Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 95 of 132 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I think they may realize that many who have a very low speed will probably not benefit from a fibre ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

I think they may realize that many who have a very low speed will probably not benefit from a fibre update as it is just not available on their cabinet. Unfortunately many of the rural exchanges with the lowest speeds are not going to benefit for many years to come.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post

The message I am receiving (from the info off several people) is as if, that Sky are trying to downplay the benefits of a "superfast" connection for some reason.

Which seems really strange to me.
      Perhaps they don't want a similar problem like they had with Anytime+ where they were advertising how great it was, yet a large portion of their customers were left behind when their software updates didn't go as planned.

If they downplay it somewhat, they would perhaps hope for a more gradual build up, rather than everyone demanding it at once. There is plenty of time for them to "talk it up" once they have a fully operational system in place and know they can supply it to the majority of customers.

On a side note ... will Sky simply be able to provide this to all those who could get BT infinity? Or is there some extra hardware that Sky would have to have in the exchange? (for example, would it have to have Sky's LLU equipment in?)

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      On a side note ... will Sky simply be able to provide this to all those who could get BT infinity? Or is there some extra hardware that Sky would have to have in the exchange? (for example, would it have to have Sky's LLU equipment in?)
      Good question.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      In all honesty I have no idea. I would assume yes, as ISPs like Plusnet etc can offer fibre.

Perhaps they could rent it off BT just like they do with Connect?

Although saying that, if they are charged per GB of data then you would expect Sky to control it just like Connect etc

I guess Sky would prefer to have their own kit to offer it, and then they don't get ridiculous data usage billing from those individuals who download legal Linux images etc 4000 times per month, each.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

In all honesty I have no idea. I would assume yes, as ISPs like Plusnet etc can offer fibre.

Perhaps they could rent it off BT just like they do with Connect?

Although saying that, if they are charged per GB of data then you would expect Sky to control it just like Connect etc
      I would hope that if Sky can't offer a single price for FTTC, whether or not you have their equipment in the local exchange.

If Sky can't offer a single price, then I would hope that they would be prepared to offer one package for Sky LLU areas and another for non-Sky LLU areas.

As for the bandwidth limits, peak time speeds, bandwidth limits between midnight and 8am or 9am, I would also hope that Sky can get a much better deal than they have with the Connect package.

I guess Sky would prefer to have their own kit to offer it, and then they don't get ridiculous data usage billing from those individuals who download legal Linux images etc 4000 times per month, each.
      Is that a challenge?

I'd better get some more storage space between now and when FTTC is finally enabled in my area then.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

So who here has crappy speed and has FTTC available at the moment?

Ring sky and try your luck I suppose?

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

well I have OK speeds but fttc is available.

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky fibre/Turbo broadband will not have the same restrictions that Connect has on it due to the way it works as on Connect Sky have to rent the equipment and bandwith off BT wholesale, Where as the Fibre/Turbo broadband will be using Sky/Easynets own backhaul and ISAMs all they will be renting off BT Openreach will be the VDSL modems of which are part funded by the Goverment and also the carriage over their fibre cabinet and back to exchange which they have to pay for on ADSL as well but slightly lower cost.

Cost wise I would say it will be an extra 10 per month as will want to position it well against BT Infinity which at present is going very well as confirmed by few Openreach engineers with one stating that is all he seems to be doing at min and in some areas have got sub contractors Kellys Communication doing just fibre installs and modem replacements. BT obviously know that Sky's fibre product is ready to launch hence the massive Infinity marketing campaign with a two pronged approach one with the students for younger market then another featuring older couple video chatting to grandkids in Australia while another is on internet and more kids playing online games. Along with major web banners on so may websites and deals with Quidco,Groupon,Voucher codes.All of course done to get people signed up before Sky announce their product

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

does anyone know of a date then if there close to releasing a fibre product why have they not said anything

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

All the more reason for Sky to make an announcement I would have thought given the amount of advertising BT have launched. Even if they say it will be in early summer for example quite a few would still hang around if the upcomimg price was right.

Page 95 of 132 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast