Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Sky Launches New Up To 20Mb Broadband Product

This is a discussion on Sky Launches New Up To 20Mb Broadband Product within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Can I ask what other folk are getting regarding CONNECTION speeds since the changeover to unlimited. Today I am now ...

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Launches New Up To 20Mb Broadband Product

Can I ask what other folk are getting regarding CONNECTION speeds since the changeover to unlimited.

Today I am now getting 13304d/l and 921 u/l. This was without me tweaking anything and are just taken direct from the router. Is this a maximum figure or an interim DLM trial figure I wonder?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B J View Post
      With the line being long i dont think i would get much better stats by asking to go on g,dmt (only a guess) and maybe if i did DLM may kick in again and cause problems.
      If download speed drops a lot more then i will ask about g.dmt but i think at the moment i will play the safe card,some others would probably gamble.
      There is no gamble involved, if you line does not perform better they will switch you back to ADSL2+. The tech will know this more or less as soon as the change is made. DLM will not kick in if you are on G.DMT, it would have to be started manually. Experience on here has shown that in many cases G.DMT works better on long lines, although it may not in your case.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is no gamble involved, if you line does not perform better they will switch you back to ADSL2+. The tech will know this more or less as soon as the change is made. DLM will not kick in if you are on G.DMT, it would have to be started manually. Experience on here has shown that in many cases G.DMT works better on long lines, although it may not in your case.
      Heard stories of people being capped at lower speeds after contacting support.

Would the first person i speak to be able to configure g,dmt or do they need to put me through to a more qualified person?
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      bet you wish you had my stats bj eh i do wish people who live in the sticks with terrible speeds get upgraded and fast cause some of the speeds ive seen from users are terrible hell i wouldnt put up with speed like that

Thing is i live in a big city not out in the sticks just unfortunate that we are at the far end of the exchange.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Would the first person i speak to be able to configure g,dmt or do they need to put me through to a more qualified person?
      It depends on who you get, some are qualified, others are not. No offence to the Tier 1 guys here, but I would rather be put through to CST. You are then reasonably sure of getting someone who really knows what they are doing.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It depends on who you get, some are qualified, others are not. No offence to the Tier 1 guys here, but I would rather be put through to CST. You are then reasonably sure of getting someone who really knows what they are doing.
      If i did get on to them i would ask for CST unless tier 1 insist they are the ones who deal with the request first,just dont know how the procedure works.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

oh i see. what i ment buy his stats been strange was there awful maybe i shoulda refrasied that word

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      oh i see. what i ment buy his stats been strange was there awful maybe i shoulda refrasied that word
      They don't seem awful to me. They seem about right considering the rest of his stats and distance from exchange. He might be able to tweak a little bit more out of them, but then you run the risk of the connection being unstable ... and for the sake of a few fractions of a meg, to me that wouldn't be worth the hassle.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      They don't seem awful to me. They seem about right considering the rest of his stats and distance from exchange. He might be able to tweak a little bit more out of them, but then you run the risk of the connection being unstable ... and for the sake of a few fractions of a meg, to me that wouldn't be worth the hassle.
      I agree with you i know others have far better stats but unless i move closer to the exchange thats how it is,i could only get 2mb before i joined sky so i am content with what we have.

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Your line attenuation, which is an indication of your line length, is exactly the same as mine, and I'm on 4mb. I've had several months of Sky and Openreach trying to get the best possible for my line. As far as my noise margin is concerned (between 12 and 14), in theory I could get more. Indeed, during DLM after repairs on my line, it reached over 5Mb - but this was apparently unstable and unsustainable.

Considering my max speed prior to joining Sky was approximately 2Mb, and that only a month or so ago BT stated my max attainable was 2.8 (despite previously being able to attain a stable 4.5), I'm happy with my capped 4Mb. At least until the fibre optic comes (in March next year for my exchange) .. then we shall see what happens.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast