Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 132 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Stumpy I have been speaking to a BT engineer today, who told me that those lists of ...

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I have been speaking to a BT engineer today, who told me that those lists of the fibre optic roll-out simply show the dates that BT "estimates" they may be looking at the exchanges - no guarantee they will start installing it then. And according to him, the fibre optics will still not come to your door, just to a nearby junction box - copper will still be used for the last part of the route.
      It clearly says on the BT site that the dates are only estimates...and it's been known for a long while now that the roll out is mainly of the fibre to the cabinet nature, not full fibre to the home.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sorry, didn't realise I was passing on info everyone already knew. It was new to me, so thought others may like the info. I'll keep quiet next time :P

prestonradar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: castleford
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Our area now has new cabinets for BT Infinity. Like others I typed my number into the test box and was given 16meg down and 7meg up. But although it doesn't say it it sounds like UP TO 16 MB download. What I might get is probably much less. And at 20/month and 50 installation 18 month contract and 40GB monthly usage it's a tad to expensive for me.
      Old MIG15 pilot.

ChrisE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

I live in an area with FTTC activated and have decided to jump ship from Sky LLU to BT Infinity despite having received a very good stable ADSL service the temptation of a connection speed of over 20Mb rather than the 1.5Mb I get now is too strong to resist.

Infinity is a max 40 Mb product and the line checker gives an estimated connection speed (in my case 21 Mb) based on distance from the cabinet but if experience of friends is anything to go by most connections are substantially faster than those estimates.

I went for the option 2 product at 24.99 per month 18 month contract and no install costs as the faster upload and higher download limit are important (forget the unlimited hype it is 100Gb per month in practice). A lot more than I pay Sky but speed is important to me.

Before deciding to switch I contacted the CEO's office at Sky as I was happy with their service to ask if they were about to launch their own product as the helpline staff were useless. They did not say they were not but the guy who phoned me did say he would switch himself!

So far the switching process seems quite simple you need a MAC code from Sky but assuming it happens as planned I should be live in 2 weeks. A lot can go wrong but I live in hope.

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

For FTTC and VSDL over copper to the door, it looks like these are new important figures (rather than distance from the exchange) it's distance from the cabinet.

Mbps.............Distance (feet)....Distance (meters)
      12.96-13.8.....4500....................1500
      25.92-27.6.....3000....................1000
      51.84-55.2.....1000.....................300

What is ADSL and VDSL

prestonradar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: castleford
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRaven View Post
      For FTTC and VSDL over copper to the door, it looks like these are new important figures (rather than distance from the exchange) it's distance from the cabinet.

Mbps.............Distance (feet)....Distance (meters)
      12.96-13.8.....4500....................1500
      25.92-27.6.....3000....................1000
      51.84-55.2.....1000.....................300

What is ADSL and VDSL
      Those are interesting figures. I live 700 metres from the cabinet and have been quoted figures of 16Mb down and 7.2Mb up..?? Yes I know that these are estimates but there seems to be a large difference of speeds here.
      Old MIG15 pilot.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

The article the figures come from is over 10 years old and was written before VDSL was a reality. At best it is theoretical, 40Mb is the highest speed available to date. DR is correct in saying that it is the distance from the cabinet that is important as basically, the technology moves the exchange equipment to the cabinet. I have read that some users who are close to the exchange and don't run through a cabinet, who have the higher speeds at present could end up with lower speeds than those a distance from the exchange but near a cabinet. I don't know if this is true, I have to doubt it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

my distance from the exchange is really really really close like under a mile if i had a map i could of shown ya but it might invade privacy haha lol its only a few kilomaters

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The article the figures come from is over 10 years old and was written before VDSL was a reality. At best it is theoretical, 40Mb is the highest speed available to date. DR is correct in saying that it is the distance from the cabinet that is important as basically, the technology moves the exchange equipment to the cabinet. I have read that some users who are close to the exchange and don't run through a cabinet, who have the higher speeds at present could end up with lower speeds than those a distance from the exchange but near a cabinet. I don't know if this is true, I have to doubt it.
      Yup BT have said that those with lines running directly to the exchange with no cabinet will not be able to get fibre at the present.

So unless FFTH comes a reality they are pretty much stuck with what they have.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

those with lines running directly to the exchange with no cabinet will not be able to get fibre at the present.
      That's a shame, those poor people who only get 20Mb will be stuck with it and not be able to get 40Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 9 of 132 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast