Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 63 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Kona Owner So then, no nearer to knowing what sky are doing then? Well another day has ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Owner View Post
      So then, no nearer to knowing what sky are doing then?
      Well another day has passed, so we must be a day closer to the eventual launch.

Either that or Sky will run ADSL into the ground and never touch Fibre.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

hum possible fibre is expensive so this maybe why there putting it off I guess. but hey you never know aye heh.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      hum possible fibre is expensive so this maybe why there putting it off I guess. but hey you never know aye heh.
      Fibre is damned expensive, but I would bet 100 to anyone on here Sky have something up their sleeves. That will kill the opposition, any takers?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Fibre is damned expensive, but I would bet 100 to anyone on here Sky have something up their sleeves. That will kill the opposition, any takers?
      But when will they make any kind of announcement?

It is 2 years since Sky announced the trials. During this time BTO has connected up many exchanges, BT Infinity is having a qualified dig at Sky ("around 4 times faster than the average Sky connection" = 7.8Mb * 4 = 31.2Mb). Yet FTTC is due to rise to "up to 80Mb/s" next year.

Sure I don't have FTTC or FTTP where I live and I would never wish to return to BT, but we have to admit that many other people are interested and have been moving back to BT.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      The numbers taking up fibre are too low to worry sky at the moment. Rest assured when the interest is there, so will sky's fibre offering.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

but what I don't get is why sky is upgrading there main centres i guess you can call it or should i say core network for apart from the fact to keep up with bandwidth demands. but that doesn't give much information on weather there going to upgrade customers lines to. but changing everyone's lines means a new router in away because if they use Ethernet or cable then it will.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      But when will they make any kind of announcement?

It is 2 years since Sky announced the trials. During this time BTO has connected up many exchanges, BT Infinity is having a qualified dig at Sky ("around 4 times faster than the average Sky connection" = 7.8Mb * 4 = 31.2Mb). Yet FTTC is due to rise to "up to 80Mb/s" next year.

Sure I don't have FTTC or FTTP where I live and I would never wish to return to BT, but we have to admit that many other people are interested and have been moving back to BT.
      Sky will have been laying their own fibre, I guarantee it.

It don't bother me, but no way are they going to 'not to join in the fun'.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

I realise that Sky have been busy reinforcing the backhaul network and unbundling more exchanges in the process.

The announcement last week about their backhaul getting an even larger increase shows that they are committed to providing a broadband network which can continue to cope with the increase in traffic which we are all generating.

I do not like BT's attitude toward slowing down domestic broadband in the evenings and at the weekends, when demand is highest. This shows me that they actually do not have the backhaul in place to be able to cope with the current demand, let alone the future changes.

Knowing what I do about planning for computer systems, I realise that this project has taken a long time to put together so far. The finances involved so far must be huge and so far it is not in a position to recoup the costs.

There are many other suppliers out there who have adopted Fibre and they are selling their products.

Whilst it continues to be expensive, not everyone will jump from ADSL to Fibre. I'll be fair, not everyone on this forum would want a 80Mb connection with a 20Mb upload speed. The majority at this time would not utilise it.

However it does make sense that Sky puts the right systems in place to be able to cope with a likely hike in traffic that can be predicted by looking at recent surveys.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I realise that Sky have been busy reinforcing the backhaul network and unbundling more exchanges in the process.

The announcement last week about their backhaul getting an even larger increase shows that they are committed to providing a broadband network which can continue to cope with the increase in traffic which we are all generating.

I do not like BT's attitude toward slowing down domestic broadband in the evenings and at the weekends, when demand is highest. This shows me that they actually do not have the backhaul in place to be able to cope with the current demand, let alone the future changes.

Knowing what I do about planning for computer systems, I realise that this project has taken a long time to put together so far. The finances involved so far must be huge and so far it is not in a position to recoup the costs.

There are many other suppliers out there who have adopted Fibre and they are selling their products.

Whilst it continues to be expensive, not everyone will jump from ADSL to Fibre. I'll be fair, not everyone on this forum would want a 80Mb connection with a 20Mb upload speed. The majority at this time would not utilise it.

However it does make sense that Sky puts the right systems in place to be able to cope with a likely hike in traffic that can be predicted by looking at recent surveys.
      Sky have everything else in place already, to not have fibre being laid don't make sense.

How much money can they make from me you and everyone else watching a movie on demand?

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

But will it be another case of a slow roll out? - my exchange in S Wales was not exactly the first to get SKY LLU - though I was one of the first when it happened!! Unless there is a universal plan from the word go, then some of us could be a long time waiting - so for me...

Getting BT FTTC tomorrow - fingers crossed! I'll probably be out of contract by the time SKY come here!

What will also be interesting to discover is how a move from ISP's could take place under a fibre regime - any ideas?

Cheers