Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

Is This The New Sky Wireless N Router / Hub?

This is a discussion on Is This The New Sky Wireless N Router / Hub? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by deadman1984 still cant understand why sky have to lock it down forcing people to use there supplied ...

Ssscrudddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01604
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

Re: Is This The New Sky Wireless N Router / Hub?

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      still cant understand why sky have to lock it down forcing people to use there supplied routers
      Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      It's a lot easier to troubleshoot problems with a small number of devices. The agents don't have to learn lots of different menu systems, Sky don't have to write lots of scripts.
      (I only read the last page)

They could easily get round that by saying they will only do support with your sky supplied router plugged in. As it stands their crappy routers dont even offer the functionality of a budget router from 8 years ago.

Also in this time of being environmentally friendly, how is it green to force people to leave their computers on, when WOL uses far less electricity, ie peeps should be able to use their own routers.
      Is the pub open yet?

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

yea your right in away forcing people to use there routers is wrong people should be allowed to use whatever routers there conformable with

beavdev is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      yea your right in away forcing people to use there routers is wrong people should be allowed to use whatever routers there conformable with
      Problem is, most people dont know how how to properly use a router and correctly configure it (the VAST MAJORITY I may add, so 95-98% of the public) therefore it makes sense to have a fully controlled router by sky. You try ringing up any other company with your own 3rd party router in use, they'll tell you to go do one and that they cant support it, so whats the difference?

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by beavdev View Post
      Problem is, most people dont know how how to properly use a router and correctly configure it (the VAST MAJORITY I may add, so 95-98% of the public) therefore it makes sense to have a fully controlled router by sky. You try ringing up any other company with your own 3rd party router in use, they'll tell you to go do one and that they cant support it, so whats the difference?
      Until I joined this forum I was pretty clueless. I'm sill not great but I am learning. The sky router does the job, but even I struggle with it's limitations .
      Can we have a comprises where it's easy to use, but still able to meet the needs of people who know networking around there own home.

Just a thought.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

This is just it, the majority of people just want something which they can connect to their telephone socket, plug in and it will work.

Ask 100 people over the ago of 70 and watch as their face goes blank. I am sure this is repeated for most other age groups.

Since joining the forum I've picked up quite a lot too, but there are some areas I struggle with so watch and learn but try to avoid answering.

Many ISPs who supply routers for their customers will often set them up before they are dispatched. This does reduce the number of calls to their call centres. Remember that someone has to pay the wages of the people in the call centres, so if they can reduce the calls by 10%, then that could equate to 10% less staff or 10% more time that the staff can spend on other calls as the queues aren't as big.

Having said all this, there are plenty out there who would like more freedom to adjust the functionality of the router. Some may be running their own email server, others can have NAS drives, whilst some will be playing with their Xbox and want to host the game. All these and more can be performed to a degree with the Sky routers, but there are others out there that can do the same job so much better.

When you add into the mix things such as USB ports, faster LAN & WiFi speeds and connection speeds, things start to get interesting. There are also some useful tools to monitor your traffic, extra parental controls and alternative resources such as DNS servers which can provide better results. Yet I have barely scratched the surface.

Again most people are not interested in any of this. It is possibly only around 5-10% who are.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

launton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVROY (Liverpool Royal)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Humax HDR-1000S
      Thanks

When I was with Be* you were allowed to use your own router but if you called for support the call would be ended unless you connected your original router. This would probably be the best option. To allow choice but with a disclaimer that zero support would be given without the supplied hardware. On a side note, does the new sky router have a built in modem?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Have you ever called Sky to ask for help to set up port forwarding on their own routers?

Some members have even been told to reset the IP Address range as "the router must be 192.168.0.1".

Basically many of the people employed by Sky do not know much about routers other than how to connect them up and what is in their crib sheets. They don't have the information available to set up any port forwarding, DynDNS, block sites and so many other things.

As for using your own router with Sky, there are many people who do this on the forum. Sky won't tell you how, but thanks to some really nice people on the forum, there are methods available.

The good people who work with Sky can tell if you are not using a Sky router. However the majority will turn a blind eye. Obviously if the fault is with the router, then you should plug the sky router in just to be sure.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

On a side note, does the new sky router have a built in modem?
      It would not be much good to the vast majority if it didn't! I know there are some like yourself who do not need one, but you are very much in the minority. I would think the new router will be the same as the newer Sagem, one with firmware for ADSL and another for fibre. If they are really clever they might manage to convert the ADSL port to a WAN one for fibre users, so you don't loose an ethernet port, but I doubt it.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

launton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVROY (Liverpool Royal)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Humax HDR-1000S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It would not be much good to the vast majority if it didn't! I know there are some like yourself who do not need one, but you are very much in the minority. I would think the new router will be the same as the newer Sagem, one with firmware for ADSL and another for fibre. If they are really clever they might manage to convert the ADSL port to a WAN one for fibre users, so you don't loose an ethernet port, but I doubt it.
      Sorry I meant a VDSL modem

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

May as well finish this thread off now.

The new Sky router thread is here.

Sky's New Router / HUB SR101

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast