Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Sky Launches New Up To 20Mb Broadband Product

This is a discussion on Sky Launches New Up To 20Mb Broadband Product within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by heatherw_01 They cancelled my unlimited BB to start a new unlimited BB for some reason so they ...

Morph364t is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WOODFORD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Exclamation Re: Sky Launches New Up To 20Mb Broadband Product

Quote Originally Posted by heatherw_01 View Post
      They cancelled my unlimited BB to start a new unlimited BB for some reason so they are re-testing the line GRR
      Keep an eye on them, heatherw_01: I have been on the Max and now Unlimited service since 2007 and have had a stable 5.9m connection for all that time - until I signed up for the new contract on 1st June.

My order was processed correctly and I thought no more about it, as it was just a billing change. I got a letter on the 14th June, informing me that:

"...we have changed your Sky Broadband package to Sky Broadband Unlimited as requested, this will be effective from 09/06/2010....As you have changed your Sky Broadband package, we will need to re-test the performance of your line to ensure that we are providing you with the best speeds supported with a reliable connection."

As I was not changing my package that was a bit of a surprise, and as I generally unplug my router when not in use that meant they had already been testing for 5 days in a "sub-optimal configuration".

As a result of their re-testing my line speed dropped to 3.7M and stayed there; the upstream has not changed, and nor has the SNR.

Today I spoke to Customer Support and explained the situation. The rep was excellent - he was polite and listened to my explanation (and mini-rant) in full, before agreeing that it "didn't sound right". He looked into it further and found that my line had indeed been re-categorised from an 8M limit down to 4M as a result of the re-testing, but there was nothing to support doing that.

He's now ordered the line to be reset to the original 8M level and has assured me that I will get my old connection speed back. They'll certainly be hearing from me again if it isn't.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Launches New Up To 20Mb Broadband Product

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I asked them about the 10 discount when I mailed them about the status of my upgrade. It finally went through yesterday after 8 days of being stuck in limbo. So far they have not replied to me email.
      Just an update to this. They finally replied to my email and I have got the 10 discount or 9.10 as they called it so thanks User05.

LC80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01706
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So, I'm going to pay more for the faster service I cannot receive?

Pay more for less, coming soon and exclusive to Sky.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LC80 View Post
      You mean your line can't support the 20MB speeds, mine can only just support over 10MB as I am quite a distance from the exchange but for me the bigger plus is I don't have to keep an eye on my user limit.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

You are also paying more for a truly Unlimited download. I don't think any other ISP offers this for 7.50/12.50. I would think very few who are going to be forcibly upgraded will benefit anything on the speed side.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

LC80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01706
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      You mean your line can't support the 20MB speeds, mine can only just support over 10MB as I am quite a distance from the exchange but for me the bigger plus is I don't have to keep an eye on my user limit.
      When I first got Sky broadband, I could get upto 3.5MB but now I'm lucky if I can get 1.5MB. Each time they announce an improvement my speed gets worse.

So for me, I am paying more for less.

TerryR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: o2o8857
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I stated on Midi with 5100Kbps as soon as Sky did broadband in my area.
      It dropped to 4300Kbps when Everyday came in after 12 days of very erratic service.
      Now it has dropped to 3712Kbps on Ulimited, The upload has also dropped from 505 to 384,
      The only thing that has gone up is the price by 150% and the agrevation of trying to get sky to sort it out.
      After nearly 15 years with Sky on the 2nd June I am taking my package elsewhere where I hope blackmail is not a company policy.
      Sorry Sky but principles do matter, Money is not everything
      Goodbye

Thanks

Angry Re: Sky Launches New Up To 20Mb Broadband Product

Quote Originally Posted by Morph364t View Post
      Keep an eye on them, heatherw_01: I have been on the Max and now Unlimited service since 2007 and have had a stable 5.9m connection for all that time - until I signed up for the new contract on 1st June.

My order was processed correctly and I thought no more about it, as it was just a billing change. I got a letter on the 14th June, informing me that:

"...we have changed your Sky Broadband package to Sky Broadband Unlimited as requested, this will be effective from 09/06/2010....As you have changed your Sky Broadband package, we will need to re-test the performance of your line to ensure that we are providing you with the best speeds supported with a reliable connection."

As I was not changing my package that was a bit of a surprise, and as I generally unplug my router when not in use that meant they had already been testing for 5 days in a "sub-optimal configuration".

As a result of their re-testing my line speed dropped to 3.7M and stayed there; the upstream has not changed, and nor has the SNR.

Today I spoke to Customer Support and explained the situation. The rep was excellent - he was polite and listened to my explanation (and mini-rant) in full, before agreeing that it "didn't sound right". He looked into it further and found that my line had indeed been re-categorised from an 8M limit down to 4M as a result of the re-testing, but there was nothing to support doing that.

He's now ordered the line to be reset to the original 8M level and has assured me that I will get my old connection speed back. They'll certainly be hearing from me again if it isn't.
      UPDATE:

I've now dealt with Sky twice about this and am still stuck on a sub-4Meg connection.

Sky are telling me that the line stats show my line "is not capable of more than 4Meg" - despite me being able to provide proof (RouterStats Lite logs and graphs) that I was on 5.9Meg until the 1st June !

I pointed out that I don't believe the fact that the onset of the "problem" with my connection with me signing up for the new contract was merely coincidental.

Last time I had to fight to get past Tier 1. The "highlight" was one muppet who could not comprehend the fact that with a filtered faceplate on my master socket feeding straight into my router via a CAT5 cable I don't actually need microfilters; he insisted that all my problems were down to me not using microfilters. He even insisted that I could plug my CAT5 cable into a microfilter because he didn't know the difference between an RJ11 and an RJ45 !

I eventually managed to get it escalated to a very helpful Tier 3 engineer last week and he tried everything he could to get my old speed back, but to no avail. He's supportive of my case but doubts Sky will investigate further.

The equipment and wiring in my house is OK and Sky claims their equipment at the exchange is OK, so that only leaves BT Wholesale in the middle - I can't talk to them directly because I'm the end-user and Sky says there's no reason to talk to BT as there's no fault with my line !

So Sky have managed to take what should have been a simple billing change and turn it into a 33% service loss to me.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions at this point, or new people at Sky that I can approach for assistance ?

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Has your noise margin decreased? Have you been moved onto the SVBN (talk and BB)?

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Has your noise margin decreased? Have you been moved onto the SVBN (talk and BB)?
      No and No:

Both my noise margin and Line Attenuation appear to be the same as previously; my current stats (Downstream / Upstream) are:

Connection Speed: 3814 kbps / 946 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 51 db / 31 db
      Noise Margin: 7 db / 8 db

My talk service is still with BT not Sky so there was no reason for them to change anything.

Literally all I needed Sky to do was add another 12 months to my contract, there were no physical or service changes required.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast