Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 70 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I realise i'm jumping the gun but after some further checks for my ability to get FTTx when it arrives ...

F022Y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASUD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

I realise i'm jumping the gun but after some further checks for my ability to get FTTx when it arrives hopefully March time i'm a little confused by the results BT give on their sites.

BT wholesale site via telephone number - No mention of FTTx

BT wholesale site via address - Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 30.3 to 32.5 Mbps and upstream line speed between 11 to 11.7 Mbps. *I know this isn't accurate as address never is*

BT wholesale site via post code - Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 30.3 to 32.5 Mbps and upstream line speed between 11 to 11.7 Mb *I know this isn't accurate as address never is*

Openreach - Forecast date: March 2012

BT Infinity *just for giggles* - Not available *this supports the first wholesale test and the openreach date*

Links to sites used:-
      Openreach - Superfast fibre broadband - Where and when
      https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,581 Posts

It is possible the Fibre database is based on addresses rather than numbers. This would make sense as the numbers are exchanged based and we know that not all of the exchange lines are being upgraded to fibre. Just a thought.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

F022Y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASUD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Would make sense

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      With BT FON you have to give some of your bandwidth to others on the plan who can then use your connection to go online. I would not be comfortable with someone using my connection, even if they say it is secure. I doubt if this will happen with Sky.
      Sky will be using FON just like BT did I guess as it's the only thing already in place. When you have BTFON enabled only 512kbps is reserved out of your 40Mbit and the person using the connection can only do so using the login details supplied by BT, it isn't a case of anyone just using it at will, they know exactly which access point you are using. As for it being secure they are not even using your SSID or passphrase do they are not even on your network.
      John
      View My Flickr

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,581 Posts

Sky will be using FON just like BT did I guess as it's the only thing already in place.
      No, the way I read it is that Sky Users will have free access to The Cloud, which is an existing commercial Wifi network, more like BT Openzone rather than BT Fon.

Half a Mb is nothing if you have 40 to play with, but a lot if you only have 1 or 2 Mb total

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

really its not so much speed that's important its the connection line itself it has to be stable and reliable.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No, the way I read it is that Sky Users will have free access to The Cloud, which is an existing commercial Wifi network, more like BT Openzone rather than BT Fon.

Half a Mb is nothing if you have 40 to play with, but a lot if you only have 1 or 2 Mb total
      they would be crackers not to do it like FON, even in my tiny village there is about 30 FON hotspots plus the openzone which also piggy back it. where as there is zero cloud hotspots.
      John
      View My Flickr

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well it looks like fibre broadband may be on its way to Sky customers in next couple of months according the Openreach engineer that came out to my house today to fix a telephone issue.

We were chatting about things and I asked how BT Infinity is going plus the rumoured speed upgrades and if he has done many installs in my area which he said he has done quite a lot in last few weeks and had 4 just this week so seems to be going well. I mentioned how I was interested in fibre broadband but didnt want to move away from Sky as didnt want to lose Anytime + plus phone line rental costs I stated how Sky seem to very slow with a fibre based product.

He said although he has not heard anything officially yet he doesnt think Sky's fibre project is far off being launched as in my local exchange and two other local ones in the area Sky has made massive increases in backhaul capacity which he said was far too large for just standard ADSL as would be the upgrade for the region of 2000 new customers just in my exchange which you just would not do as would wait and see add as required process.

He also said that Sky/Alcatel engineers have been up fairly frequently adding subscriber interfaces to allow for fibre connections, The ISAMs are already fibre ready and that what he can see all is needed is for the service to launch technically all ready to go in this area and other exchanges round here.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uno For This Useful Post:

MagicTorch (05-01-12),RJM (05-01-12)

geezerone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet FTTC
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

I'm keeping an eye on any FTTC developments as I am currently on FTTC (approx. 36Mbps/8.1Mbps down/up) and don't want to lose this regardless of unlimited speeds though my limit is 60GB/mth which is just ok but having to keep watching the limit is a pain.

I would guess that 10 extra for Fibre wouldn't be an unrealistic charge.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Because of the base price BTO charge plus you (for some reason) need an engineer to come and you need a new filtered face plate (even though its just a normal ADSL filter) a new modem and a new router i really cant see Sky charging 17.50 a month for a totaly unmetered FTTC product (although i hope i'm wrong)
      John
      View My Flickr