Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

Is This The New Sky Wireless N Router / Hub?

This is a discussion on Is This The New Sky Wireless N Router / Hub? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Angel_Rex I have noticed since I was forced OFF the BT network (sky BB & talk but ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

re: Is This The New Sky Wireless N Router / Hub?

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      I have noticed since I was forced OFF the BT network (sky BB & talk but opted out of sky network) my net speed has dropped on the updteam and downstream and the attenuation has gone up....

may be coincidence....
      If you were on Connect previously then you had an ADSL connection. There would have been a increase in your Line Attenuation in moving to ADSL2+ for this reason alone.

Rather than diagnose your connection here, please feel welcome to start a new thread and post your stats there. Perhaps we an help you to improve thing.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      does anyone know what the specs are of this router ie wifi ports etc
      All the Ethernet ports are 100Mb. The router's WiFi specs are listed above.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you were on Connect previously then you had an ADSL connection. There would have been a increase in your Line Attenuation in moving to ADSL2+ for this reason alone.

Rather than diagnose your connection here, please feel welcome to start a new thread and post your stats there. Perhaps we an help you to improve thing.

All the Ethernet ports are 100Mb. The router's WiFi specs are listed above.

Nah I'm on llu. Been with sky since 2007 so used to have sky via bt network. Don't get me wrong moving to sky jumped me from 5mb with by and actual dl of 3mb. To 8mb actual dl with sky.

Now sky are dropping the use of bt network on their llu and using the sky network with MER, my speed etc has dropped

Sky problem not a line fault.

Thanks

I'm always a little suspicious of statements like that, which many others have expressed too.

My connection is able to use both MER & PPPoA. Although I am with Sky for line rental, phone & broadband, I'm not on the SVBN which kind of surprised me.

The wiring between my home and the telephone exchange is maintained by BTO, just like most of the UK (exceptions being in Hull area, for example).

Any change in my connection would require someone from BTO to physically disconnect the wires that lead the line to Sky's equipment to another set of equipment.

This will mean that the physical wires used in the exchange will be different at some point.

Now if those wires were made to a slightly lower standard than my previous one, then I would find that my connection speed has dropped.

This aside, another option is possible.

When I was using a Netgear DG934G router my maximum download connection was around 19,300-19,400kbps. When I fitted a Sagem F@ST 2304n router, this jumped to 19,999kbps. No other changes were made to my connection.

A lot of talk has been made regarding chipsets. Sky are gradually moving to equipment that uses the Broadcom chipset. It would appear that the Sagem 2304n does work well with this chipset. I would hope too that the Sagem Path F@ST 2504N also has similar attributes.

With all this in mind, perhaps you can understand better my suggestion for starting a new thread where this could all be discussed better.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

My connection is able to use both MER & PPPoA. Although I am with Sky for line rental, phone & broadband, I'm not on the SVBN which kind of surprised me.
      You are on SVBN.

SVBN = Sky Voice and Broadband Network = Sky's BDCM MSAN

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

I'm happy with my connection I mainly game and get a constant 24 ping.

I too flutter between pppoa and MER.

As I'm sure ur aware, sky have separate equipment to bt when they swap u to their side. My connection has been solid 10237 and 1023 up for years. I suddenly got stuck onto the sky side and it all drops.

I'm not silly, it could be sky system is able to identify problems better and identified errors and reduced the speed accordingly....

Who knows. Im in the master socket with ADSL nation plate and no extensions. U never know coils be the filtered faceplate degrading after 3 years....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      You are on SVBN.

SVBN = Sky Voice and Broadband Network = Sky's BDCM MSAN
      Not 100%.

I get BT's service when I dial 17071 for example.

When someone looked at my BB connection the other day, they could easily change the settings either. Had it been on the full SVBN then they could have done so more easily.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      I'm happy with my connection I mainly game and get a constant 24 ping.

I too flutter between pppoa and MER.

As I'm sure ur aware, sky have separate equipment to bt when they swap u to their side. My connection has been solid 10237 and 1023 up for years. I suddenly got stuck onto the sky side and it all drops.

I'm not silly, it could be sky system is able to identify problems better and identified errors and reduced the speed accordingly....

Who knows. Im in the master socket with ADSL nation plate and no extensions. U never know coils be the filtered faceplate degrading after 3 years....
      I have been moved over to Sky's kit sometime this week. I've got crackling on the line now and the speed has dropped so I know the feeling.

Were you sent a letter about the move? Since it involves moving your pair over to new equipment there has to be a downtime. I was not informed about the switch and I am not happy about it.

Not 100%.

I get BT's service when I dial 17071 for example.

When someone looked at my BB connection the other day, they could easily change the settings either. Had it been on the full SVBN then they could have done so more easily.
      So your voice cable goes through BT and data cable goes through sky? That's very unusual and a huge waste of space.

And SVBN is the one that is locked down in terms of configurable BB settings. Whoever you spoke to has given you the wrong impression.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      So your voice cable goes through BT and data cable goes through sky? That's very unusual and a huge waste of space.

And SVBN is the one that is locked down in terms of configurable BB settings. Whoever you spoke to has given you the wrong impression.
      I have no idea how it's routed. All I know is that I get BT's quiet line test services, not Sky's . I certainly don't pay anything to BT any more.

With regards to your own connection, I would get on the phone ASAP to Sky and ask them to look into it for you. As you know, it should be totally silent and could explain why your speed has dropped.

Thanks

With regards to your own connection, I would get on the phone ASAP to Sky and ask them to look into it for you. As you know, it should be totally silent and could explain why your speed has dropped.
      Thanks dear. I already have. They said they'll get back to me sometime next week. I'll give it a few days. It certainly is up on the fault tracking system. Don't think they had a pre-set for noisy line so they've put it down as no dial tone.

Thanks

No problem.

That might explain why faults don't get correctly resolved though.

The BTO Engineer can quickly tell whether or not there is a dial tone.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast