Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 86 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
    Results 851 to 860 of 1319
    Like Tree78Likes

    Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

    This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Quite funny but I've just tried the line check at the Sky site and it says my line is not ...

    1. #851
      Flashman's Avatar
      Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      86
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      Quite funny but I've just tried the line check at the Sky site and it says my line is not currently compatible with Sky broadband and talk, which is strange considering I'm already with them...


    2. Advertisement
    3. #852
      F022Y's Avatar
      F022Y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASUD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Sudbury
      Posts
      158
      Thanks
      3
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      I can only guess the reason for the delay is the move to 17a.

      Sky ran their original trial on the old system then BT announced 17a, SKY respond with the increase of backhaul and now sky reps talk about another trial. My guess would be checking the resiliency due to their ‘no limits’ policy.

      Just my guess that they would be moving slowly as there was rumour of a sky FTTx product back in September, but with no real announcement from SKY guess work is the best we can do, of course guess work is where nasty rumours grow lol

    4. #853
      Dazza115's Avatar
      Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Posts
      40
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      Think sky would be moving a bit faster now that they're the butt of most other isp's advertising. BT used them as their main example of how much faster they are.

      Unlimited is great and it's why i've remained with sky, but for the average user fibre just offers so much more and 6months free or whatever isn't going to garner you many new subscriptions.

      I mean the main battleground has been speed ever since "broadband" first became a buzzword, unlimited is a secondary buzzword that has been perverted so much over so long that it isn't as catching as "4x faster than sky".

      I HAD expected sky to announce something late last year and with the backhaul upgrade had expected them to act sharpish, instead BT and virgin will be boosting their speeds so they are "8x faster than sky and twice as fast as they were before".
      Trials mean very little when all your main competition has product to market and massive advertising campaigns sniping your own product that you have no counter to.
      Stumpy likes this.

    5. #854
      NewsreadeR's Avatar
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      St Helens
      Posts
      22,206
      Thanks
      108
      Thanked 366 Times in 300 Posts
      Blog Entries
      48

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      I HAD expected sky to announce something late last year and with the backhaul upgrade had expected them to act sharpish, instead BT and virgin will be boosting their speeds so they are "8x faster than sky and twice as fast as they were before".
      Trials mean very little when all your main competition has product to market and massive advertising campaigns sniping your own product that you have no counter to.
      I agree to a degree, however, Sky do not traffic shape, nor do they limit downloads etc, and are very reasonably priced, no one else can offer what they are doing so cheaply.

      Whilst a lot of people want fibre, and far faster speeds, in reality I would bet the majority don't want, nor do they need, nor do they want to spend more.

      That has to be proven by the amount of punters Sky are signing up to their non-fibre offerings in the past 2 years alone.

      Yes faster speeds would be great, and if you download illegal warez, music / films etc (and I am not accusing anyone of doing so) then it is even more attractive. But not everyone does.

      I would hazard a guess, that hundreds of thousands of people who have broadband, do not care or indeed are they bothered about the technology.

      No disrespect, but some people cannot even read simple instructions on how to apply for an SMTP account on here.

      So if others are like that, it kind of proves my thinking, as broadband is far more complex than supplying your forum username and a password (that you do not use anywhere else) on a contact page.


      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~


      Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

    6. #855
      Stumpy's Avatar
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      510
      Thanks
      52
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      You're right in a way .. there are a lot of people who want to use the internet solely for checking their email, doing a bit of Facebook, perhaps visiting the odd news website.

      However, I'm sure there are increasing numbers of people who want to enjoy more benefits of a higher speed, such as streaming video. I'm sure those on 17Mb current speeds are enjoying that already, but some of us are on those "borderline" speeds where, if someone else in the house is using the internet at the same time, watching streaming video (Anytime+, bbc iplayer, etc) is just not feasible.

      For example .. my dad is one of those who refuses to read instructions (on principal I think!), yet he has just invested in a media player/streamer, watches iplayer, etc. Another person I know doesn't HAVE a TV. The only things he watches are either DVD's or iplayer (and those for channel 5, etc).

