Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up

This is a discussion on ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; For anyone on Plusnet, they have now produced a guide with some information for their customers. ACS:Law email leak FAQ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up

For anyone on Plusnet, they have now produced a guide with some information for their customers.

ACS:Law email leak FAQ

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      spawn_e_git is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNWGN
      Broadband ISP: NTL World 2mb
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      ok now your worrying me when you said that does anyone have the full list to see it fully
      Just PM me your intials and first part of your postcode and I'll check. There are two lists that I can find, one for music and the other for you know who...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I notice that Sky news isn't covering this.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Cyber is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Because of this breach in security, and Sky passing details on to this law firm can customers now ask Sky for their MAC code and leave, even if they are in contract because they may feel that they cannot trust Sky with their personal details.

Just a thought really.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber View Post
      Because of this breach in security, and Sky passing details on to this law firm can customers now ask Sky for their MAC code and leave, even if they are in contract because they may feel that they cannot trust Sky with their personal details.

Just a thought really.
      Whilst not defending Sky, Sky did not directly breach your details. (Until evidence comes to light that disproves my opinion). Sky complied to a court order, which is what they had to do, so as not to fall foul of the order.

Sky provided the details are per the court order to ACS Law. ACS Law apparently left all those details unencrypted for everyone to download on their website.

I have seen discussions elsewhere where people have seen the list provided as numerous excel files sent by Sky, fully unencrypted.

Sky say that they sent the list of personal details to ACS Law encrypted. However, Sky have not confirmed nor denied whether or not this list was sent by email.

It is feasible that Sky did send the file by email, and that it was infact encrypted, and that it is ACS Law that have then forwarded that list internally unencrypted. However, it is also feasible that it may have been sent unencrypted if you believe what you actually read.

As for trusting Sky with your personal details, that is your choice. I do.

Whether or not the files were sent encrypted, this is going to lead to one hell of a huge problem for ACS Law, and if any good is to come out of it, every single ISP is now going to be one hell of a lot more careful. As well as bringing to an end the ambulance chasers for chasing people who may or not be innocent. No company is ever going to want to be associated with a certain law firm now.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Plusnet have posted the following:

All;

I just wanted to provide a brief update, and also thank Bob and Mand for following up on some of the queries.

Our first concern is with our customers but we have been obliged to respond to court orders requiring that we disclose customer data. However, there is increasing evidence that there are deep concerns regarding the integrity of the process being used by rights holders to obtain customer data from ISPs for pursuing alleged copyright infringements. We need to have further confidence that the initial information gathered by rights holders is robust and that our customers will not be treated unfairly. We are urgently exploring how this can be assured, including through the assistance of the courts.

I also wanted to respond to the question on did we send out customer details in unencrypted files?

It has no bearing on this issue but we would like to apologise for this break in our process – we have contacted all of our affected customers and are working with them closely to protect them as much as possible from further exposure. We are investigating how this happened as we have robust systems for managing our data and we have already ensured this will not happen again.

Thanks,

Fletch
      And then this was posted after been quizzed further.

I think, without actually saying "yes we sent the data unencrypted", Fletch is saying "yes we sent the data unencrypted." Or am I reading too much in to what he said?
      Which then brought this reply.

As Fletch has just said, we take customer data very seriously, and have taken steps to make sure this does not happen again.
      That looks to me, that the data was sent unencrypted by them?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It does, but really it just means that they themselves dodged a bullet when they sent it to ACS as it was ACS who held the complete folder unencrypted, not just Plusnets bit.

From what I have read, the folder or at least some of the information in it was zipped so it is not just aroung 350mb of info, unzipped it is over 1gb of data which is a hell of a lot of pages of confidential information.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 28-09-10 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It does, but really it just means that they themselves dodged a bullet when they sent it to ACS as it was ACS who held the complete folder unencrypted, not just Plusnets bit.
      The court order specifically stated;

Such disclosure shall be in an editable electronic text format by way of Microsoft Excel files saved in an encrypted form to a compact disk, or any other digital media.
      So someone is still in trouble.

loveif is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

OK all sky subscribers need to check out this link immediately

ACS:Law Anti-Piracy Law Firm Torn Apart By Leaked Emails | TorrentFreak

Then go to post number 430 and download the pdf document referred to there.

You will not believe it. Seriously - I didn't

It is an agreement between Sky and the copyright holder that ACS Law represent.
      I would point out it is only signed by one side (not Sky) but OMG - I won't comment further for risk of libel suffice to say check out section 3.1 within that agreement!!!!!

Sorry to be so cryptic but every sky subscriber (especially those who have had a nasty letter from ACS Law) will be very very interested.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loveif View Post
      OK all sky subscribers need to check out this link immediately
      We already knew about it, but didn't know whether or not we should actually link to it. You're right of course it does make interesting reading. But then again, it is not actually signed by the other party and so could be fantasy.

But reading and then from my understanding of the contents, it is far more beneficial for the lawyers to actually give the ISP more than 1000 IP address details per month, then it is to give less then.

It makes you think, how much time etc they are actually spending looking for the IP details of potential offenders to maximse profits, just to reduce the overheads that they have to give to the relevant ISP.

<1000 IPs @ 65 per IP = 65k Cost of obtaining the relevant data
      >1000 <3000 = 10.90 per IP Cost of obtaining the relevant data

Also just to note, it does state that the data cannot be given over without a court order in situ.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast