Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up

This is a discussion on ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; See the problem is with SKY is that they think that most people are not computer savvy, which in most ...

micksea173 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Seaham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: ACS Law and Some Sky Broadband Customers - A Heads Up

See the problem is with SKY is that they think that most people are not computer savvy, which in most cases are not so won't know what has been going on with the Data protection leak from ACS Law. I had to explain it to my Uncle as he has not heard about what has gone on with SKY and ACS Law. I have been trying to tell everyone who I know that has SKY broadband to get rid of them and to send e-mails to the CEO to get out of their contracts.

Hopefully this Saturday I will have a new ISP as I am moving telephone and broadband to Talk Talk. Customer Service may be ****e, but at least they valued their customers by telling ACS Law to go shove it.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have tried not to post anything re this but couldn't hold it in any longer.

Yes, I agree with most that Sky should have gone the extra step to try and stop the ACS bunch obtaining the user details without them first having to prove that the way they obtain the details is foolproof etc, etc and this would mean testing it in court (which hasn't been done).

I feel it was a poor decision by Sky not to threaten to contest this court order as Talk Talk and a few other ISP's have done.

But bottom line is, if you are downloading and/or sharing copyrighted material then you should expect to get caught, that way it will not come as a surprise when/if you are.

Blaming Sky or any ISP for YOU doing something you know is illegal and being punished is just ridiculous, I have no doubt that in the years to come, other companys will attempt to do the same thing and try to protect the copyright holders interest, do the crime, do the time...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Talk Talk. Customer Service may be ****e, but at least they valued their customers by telling ACS Law to go shove it.
      TalkTalk are against this because they are not making enough money out of it. They are also against the DEA for the same reason. They want the complainants to pay 100% of the costs of sending letters out and obtaining the IPs of alleged offenders, that is their main concern. Have you forgotten that this company signed up for Phorm without a dickybird to their subscribers and only withdrew when a storm erupted. If you believe TT are in business to protect their customers, you are very naive, they are there to make money, the same as any other company. If they maintain their stance, good luck to them, they will gather in all the illegal downloaders and free up bandwidth for other ISPs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Rev Gear is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      But bottom line is, if you are downloading and/or sharing copyrighted material then you should expect to get caught, that way it will not come as a surprise when/if you are.

Blaming Sky or any ISP for YOU doing something you know is illegal and being punished is just ridiculous
      You are making a very big assumption that those 'caught' were actually guilty.

There are some serious concerns over the accuracy of ACS's data collection method. For around 25% of the data requested as part of the NPO, Sky have no record of that IP address being used at that date and time. That same method of data collection has been banned in other European countries for exactly that reason.

I don't doubt that there are a few genuine cases amongst the scattergun approach but please don't assume everyone on that list and complaining to Sky is automatically guilty.

dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Gear View Post
      You are making a very big assumption that those 'caught' were actually guilty.

I don't doubt that there are a few genuine cases amongst the scattergun approach but please don't assume everyone on that list and complaining to Sky is automatically guilty.
      I dont think Smithy was doing either he said :-

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post

The relevant words being if and should

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I thought I was quite clear in my opening few lines that Sky should have ensured the technology to track those sharing/downloading should be proven before they hand over the details without question.

I would also think the scattergun approach is not quite as scattered as you make out, that said, better 100 guilty men go free instead of one innocent being convicted (someone else said that)...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

There are some serious concerns over the accuracy of ACS's data collection method. For around 25% of the data requested as part of the NPO, Sky have no record of that IP address being used at that date and time.
      This is due, in part, to certain 'pirates' inputting random IP addresses in the torrent lists. Are Sky to be blamed for the actions of self-confessed illegal downloaders? Sky required to be informed of the exact time of the alleged illegal downloading, right down to the second it was supposed to be taking place. Obviously if Sky have no record of the IP being in use at that time they can give no information. It appears that many who are being wrongly accused are on the list due to the actions of certain people who think they are above the Law.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

micksea173 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Seaham
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Just an update with what is happening and it might be good news. BT and Talk Talk have been given a judical review of the DEA (Digital Economy Act) after several complaints.

Here is the story.

I have also heard that there is some ISPs that do not want this review either.

B£kyB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Newbie to this forum.

My observasion:
      Copyright infringement is a serious matter.
      Why:
      Davenport Lyons were the first Solicitors to introduce "Speculative Invoicing"
      Davenport Lyons pulled out after numerous investigations including Which?, BBC etc
      ACS:Law took on the challenge
      ACS:Law investigated by the SRA
      ACS:Law investigated by Which?, BBC etc
      ACS:Law responsible for biggest breach of Data Protection Act ever
      ACS:Law investigated by ICO
      ACS:Law investigated again by SRA
      Golden Eye International act as their own Copyright Owners and sent out LoCs
      Grant McMillan denied NPOs until January hearing
      Most ISPs have refused to comply with further requests for subscriber details
      Davenport Lyons are faced with a Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal
      ACS:Law are faced with a Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal

These are only brief highlights.

I beleive that the above has taken the fight for legitimate copyright protection back 10 years by organisations who have tried to use the law for financial gain.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast