Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New Sky EPG line up to make it even easier for customers to enjoy the best in pay TV

This is a discussion on New Sky EPG line up to make it even easier for customers to enjoy the best in pay TV within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Although this doesn't bother me personally, I wonder if you will have the choice of choosing between SD and HD ...

tech3475 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New Sky EPG line up to make it even easier for customers to enjoy the best in pay

Although this doesn't bother me personally, I wonder if you will have the choice of choosing between SD and HD for recordings?

Since HD can take up allot more space than SD recordings wont this be a concern to some who care more about their space management?

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New Sky EPG line up to make it even easier for customers to enjoy the best in pay

You certainly can.

IE, Sky Sports 1 HD will now be on 401, but SD will still be available on 408 (where HD used to be).

yorkie_pudd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Intake, Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: SKy MAX (was forced adsl2+ on my netgear but god knows what i'm on now)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Why havent they programmed a "channel swap" option in the box like you get on all modern TVs - then we could put them in any order.

I understand about local programming but trying to get my wife to understand about HD channels being on different numbers is like explaining nuclear physics to the pet hamster.

I would love to put BBC ITV et al in HD on the SD numbrs just so she isnt constantly phoning me at work to tell me there is a programing clash just because I record in HD and she is watching the same thing in SD.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Don't you know what us women can be like?

Seriously though, it won't resolve all your issues, but it could reduce some of them if, for example, she was watching Sky 1 when you were recording something off the same channel.

The alternative would be for you to be aware of the recording issues and time your recording so that it was in the early hours when you are both doing something together.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

TheVoyager is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: WRBRIX
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Unl.Fibre
      Router: TP-Link VR2600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB *2
      Thanks

I like the analogy, my SO is even worse she has learning difficulties and tends to stick to the old terrestrial channels.

Depending on what channels your SO watcheschoices are:

1. get a TV with Freeview built in [will get this next time I upgrade the TV]

2. get a Freeview box [the one she uses at the moment also is a PVR so she can record]

3. get multiroom using a SKY+ (Not HD) box and use a different AV channel for it, she may have to use the TV controller to change the AV channel if the HD box kicks in whilst she is watching the +box

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie_pudd View Post
      Why havent they programmed a "channel swap" option in the box like you get on all modern TVs - then we could put them in any order.

I understand about local programming but trying to get my wife to understand about HD channels being on different numbers is like explaining nuclear physics to the pet hamster.

I would love to put BBC ITV et al in HD on the SD numbrs just so she isnt constantly phoning me at work to tell me there is a programing clash just because I record in HD and she is watching the same thing in SD.
      Bob

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

After trying this for a couple of days, it seems to me that this was just an underhand way for Sky to put their HD channels at the top of the list. Before the EPG 'upgrade', BBC1 HD, BBC HD, Channel 4HD and Channel 5 HD were all at the top of the HD channels list. Go on the new EPG and select HD channels only, and what's the first HD channel you find ? Sky One HD. You have to scroll down 2 pages before you come across the first BBC HD channel.

A retrograde step, in my opinion

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

The other broadcast companies had the chance to be included in the swap, so this is an issue that they will need to resolve.

The list of channels is solely in numerical order in the EPG. As Sky 1 HD is now 106, not 170, if you had the HD subscription, then this will appear before Ch4 HD (140) & BBC1 HD (143). Ch5 HD (171) & ITV1 HD (178) do appear lower down.

Other channels higher up include:

Sky Living HD (107)
      Sky Atlantic HD (108)
      Comedy Central HD (112)
      Universal HD (113)
      Syfy HD (114)
      ITV2 HD (118)
      ITV3 HD (119)
      ITV4 HD (120)
      FX HD (124)
      E4 HD (136)

Personally I find it a little easier with the new layout, but the policy of allocating numbers is an old one of first come, first served. There are some specific exceptions and these will be detailed somewhere on BSkyB's web site in their corporate T&Cs.

My guess is that until the whole of the UK has completed the digital switchover, the terrestrial channels aren't going to have regional HD broadcasts available in many cases. This is due for completion next year (2012).

They may then revisit the question of HD variations of local channels on Satellite services. There are other issues though. These include availability of bandwidth and cost.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12