      And as more companies boast about customers being ABLE to watch streaming video, more people are going to wonder what the attraction is, and want it for themselves.

    7. #856
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      26,836
      Thanks
      764
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      Generally speaking, whats the ping advantage of fibre over ADSL?

      I mainly game and have a 24ms or 31ms ping to BBC (depending on sky at the time - dont ask me but on some IP's I hit 24ms and on some I hit 31ms).
      Judging from the stats that some who do have FTTC have posted from BT Infinity, I would suggest that Pings could well drop by half. I'll have to qualify that though as Sky's servers may increase or decrease that any factor you want.

      It may pay you to look around at other forums to see what different ISPs are managing and to wait a little longer if you want to see what people can achieve with Sky's first lot of fibre products.

      I would have thought that a few people who have joined the Fibre trial might have jumped in on this forum and let us know what is happening with their connections.

      Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      I'm just waiting for sky to pull their finger out....
      Me too.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      Think sky would be moving a bit faster now that they're the butt of most other isp's advertising. BT used them as their main example of how much faster they are.
      Lets face it, advertising is advertising. So long as you know how to read between the lines, it'll be full of holes. The "4 times faster" is "4 times faster the average connection speed". They can only manage to double mine at the moment .

      Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      Unlimited is great and it's why i've remained with sky, but for the average user fibre just offers so much more and 6months free or whatever isn't going to garner you many new subscriptions.
      For those who live in an area where their exchange has Sky's LLU and doesn't have FTTC or FTTP, the I believe that most on here would agree that Sky BB Unlimited would be a better choice. I appreciate that there will be specific cases where another package would be better in these circumstances, but in most cases Sky does offer good VFM.

      Where there is both FTTC & Sky LLU available, the waters look a little murky at the moment. It would really depend on what you are using your connection for as BT throttle torrents, for example, during the day.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      I mean the main battleground has been speed ever since "broadband" first became a buzzword, unlimited is a secondary buzzword that has been perverted so much over so long that it isn't as catching as "4x faster than sky".
      See above

      Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      I HAD expected sky to announce something late last year and with the backhaul upgrade had expected them to act sharpish, instead BT and virgin will be boosting their speeds so they are "8x faster than sky and twice as fast as they were before".
      Trials mean very little when all your main competition has product to market and massive advertising campaigns sniping your own product that you have no counter to.
      I was hoping that they would have announced something by now as well.

      From what I have heard, the trials have opened up a little more recently. This could mean that things are now nearer to launching. Unfortunately I don't have anything more than this at present.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    8. #857
      Dazza115's Avatar
      Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Posts
      40
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      I just want a more stable connection with better ping times, being in northern ireland and also wanting the best possible speeds results in me sitting on the border of loosing sync often at the most inopportune time along with not being on an actual gaming profile.

      Fibre just lets me have my cake and eat it. I'm content enough for now sitting here believing that an upgrade isn't far off, but the more time passes the more my urge to jump ship becomes more invasive. I have dozens of devices in the house that use the connection and at any one time theres usually 3 or 4 ppl using the connection in some capacity, the extra headroom would always be welcomed.

      I agree on the price issue, it is possibly the main way to value a connection but if sky offered the same great connection, the higher speeds of fibre and at most doubled the cost of their dsl unlimited package im sure they would be onto a winner and I would snap it up. The longer they wait the better their competitors packages will improve and the less apetising their own offerings become.
      Stumpy likes this.

    9. #858
      NewsreadeR's Avatar
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      St Helens
      Posts
      22,206
      Thanks
      108
      Thanked 366 Times in 300 Posts
      Blog Entries
      48

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      You're right in a way .. there are a lot of people who want to use the internet solely for checking their email, doing a bit of Facebook, perhaps visiting the odd news website.
      I bet there are millions of people in that scenario, hence why the free 2meg broadband is so popular for Sky.

      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      However, I'm sure there are increasing numbers of people who want to enjoy more benefits of a higher speed, such as streaming video. I'm sure those on 17Mb current speeds are enjoying that already, but some of us are on those "borderline" speeds where, if someone else in the house is using the internet at the same time, watching streaming video (Anytime+, bbc iplayer, etc) is just not feasible.
      I can do all of that now, with 4 computers, (3 laptops and one PC) 3 mobile phones connected wirelessly, XBox etc etc

      Yes serious film addicts, avid games players etc would certainly see a bonus, but that's the other thing, people want it for free. If it means their BB price goes up double, then it is not as attractive.

      When BB first came out, we paid through the nose for 56k speeds, then moved onto ISDN (about 80 per month) and still that was very slow.

      Compared to today's pricing it was joke, but early adopters paid it.

      I still think (and I maybe wrong) a large proportion of people signing up for fibre will be wasting their money, or will not use it for the intended usage. Plenty however will use it for the latest films, games and music downloads.

      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      For example .. my dad is one of those who refuses to read instructions (on principal I think!), yet he has just invested in a media player/streamer, watches iplayer, etc. Another person I know doesn't HAVE a TV. The only things he watches are either DVD's or iplayer (and those for channel 5, etc).
      Fair points, but they would be in the minority for sure.

      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      And as more companies boast about customers being ABLE to watch streaming video, more people are going to wonder what the attraction is, and want it for themselves.
      Yes I guess, but then again it goes back to the costs, if people have to pay for it, it can offer the world, but they will not part with their money.

      We have survived years without the ability to stream, iPlayer has been around for a long time, yet I don't know anyone who says they cannot watch or do what they want to on their current connection.

      BT and Virgin, have to advertise and innovate, because for too many years, they have let the competition catch up and take over.

      Try and speak to a human at BT though, it is impossible. Gone are the days when you could speak to Busby at 4am in the morning. In other words, no way would I even contemplate swapping to them because they offer fibre. It maybe better than my current connection, but it would be a waste of time and money, in this household, it wouldn't be used for it's intended purpose. It would just be quicker internet access etc - It doesn't make me read or type any quicker.


      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~


      Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

    10. #859
      NewsreadeR's Avatar
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      St Helens
      Posts
      22,206
      Thanks
      108
      Thanked 366 Times in 300 Posts
      Blog Entries
      48

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      I just want a more stable connection with better ping times, being in northern ireland and also wanting the best possible speeds results in me sitting on the border of loosing sync often at the most inopportune time along with not being on an actual gaming profile.
      Fair comments.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      Fibre just lets me have my cake and eat it. I'm content enough for now sitting here believing that an upgrade isn't far off, but the more time passes the more my urge to jump ship becomes more invasive. I have dozens of devices in the house that use the connection and at any one time theres usually 3 or 4 ppl using the connection in some capacity, the extra headroom would always be welcomed.
      If you jump though, then you are locked into a long contract?

      Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      I agree on the price issue, it is possibly the main way to value a connection but if sky offered the same great connection, the higher speeds of fibre and at most doubled the cost of their dsl unlimited package im sure they would be onto a winner and I would snap it up. The longer they wait the better their competitors packages will improve and the less apetising their own offerings become.
      I am sure Sky are thinking the same. They could have easily offered unlimited when they launched for 30 per month and still got millions of customers. But they didn't they came in at a low price for a great product, and are now reaping the benefits, as people stay with them year after year.

      If they offered it me for say 15 per month (as I am paying 12.50 now) then I too would change over, just for a punt. But no way would I change over if it was a lot more than that.


      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~


      Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

    11. #860
      steelysteph's Avatar
      steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Posts
      378
      Thanks
      27
      Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts

      Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

      As a matter of interest. If a lot of BT customers went over to FTTC, would speeds improve for other users since the lines won't be so busy?

     

     
    Page 86 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2014. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION | SEO by vBSEO