Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

4.1m people watch live coverage of the Sky News Debate

This is a discussion on 4.1m people watch live coverage of the Sky News Debate within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Last night's Sky News Debate between Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg was watched by a total live audience ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

4.1m people watch live coverage of the Sky News Debate

Last night's Sky News Debate between Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg was watched by a total live audience of 4.073 million across all of the channels on which it was broadcast. The total audience peaked between 21.00 and 21.15 when 4.592 million people were watching the debate, which was moderated by Sky News political editor Adam Boulton.

Overnight data from the industry research body BARB shows that the biggest live audience was on Sky News itself, which was watched by an average of 2.125 million between 20.00 and 21.30. Live coverage was also broadcast on the BBC News Channel, watched by an average of 1.362 million, and Sky 3, which was watched by an average of 586,000.

John Ryley, Head of Sky News, said: "It is clear that the Leaders’ Debates have struck a chord with the British public and energised the election campaign, just as we hoped they would when we called on the three main party leaders to join in a televised debate. I am delighted that so many people chose to watch Sky News' coverage on all of the platforms where it was available."

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 4.1m people watch live coverage of the Sky News Debate

hmmm between 21:00 and 21:15 was when the snooker with Steve Davis was on it's mid session interval.

Personally the Snooker was a lot more gripping than what I saw of the debate.

I think Gordon Brown has made a mistake calling the election on May the 6th, even my wife is watching the snooker rather than watch election coverage, sorted
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

That is a big drop on the first one which pulled in nearly 10 million. I think it was because it was on Sky, which does not yet have the coverage of terrestrial TV. If they had publicised that it was on BBC 24 on freeview and sat, they could possibly have pulled in more.

I am not sure that having a Big Brother or X-factor type competition is a good way to influence voters.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

well if we had a X-factor style contest I'd be voting for Joanna Lumley.

To be honest the leaders debate has given the Lib Dems a shot in the arm they needed, recently in PMQ's Nick Clegg has been asking some very awkward questions and making Gordon Brown look very bad.

Yet as it was the Lib Dems the media were deliberatly ignoring them or giving them minimal coverage and now suddenly they are in the thick of it where they should be.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I didn't watch it but it did strike me as odd that it was also being shown live on BBC News 24, last weeks ITV one wasn't was it ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

I think they realised that it would be a bad idea to show it on pay TV only, hence the showing on News 24. Didn't help the figures much though.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky made the rights freely available to anyone. BBC could have simulcast on BBC1 if they wanted, but there's some story about the BNP wanting airtime if they did. Not sure where i read that tho.

edit link: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcas...d-griffin.html