Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 93 of 132 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Scubbie ...and once Sky launches their FTTC product, we'll get an up to 80Mb/s service. In the ...

praveena1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      ...and once Sky launches their FTTC product, we'll get an up to 80Mb/s service.

In the mean time many of those living in South Harrow are getting at least 100Mb/s.
      Do you work for Sky? Because South Harrow offered FTTC on trial for a very few customers and it is not available for new customers like me who want to get Sky BB.

In case I am wrong, I would appreciate if you could help me be a part of the trial or commercial offering.

Otherwise, refrain from providing incorrect or speculative information.

Thanks
      P

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by praveena1 View Post
      Do you work for Sky? Because South Harrow offered FTTC on trial for a very few customers and it is not available for new customers like me who want to get Sky BB.
      FTTP was offered to various existing Sky customers last summer. Any new customers after this would not be invited to join. This is common practise in other areas (not just Sky, but other companies).

Apparently the reps from Sky were knocking door-to-door to get people to join it.

As for the numbers, as I do not work for Sky, I have no access to that information.

Quote Originally Posted by praveena1 View Post
      In case I am wrong, I would appreciate if you could help me be a part of the trial or commercial offering.

Otherwise, refrain from providing incorrect or speculative information.
      As I have confirmed a few other times on this forum, I don't work for Sky. However since FTTP is available in your area, you may be able to get it once sky launches their Fibre products.

As for speculating, you'll have to forgive me and many of the other posts in this thread because until Sky actually does launch, that is all we can do. This information though was not inaccurate, but repeating what another member had previously posted on this forum, which is why I am aware of the trial.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hi first off I'm a newbie...

And second of all, Intresting comments about suggested speeds... I notice today that Openreach have updated their checker to include the new 80/20 speeds.

Yesterday it suggested that I could get speeds of 26.5D and 11.5U today, it now suggest I can get speeds of 40(D) and 13.5U

It will be interesting to see what sky can offer, my poor 6.5D adsl on skys SVBN is way behind now....

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

honestly I don't have a clue what sky are playing at there been far to quiet or avoiding the subject when people ask about it. and there going to announce there profit results but some think it will go down not up because of sky's refusal to announce any type of fibre product which is what some are wanting but sky are not listen to there customers.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

It will certainly be interesting to see what everyone will be able to do with FTTC with the increase in speeds.

One aspect I would love to know is whether it is possible to tweak FTTC speeds like we do with ADSL & ADSL2+, then we could push those figures a little more.

I've just punched in a friend's postcode and it came back 40/10, which is odd as previously it was around 32/8 for FTTC. She's currently got around 15/1 on Sky and is happy with that.

I loved their speed estimate though. She used to get around 12Mb on BT, and it is now estimating 17Mb.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

nice speeds I guess there scubs

MagicTorch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SkyQ Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      honestly I don't have a clue what sky are playing at there been far to quiet or avoiding the subject when people ask about it. and there going to announce there profit results but some think it will go down not up because of sky's refusal to announce any type of fibre product which is what some are wanting but sky are not listen to there customers.
      I'm hoping Sky have simply been biding their time.

Let's face it, over the past couple of years, the Openreach infrastructure to deliver FTTC has been very limited. Sky have a large customer base & marketing a product that the majority of their customers could not receive would not be ideal.

I'm hopeful that the increasing availability of FTTC in more areas will trigger the launch of Sky Fibre in the next couple of months. Additionally, the imminent increase in FTTC speeds in the very near future will make the product sound more appealing to Joe Public & easier for Sky to market.

Someone on here mentioned a few days back that they thought Sky may choose to take advantage of Sky F1 to launch/promote a fibre BB product - I had not thought of this, but think this could be a real possibility...it's surely a great marketing opportunity.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagicTorch View Post
      I'm hoping Sky have simply been biding their time.
      I think they have probably just been building up the network behind the scenes.

There are 2 unconfirmed rumours that we have received from 2 different sources, but both of them say the same thing.

It cannot be that far away now as actual Sky customer trials were started very recently, apparently.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I think they have probably just been building up the network behind the scenes.

There are 2 unconfirmed rumours that we have received from 2 different sources, but both of them say the same thing.

It cannot be that far away now as actual Sky customer trials were started very recently, apparently.

There are now 3 reports of this, so I guess something is happening as we speak. They all pretty much say the same thing, so as we didn't infact leak it, (on purpose) we may as well go with the flow and let discussion include that information.

Last I heard, small amounts of customers wanting to cancel were being offered to trial FTTC. Note: Only applied if you got through to one of the few turnaround advisors trained for fibre, have a speed under 2mbps and rack up a high usage.

Disclaimer: Some, or all, of the above may be incorrect and is simply a 'rumour' that I've 'heard'.
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post353888

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (30-01-12)

Thanks

and watch this when sky does if release a fibre package I can see this topic going dead afterwards lol.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Page 93 of 132 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast