Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 75 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Stumpy I didn't realise there had been the opportunity for a "take up" with Sky ... I ...

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I didn't realise there had been the opportunity for a "take up" with Sky ... I signed up for the trial, but never heard anything else, and I know plenty of others on these forums also signed up for it, at the time.
      I don't think he was referring to Sky have a product available, more the general take up of FTTC services from other ISPs. Admittedly, the only article I can find on the matter is from March last year and relates to Cardiff mainly, so things may be different now.
      BT UK Frustrated by Lack of Superfast FTTC Broadband Uptake in Cardiff Wales − ISPreview UK News
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Lets face it, DM has been in a silly mood all evening. There are plenty of stories where faster broadband is on the horizon. Here is another story courtesy of Thinkbroadband:

thinkbroadband :: Gigabit fibre for 50,000 homes in 20 areas of the UK
      Fibre to the Premises is very much the end game currently in Internet connectivity currently, and the UK has been slow of the mark in getting this to large numbers of homes. The situation is improving, but for example the Openreach FTTP project is still largely confined to a small number of exchange areas, and many other projects are just 50 to 100 properties. Independent Fibre Networks Limited with Fluidata as the wholesale network provider is set to improve the full fibre footprint in the UK with 20 new commercial and resident developments receiving fibre to the premises at construction.

The number of properties currently connected to the network or under construction in the 20 sites makes for a total of 50,000 buildings. Service options of 50 Mbps right up to 1 Gbps will be available, and there is a choice of some 40 retail providers who resell the Fluidata wholesale product.
      "This is a big step forward and demonstrates that FTTH is a viable and sensible option for the long-term. It also shows that fibre can be commercially deployed on scale without government hand-outs, which compliments the work are doing in rural communities"

Piers Daniell, Managing Director, Fluidata
      The attraction of fibre for new builds is that installation can be phased as part of the building construction reducing the cost, and it improves the saleability of both commercial and residential properties. For those moving in it also means no long wait to get connected, they can be up and running on the network in a couple of days.

We have asked for information on the areas where the service will be available, and will update this item once we get the information.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Perhaps we're talking at cross purposes then ... FTTH is a different kettle of fish to FTTC and I certainly can't see that many companies will offer this any time soon because of the huge cost involved.

FTTC will still cost, but substantially less than to the home, and is a much better "gamble" for the telecom companies to take. I can't see them providing it to the home other than possibly in special locations during new builds or where cable has to be replaced or installed anyway.

The only alternative would be for the company to charge the individual (or company) the cabling installation fee - and I'm assuming FTTC would have had to be installed prior to that possibility anyway.

Thanks

Currently BTO are mostly installing FTTC, but they are installing FTTP (aka FTTH) in some specific areas as well.

Sure the initial outlay is going to be a little more as the Fibre will go all the way to a home, instead of stopping at the new green street cabinet and using the existing copper cable from there to our homes.

However if we are to seriously make this country ready for a future that allows for ever faster communications via what we currently call the Internet, then perhaps this investment would be more worthwhile?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Oh sure, most definately FTTP is the way to go, in an ideal world. Especially when you have streets like ours where the copper from the cabinet to the front door is the stuff causing problems.

But I think the initial argument made by Deadman was that Sky was not going to jump in to the fibre market straight away, because of a lack of demand. I've not really seen any specific evidence for that, related to FTTC - other than that one small article linked by Mystic Eddie that referred to a small area that already had a lot of customers using cable anyway.

Personally, I'd much prefer to see FTTP, simply because I'm fairly sure that in the long run I'd have less problems with my connection - but the majority of installations will be FTTC.

I'm a little surprised that Plusnet can also offer me FTTC - I don't understand how they can, but Sky won't - for information Plusnet seem to be offering two types of package, both with a download limit: 40Gb and 120gb. Prices vary depending on location, but generally are either 16 or 21 per month: http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/broadband/
      Last edited by Stumpy; 12-01-12 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks

Plus Net are in the business of reselling BT Wholesale products.

Sky is aiming to sell products for their own network.

Plus Net use the BTW backhaul.

Sky uses the BT backhaul for the Connect product, but their own for the Home Lite & unlimited products.

Judging by recent posts, it appears that Sky have been busy upgrading the backhaul so that when they finally do launch a fibre product range, the backhaul can cope with the extra traffic and not require any peak time management.

For those that can remember, BT Infinity did experience major issues with a very slow connection at peak times.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (12-01-12)

Thanks

Ah well that makes sense - I'd much prefer to wait and be on Sky's own equipment than have to be stuck on BT's.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

i have fibre on my exchange i just cba with bt again, rather stick at 11mb / 1mb up until sky pull their thumbs out.

Thanks

Going back to what DM said earlier, when he suggested that there may be low demand .. bearing in mind there was the opportunity to sign up for a trial with sky for fibre, does anyone know how many people expressed an interest?

Obviously it would be fairly subjective, as I don't recall seeing it advertised much, if at all, but it would be interesting to know if they were inundated with requests, or if only two of us signed up

Thanks

I know this thread is two years old now, but this is why it actually started

A lot of people have signed up. The site then vanished, but it returned last month.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (12-01-12)