Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 94 of 132 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I really hope sky say whats going on with them and fiber very soon as my exchange is listed for ...

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

I really hope sky say whats going on with them and fiber very soon as my exchange is listed for a June activation and the green cab i connect to is listed under phase 8a on that PCP document that got linked to by someone on here so hopefully if sky get their finger out i may be able to get sorted by the autumn

I moved from cable to sky just before virgin took over due to not being happy with the quality of tv reception plus the ugly boxes they had and as far as the tv and phone go i would never look back as im very happy but ive always been disappointed by the 4mb speed i get on the broadband as im so far from my exchange and with the number of pc's, laptops and xbox's being used in this hosue i get sick of everyone complaining at each other whenever their game lags or youtube/iplayer keeps buffering

If sky are not going to get fiber products out for another year or more then i would seriously consider keeping all my sky services but downgrading the sky broadband to the free version and taking out a 12 month sub for virgin broadband without the phone line so i could get a 10mb soon to be 20mb conn to keep me going untill sky fiber is available, but i really hope this isnt going to be needed.

If sky do launch this year then personally i would guess at it being in August/September, the price freeze promotion ends in August and the broadband promotion closes on 16th feb giving 6 months free broadband which would end in August too so i could be wrong but i dont think sky would want to launch a more expensive major upgrade option to their broadband whilst customers have 6 months free broadband and/or a price freeze in effect but whenever it is going to be i wish they would hurry up and let us know

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

From what we can understand.

Sky are offering those customers, who ring up to cancel the Broadband, and are in a Sky fibred area, the chance to trial Sky's fibre offerings.

What we do not understand, is if these said customers are then switched to the Sky Fibre trial, how much they are then paying per month.

Logic tells you that Sky have already invested in a fibre network, and that they are now asking people who are on the current free package, if they would like a chance to try the new state of the art network.

Logic also tells us, that if this is the case, then Sky truly, do not give a dam about how much you download the internet. Those on the upto 2meg package being offered this must think they are in heaven. An upto 40 times faster connection, and an unlimited connection in respect of downloading. I hardly doubt Sky would enforce a 2gig download on an 80 meg connection, it would only take a few seconds to fulfill your allowance.

Now if it were me, and I was on free broadband, I would not offer or accept to pay any more than zero to stay with my current ISP.

Are Sky letting these people try Fibre for free, to stop them moving to another ISP?

If so, then chances are, the current prices will stay the same. Therefore urinating on the opposition. A smart move if you ask me.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      If so, then chances are, the current prices will stay the same. Therefore urinating on the opposition. A smart move if you ask me.
      If that actually were the case, it would be most excellent (in the words of Bill and Ted ) .. it would certainly deal with one of my potential worries - but I'm not going to get too excited about that until I see it announced by Sky

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

Well to cut a long story short sky annoyed me last friday. (slightly off topic but i have a point!)

I was sold multiroom as a 'lite' user a year ago (I dont take the movies) and was told the ON GOING monthly charge would be 5, not 10.

My sky bill has confirmed this for the last year. Suddenly my multiroom subscription has gone up to 10. The sky operator I spoke to said "sorry it now has to be 10, not the discounted rate."

I have confirmed that I am out of contract on all my products so i now think I will give them a call to cancel everything.

If I am offered fiber (as i have fttc on the Uckfield exchange) I will report back here and let you know.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

It is only a small number of the Retentions team that have access to the FTTC trial. Your should be prepared to give up Sky as I believe that they have strict criteria.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

It has also been mentioned that it may only be those who wish to cancel broadband because of low speeds that will be offered the fibre. Cancelling everything may not qualify for the offer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Some further information, unconfirmed. I would assume this is to do with the information about retentions offering deals to those who maybe thinking of leaving.

They are targeting people on low speed connections and high usage eg on Unlimited but can only get 0.5meg.

People on the Everyday Lite with 2gig usage wouldn't fit this high usage target market.

Obviously none of what has been said so far has been officially confirmed by Sky, just rumours from known staffers.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Duplicate post

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

[off-topic I know]. I think that multiroom should be free by now (at least for one more box) - remember when they used to charge 10 a month extra for sky+, then ditched that. I never took up sky+ till then and I wont with multiroom either.

Just a side note to be back on topic.......Origin Broadband have also been doing trials with even faster speeds than they currently offer - so someone else leaving Sky further behind (as far as speed goes).

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joe pineapples View Post
      Just a side note to be back on topic.......Origin Broadband have also been doing trials with even faster speeds than they currently offer - so someone else leaving Sky further behind (as far as speed goes).
      It does like that, however, we know (pretty much for sure) that Sky have now opened the trial for customers, and not just Sky staff. Therefore, one could conclude, that it is not infact that far off.

Apparently (again unconfirmed) some of the screens that CS have access to have had some kind of update to them, to show fibre details etc - But again, that could be just those who know about it, or indeed have had training on it.

Apparently also, there is another update to happen in February sometime for the screens that they use, which may or not be to do with fibre etc - but could potentially add more fields (about fibre) to more CS staff. It's just hearsay, but it does look like things are finally falling into place.

The other thing mentioned, is that Sky are trying to play it down (the benfits of fibre) which could also account for this bit of information.

They are targeting people on low speed connections and high usage eg on Unlimited but can only get 0.5meg.

People on the Everyday Lite with 2gig usage wouldn't fit this high usage target market.
      And although I haven't actually read it,

Also remember the stock response on the Sky help forum about all the great things you can do with a 3Meg connection.
      The message I am receiving (from the info off several people) is as if, that Sky are trying to downplay the benefits of a "superfast" connection for some reason.

Which seems really strange to me.

Page 94 of 132 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast