverage shared between them and BBC than go back to the poor ITV coverage of two years ago. If I didn't have it then I would certainly be less happy - but is this any different to some of the football deals? Where is the Premier League on FTA TV? Far more watch that than F1.
      If Sky do do an ad free race, then fair doos - Yes ITV was crap, but the BBC are enjoying the best ever viewing figures at the moment. All that is going to happen is instead of 10 million people watching F1 per race about 5 million are. I have been an avid F1 fan for years but if I cannot afford Sky Sports then I will have to just watch half a season on the BBC or watch it later in the day.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sky is value for money, and it is nice that they have dropped the extra HD subs I needed etc but this is just wrong for F1 and the future of it.

As for football I don't give a rat's backside anyway, my sport enjoyment is F1 and F1 only.

A lot of people are really struggling to pay bills let alone having to sign up to Sky or adding Sky Sports. Sky know this hence the price freezes etc

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

drt1710 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exchange name: Ammanford Exchange code: SWADW
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I for one am extremely annoyed with the beeb over this. Purely money saving, I'm sure there's other places they can save more money.

The money they are spending to cover the Olympics is outrageous, and its a one off event, whereas F1 will keep their viewers year in year out.

Some of the programs and even channels that the beeb are paying for are absolute tosh, why not cut these? I enjoy Top Gear, but whilst watching it often think about the money that the program must cost to make, all the cars they buy, then trash, burn, smash etc.

I don't have Sky Tv at all, I'm quite happy with freeview pvr, it does all i want it to. I couldn't afford Sky Tv if i wanted to, let alone the extra for Sky Sports.

I did read about the Concorde agreement, and one of the things agreed in it was that F1 should remain on free to air tv, so what's going on there?

I'm not going to go quite as far as some people and say, "thats it I'm not watching anymore F1 at all" I will watch what I can when I can, half the races plus highlights is better than none at all.

Pingtest: Line Quality A: Ping 48ms: Jitter 1ms: Server 50 mi
      Connection Speed: 5184/768: Attenuation: 31.5/52: Snr: 8/7.8

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      As for the licence freeze, boo hoo - Thousands of people in the UK cannot even afford to eat let alone pay the licence or for Sky Sports.

A lot of people are really struggling to pay bills let alone having to sign up to Sky or adding Sky Sports. Sky know this hence the price freezes etc
      As for football I don't give a rat's backside anyway, my sport enjoyment is F1 and F1 only.
      Perfect examples of my point!

1. The Government have frozen the beeb's income so something has to give. But no one is blaming them!
      2. More people watch Premier League, yet have to put up with highlights on BBC1

Why should I have to watch cars following each other round a track for 2 hours (or rain falling) when I could be watching a decent game of football?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

...I think BBC and Sky will share the commentary team - whoever that will be - and have different presenters...
      From reading the messages made i believe you'll find that each will have their own teams.

What does seem stupid to me is that the Beeb will still have to supply people to commentate & record the F1 races where they are not airing them live, so that they can compose the highlight shows.

As for the content of other shows on BBC3 & BBC4, some of this has been very good. Recent content has IMHO also been very nice to be able to view. The recent series on different Teens has been enjoyable to watch for me.

Whilst it does enjoy a large following, shows like Top Gear do not interest myself, but then it is shown on BBC2 first anyway. At the same time I'm not personally into the Proms or Opera, but many others are and do enjoy the coverage on the BBC.

Finally, with regards to the Ad breaks, Sky has already confirmed that there will be no breaks during the live race coverage. So I guess you could say that they will have breaks before & after the race and during any highlights show.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What does seem stupid to me is that the Beeb will still have to supply people to commentate & record the F1 races where they are not airing them live, so that they can compose the highlight shows.
      That's why I don't see it happening. They share Sky commentary on cricket highlights, so why not F1? Time will tell.

shake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Huyton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

F1 is mainly targeted at the east now with races in Malaysia, Singapore, China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and no doubt the Indian GP sponsored by Kingfisher will follow. Do not be surprised if the British GP is axed.

The west, due to several fiascos in the US and the dominace of CART, is largely irrelevant now and F1 could not care about us or the US.

As for F1 itself it has been a joke for some years due to the over regulation imposed by the FIA. Surely the aim is to build a car and employ a driver that can get round the track quicker than the rest.

The rules that hamper this such a double diffusers, blown diffusers, mandatory tyre type usage, DRS activation zones etc etc all make the 'sport' a challenge only to the car designers like the brilliant Adrian Newey who has built race winning cars for most of the teams he has worked for. Just how do you think Damon Hill or Montoya won thier world championships.

I have lost interest in F1 and can't be bothered to watch these days even if kept on the Beeb. There are very few racers left with the exception of Hamilton and Alonso.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,584 Posts

mandatory tyre type usage,
      That is one thing I have never understood. The tyre manufacturers are taxed with making a tyre which will degrade quickly. Surely their remit should be to make a tyre which will last, not wear out prematurely. The present system puts the onus on pit crews to get the car in front, surely this should be the drivers job.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast