Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up

This is a discussion on ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I don't understand the fuss about the agreement. If Sky are going to hand over 8,000 customer addresses, isn't it ...

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up

I don't understand the fuss about the agreement. If Sky are going to hand over 8,000 customer addresses, isn't it reasonable for them to agree a fee for doing it, and to put that in writing? If ACS approach them once and get a response, there's a good chance they will be back for more.

They should have taken TalkTalk's stance though, and told them (not so politely) to go away.

I'm not that surprised to read about Plusnet's data being sent unencrypted. I used to have an account with them, until they let someone into their mailservers to harvest all the addresses and sell them on to spammers. I started getting spam on email addresses I had never used, which was a sign it was time to go.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Mr Spouse,

I think the problem is not in Sky charging for the handing over of the details, more that they are prepared to hand them over knowing full well the sort of tactics ACS employ in trying to get money and also knowing that there is likely to be many innocent customers of thiers on the receiving end because even their own advisors have queried the accuracy and legality of the harvesting programme.

They should be protecting their client base and at least make ACS or companies like this prove their systems are almost foolproof before shafting their customer for a few . In fact, I would prefer it if they charged much, much more for the data, at least that way ACS would have to think twice about requesting it.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 29-09-10 at 04:00 PM.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Fair point, but previous posters are having a go at Sky for making money out of the requests. You're saying they should have charged more as a means to dissuade them. I agree they should have made it more difficult, but if someone turns up with a court order to hand over the information then some corporate lawyer has probably decided it's less risk to hand it over than challenge the order.

TalkTalk and Virgin went down the other route, which is good for them. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wouldn't trust TalkTalk with my broadband given their past reputation for customer service in other areas.

Let's hope this whole debacle produces some decent changes in the law to prevent other scum doing similar things in future. There's a story on ISP Review suggesting one judge has had enough of ACS, Gallant McMillan and the like.
      Last edited by Mr Spouse; 29-09-10 at 04:27 PM.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spawn_e_git View Post
      Just PM me your intials and first part of your postcode and I'll check. There are two lists that I can find, one for music and the other for you know who...
      er is that a joke or what or you serious im not the one registered through my broadband its my mother whos name its in

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

as for acs well sky is pulling the plug on them now thease details that were leaked where they just for the weekend users when the site got hacked or is it for the past month or so

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

I would think with the time it takes for ACS to gather the IP addresses of alleged downloaders, present them to court and then to Sky and for Sky to reply back would takes weeks if not months.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      as for acs well sky is pulling the plug on them now thease details that were leaked where they just for the weekend users when the site got hacked or is it for the past month or so

From what I can gather, there were 2 court orders, one from November 2009 and one from July 2010 ish

The data that was leaked from ACS:Law's website could be the list of people from either of those 2 orders and nothing to do with last weekend. Apart from last weekend was when it was leaked.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The Guardian understands that ISPs charge ACS:Law around 65 for an individual customer's information. Some broadband providers charge by the hour to supply customer data some thought to be charging up to 500 per hour while others fix prices to a per-customer basis.BT in privacy row after sending customer data to ACS:Law | Technology | guardian.co.uk
      Ah so that's why broadband is so cheap these days!

randalf - The whole story has been blocked out of the Murdoch media, such as Sky News, et al. For a self proclaimed news broadcaster of the year to ignore a story that affects so many Sky subscribers, that is all over the BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 and pretty much any radio station you could care to name is quite frankly pathetic.
      I noticed this too and found it the most concerning of all.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The only thing I have seen mentioned by Sky is on their status page. Putting it on Sky News would seem a logical decision, but alas no.

Sky Latest News: Update 28th September

Updated 28 September 6.40pm

We continue to monitor the loss of data held by ACS:Law, a law firm involved in legal action against illegal downloading. As a result of an apparent security breach, the names and addresses of some Sky Broadband customers – as well as customers of other broadband providers – have been published on the internet.

As a content provider as well as a broadband company, Sky supports the principle that copyright material should be protected. However, our disclosure to law firms is subject to the following conditions:

* We only disclose customer information in response to a Court Order
      * We only ever provide such data in encrypted form
      * We never disclose bank or credit card details
      * We have put in place an agreement with ACS:Law that requires data to be stored and used safely and securely

We wish to make it clear that ACS:Law has never acted on Sky’s behalf. The Court Orders were granted following action by ACS:Law on behalf of clients who own the rights to material which is alleged to have been illegally downloaded.

Following recent events, we have suspended all disclosures to ACS:Law with immediate effect. This suspension will remain in place until ACS:Law demonstrates adequate measures to protect the security of personal information.
      http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/latest-news/

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

napalmtvr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I rang Sky this evening to ask if there was any chance i am on the 'list'. I spoke to 2 separate customer support agents, and neither knew about the data leakage!!! (supposedly)...

I haven't been a customer for a year now, but i'm worried my details are going to be floating around... i've never had any correspondence from ACS:Law, so i'm guessing i'm ok...??

What you reckon?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast