Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 89 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I thought the idea was that BT would be giving priority to filling in areas not currently covered by Virgin ...

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

I thought the idea was that BT would be giving priority to filling in areas not currently covered by Virgin Media.

I notice from that BT map that large numbers of exchanges are being "fibred up" in the urban areas already fully covered by VM .

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Let's face it: Both companies exist to make money.

Whilst some enabled areas have been in remote places, BT have mostly been installing FTTC in places like London, where there is a high profile and lots of money to be made.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Newsreader- I had a good chat with the Openreach today have been here nearly all day fixing our 100mb leased lines and voice issues turns out was a network concentrator in a main network node at Nottingham.

Anyway was different guys than visited my house previously but they gave me exactly the same information in that in the 7 or 8 Sky enabled exchanges that they work in all over last couple of months have had Alcatel Lucent/Sky network services engineers installing new ports on seperate frames with cabling also routing back into exchange to where Openreach fibre connections are. Most of these were connected up since Christmas network freeze and in their view the service was ready to go but wasnt aware of an trials on the exchange but said they would only know if asked to install and connect up, As we do not have any Sky office anywhere near us I am not surprised by this.

They also mentioned that there was now very few people still on the Stinger ?? Dlsams as everybody was now on ISAMs all of which are fibre ready and had software upgrades in December. Openreach have also just had a large amount of newly trained engineers come into service many to just do FTTC work

All in sounds like an announcement may be happening soon and you may be right about a March launch which would be about right press launch then installs 6 weeks later
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uno View Post
      All in sounds like an announcement may be happening soon and you may be right about a March launch which would be about right press launch then installs 6 weeks later
      As and when Sky do make an announcement, I would have thought that a 6 week delay to the first installations is quite long.

The current Sky advertising campaign for BB ends mid February. Sky have extended campaigns in the past, the previous campaign for Sky TV, Phone & BB finished just in time for the BB campaign to start.

With the increase in speeds for FTTC & VM connections, a March / April launch date would be nicely timed.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uno View Post
      Newsreader- I had a good chat with the Openreach today have been here nearly all day fixing our 100mb leased lines and voice issues turns out was a network concentrator in a main network node at Nottingham.

Anyway was different guys than visited my house previously but they gave me exactly the same information in that in the 7 or 8 Sky enabled exchanges that they work in all over last couple of months have had Alcatel Lucent/Sky network services engineers installing new ports on seperate frames with cabling also routing back into exchange to where Openreach fibre connections are. Most of these were connected up since Christmas network freeze and in their view the service was ready to go but wasnt aware of an trials on the exchange but said they would only know if asked to install and connect up, As we do not have any Sky office anywhere near us I am not surprised by this.

They also mentioned that there was now very few people still on the Stinger ?? Dlsams as everybody was now on ISAMs all of which are fibre ready and had software upgrades in December. Openreach have also just had a large amount of newly trained engineers come into service many to just do FTTC work

Thanks for letting us know the information gleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The current Sky advertising campaign for BB ends mid February. Sky have extended campaigns in the past, the previous campaign for Sky TV, Phone & BB finished just in time for the BB campaign to start.

With the increase in speeds for FTTC & VM connections, a March / April launch date would be nicely timed.
      Obviously we carry adverts for Sky etc and we speak to the ad network frequently as in offers coming out etc - Now sometimes we know nothing, until the day it is happening, ie if a new offer starts etc and other times we get a heads up on other things, eg the M&S vouchers are changing values, or the sales message is changing in 7 days etc etc

There has been absolutely no talk whatsoever to back up the launch of a fibre product in February, nor any other month in the future tbh - from the network.

I wouldn't read too much into the current BB campaign finishing 16th February and the possible launch taking over then. Although it may be possible I guess, but there is just no chatter from that channel of information.

March has been banded about by a fair few unofficial sources, but nothing is concrete nor committed to the best of my knowledge.

We will just have to hope it does launch shortly.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Obviously we carry adverts for Sky etc and we speak to the ad network frequently as in offers coming out etc...
      Sorry, I wasn't suggesting anything by the ads that appear on this site. Similar ads also appear on the TV and many other sources.

I was just reading between the lines on recent advertising patterns.

I have no confirmed information as to whether it was true or not, just speculating on what may be happening, with the combination of big announcements by the competition.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry, I wasn't suggesting anything by the ads that appear on this site. Similar ads also appear on the TV and many other sources.
      No worries, I just wanted to point out that at this precise moment, the ad network we use, has absolutely no information forthcoming re the replacement or fibre after 16th February side of things for broadband etc

I would have thought that somewhere at their offices they must speak to products teams etc / advertising section etc at Sky, and would at some point have to plan the fibre rollout and advertising to run in tandem.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Well it looks like the technical side of the possible launch is all ready to go and I am sure the marketing campaign has been very carefully planned with the press launch for a day when no other major product launches or other planned news stories I remember last year my employers halted a 6 week planned product launch due to the snow as knew would bot get the press coverage they wanted and as people off work commuters were not reading papers or websites as usual I would imagine a close guarded secret the date for launch. The technical teams will just know they are ready to go and all connected up,contact centre will receive a brief at time of launch then a systems training sessions over next few days . Then once public there will need to be few weeks gap to get Openreach engineer appointments I think lead time is around 17 days at present for new standard installs so just need to get new routers out to customers as Openreach will bring fibre modem on install.
      That is my view on launch from experience and how I came to previous idea of 5-6 weeks lead time and will also fit in with F1 channel launch and can possibly see ads saying fastest motorsport with turbo broadband now why get left in the pit lane get Sky fibre broadband.

Ian Thompson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Jeremy Darroch chief executive at Sky will be annoucecing Sky's latest results on Friday along with the finance director as well and normally he announces new things that Sky will be doing on these occasions and maybe he may say something about fibre optic broadband. I have registered to watch the webcast on Friday morning.
      Ian..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Thompson For This Useful Post:

NewsreadeR (26-01-12)

bubsy83 is offline Banned
      Exchange: brecon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Threads closed guys, there is no evidence of Sky releasing a FOTTC/P product. It will reopen when we have concrete evidence.
      Thanks.

Page 89 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast