Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 88 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I checked bt infinity and plus net even though plus net is mainly for Yorkshire etc there saying for my ...

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

I checked bt infinity and plus net even though plus net is mainly for Yorkshire etc there saying for my exchange is march the 31st. so lets hope sky announce some sorta package before then.

2. Advertisement
      Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It's really strange here because my exchange in St Austell is a test area for FTTP and yet BT are saying it won't be enabled until the end of 2012 despite being the town with the largest population in the county. I guess they figured it was more important for the sheep on Bodmin Moor to have access first...

My hope is that Sky might be able to offer something without having to wait for BT. I have no interest in gaming and I wouldn't touch the torrent sites with a bargepole but since I work from home via the internet and there are often 3 of us online at the same time I figure the speed of fibre would be very welcome as long as the price is reasonable.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

bt have been falling behind slightly trying to keep up with each area as every area isn't the same size allot is small medium or large

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      I checked bt infinity and plus net even though plus net is mainly for Yorkshire etc there saying for my exchange is march the 31st. so lets hope sky announce some sorta package before then.
      PlusNet is a UK USP. They will supply telephone and broadband connections to anyone in the UK.

Their call centre in based in Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      It's really strange here because my exchange in St Austell is a test area for FTTP and yet BT are saying it won't be enabled until the end of 2012 despite being the town with the largest population in the county. I guess they figured it was more important for the sheep on Bodmin Moor to have access first...
      According to SamKnows the exchange has been enabled. It is common for only fitting a few Fibre Enabled cabinets though, so perhaps your specific address needs to wait until then.

As for enabling Bodmin Moor, considering the amount of noise that has been generated by various individuals across the country who live in remote areas and have poor connections, I would hope that you are happy for them to have faster access.

My hope is that Sky might be able to offer something without having to wait for BT. I have no interest in gaming and I wouldn't touch the torrent sites with a bargepole but since I work from home via the internet and there are often 3 of us online at the same time I figure the speed of fibre would be very welcome as long as the price is reasonable.
      Either way, BTO will need to install a cabinet to house the fibre connections.

What I should also point out at this point is that Sky's connection is a domestic product. Should something happen and you lose your broadband for an extended period, you will not be able to claim compensation from Sky, nor would your fault be treated as a priority.

With this in mind, you may wish to consider getting a 2nd line and using that for business calls & business broadband with a different firm. It sounds daft, but Easynet use the same equipment as Sky, but offer a business connection. Anyone else would have to use BT's equipment as I don't think TalkTalk do a business package on their equipment. The only other LLU provider in your exchange is AOL and I'm not sure what they are doing at the moment, but it would be worth checking.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

Is there a site that maps cabinets in the various towns / villages in the UK?

brianc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

According to SamKnows the exchange has been enabled. It is common for only fitting a few Fibre Enabled cabinets though, so perhaps your specific address needs to wait until then.

how very true Scubbie.

My exchange was enabled in August last year, but I still can not get BT Infinity as my nearest cabinet has not been done.
      Definitely a two stage process a lot of people forget about

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by brianc View Post
      how very true Scubbie.

My exchange was enabled in August last year, but I still can not get BT Infinity as my nearest cabinet has not been done.
      Definitely a two stage process a lot of people forget about
      It maybe that your cabinet will never be enabled; yes, Openreach are going back to some areas to infill but that's an exception rather than the rule. You have to remember that there might not be enough lines deemed suitable for FTTC on your cabinet, so the return on investment would be next to nothing, do there's little point in enabling it.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks

It would be great if BT could flick a switch and the entire country would have a 1gig connection tomorrow but it isn't going to happen. What I find perplexing in Cornwall though is that they seem to be working backwards so areas with very little population might already have a 100mbps connection, while the more densely populated areas are told they will have to wait. From a commercial standpoint at least that is counter intuitive.

At my exchange fibre has been enabled in some areas but not all. Indeed I can walk two minutes in almost any direction and find properties that can already get fibre but we seem to be sat in a small area that has been given no indication at all when we are likely to see fibre, even though there are a couple of the new fibre cabinets each within 200m of our house.

I've thought previously about getting a business line since I work from home, but in all these years I've never gone through an extended period without broadband and though I've only been with Sky for a relatively short period, so far it feels like the most stable and consistent connection I have experienced despite being by far the cheapest. My last ISP was Xilo LLU and it was generally OK but I prefer Sky and at least you can call them during the evening or at the weekend if you have a problem.

Thanks

Sorry posted twice in error.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      Is there a site that maps cabinets in the various towns / villages in the UK?
      Unfortunately there is no publicly published data to make this easy.

BT have created a map that lets you see which exchanges have been enabled and to be able to see your exchange and the neighbouring exchanges on the same screen, but there is no further information in this format to show where the cabinets are.

The current average for a particular exchange is for 40% of the population to have an enabled cabinet. and there is no guarantee that they will enable the whole area at this time.

This kind of shocks me as the stated target of BDUK is for more people than this to be Fibre ready by 2015.

BT map reveals fibre broadband locations | Broadband | News | PC Pro

It would be great if BT could flick a switch and the entire country would have a 1gig connection tomorrow but it isn't going to happen. What I find perplexing in Cornwall though is that they seem to be working backwards so areas with very little population might already have a 100mbps connection, while the more densely populated areas are told they will have to wait. From a commercial standpoint at least that is counter intuitive.
      Funding is sourced from BDUK and many local councils are also expected to put plans together for Fibre rollouts.

thinkbroadband :: Deadline looming for local authorities broadband plans

At my exchange fibre has been enabled in some areas but not all. Indeed I can walk two minutes in almost any direction and find properties that can already get fibre but we seem to be sat in a small area that has been given no indication at all when we are likely to see fibre, even though there are a couple of the new fibre cabinets each within 200m of our house.
      As mentioned above, currently only around 40% of a given area is being enabled.

I've thought previously about getting a business line since I work from home, but in all these years I've never gone through an extended period without broadband and though I've only been with Sky for a relatively short period, so far it feels like the most stable and consistent connection I have experienced despite being by far the cheapest. My last ISP was Xilo LLU and it was generally OK but I prefer Sky and at least you can call them during the evening or at the weekend if you have a problem.
      In fairness Sky is more reliable, judging by comments by other members and my own experiences, but there are occasions when a particular area does have problems.

Take a look at this section of this forum to see specific examples:
      Sky Broadband Service Status

It would have also provided you with a connection that isn't affected by anyone else.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 88 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast