Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 35 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Kona Owner Hello boys and girls Now chuck some wires in it BT LOL That's one of ...

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Owner View Post
      Hello boys and girls

Now chuck some wires in it BT LOL
      That's one of the small DSLAM Cab's, only 128 slots I think and not the normal 256, Hope there's not many people who want Fibre around by you as it can fill up PDQ.

iechyd da

2. Advertisement
      bigj2552 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSGIR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      At least you have a proposed date for when BTO will install Fibre in your local area. Some of us don't even have that.
      To true scubbie.....only fibre i,m gonna see is ALL BRAN for my breakfast...havent a hope in hell of it coming here.....sky LLU and thats it for the next 3/4yr min......cant complain....sky LLU is dam good

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1360 View Post
      That's one of the small DSLAM Cab's, only 128 slots I think and not the normal 256, Hope there's not many people who want Fibre around by you as it can fill up PDQ.

iechyd da
      This is only a small village and there is another one 300 yards away and it looks like another one is going in 300 yards the other way so i guess the cabs are small simply because of the number of normal cabs dotted about?

As for take up if there is more than 128 people in the entire village going for it at the current prices in the next 12 months i would be gobsmacked. Most of the people i have talked to either dont care about the speed or think the price is a joke so you can why Sky are dragging their heels
      John
      View My Flickr

Thanks

Kona Owner
      Really they are putting in 2 new DSLAM Cab's, That's odd because around here where 2 PCP cabs are close they put the new DSLAM in the middle.

iechyd da

Exchange:
      Thanks

All i know is little green FTTC cabs are appearing next to all the old little green cabs all over the village and the BT guesimate for me is the full whack so it can be as odd as it likes TBH.
      John
      View My Flickr

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

The FTTC Speed is based solely on the distance from the cabinet to which you are connected and which package you purchase.

Currently the max download is 40Mb, but it will shortly be increased to 80Mb.

BTW will be supplying two products:

• up to 40Mb d/l & 1.5Mb u/l
      • up to 80Mb d/l & 20Mb u/l

They've recently dropped their 40/10 product as they want to replace it with the 80/20.

Personally I would love to have FTTP at the right price. This currently supports 1Gbit d/l & 600Mb u/l in some areas. Sky's trial seems to be significantly shy of this speed at present at around 100Mb d/l.

Of course it would be nice to ensure that there is no traffic shaping or monthly limits too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The FTTC Speed is based solely on the distance from the cabinet to which you are connected and which package you purchase.

Currently the max download is 40Mb, but it will shortly be increased to 80Mb.

BTW will be supplying two products:

• up to 40Mb d/l & 1.5Mb u/l
      • up to 80Mb d/l & 20Mb u/l

They've recently dropped their 40/10 product as they want to replace it with the 80/20.

Personally I would love to have FTTP at the right price. This currently supports 1Gbit d/l & 600Mb u/l in some areas. Sky's trial seems to be significantly shy of this speed at present at around 100Mb d/l.

Of course it would be nice to ensure that there is no traffic shaping or monthly limits too.
      You can still order BT 40/10 plan as 80/20 may not be in till next year so I've been told. At peak times I've noted that my u/l speed drops about 0.5Mb, d/l stays the same. As for limits the moans I've seen lately have been from people on 40GB d/l limit who have gone over very quickly, have seen people with really silly amounts per month and they do it month after month.
      You want the speed that a friend of mine has then.
      Kona Owner
      I hear you and I understand what you mean as I was saying is that it's odd that BT are costing themselves extra money that's all and that's not the BT I know lol
      iechyd da
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband-speed1.jpg  
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

You can still order BT 40/10 plan as 80/20 may not be in till next year so I've been told.
      Now why does this not surprise me? My statement was based on the press release by BT only one month ago.

It specifically stated that the 40/20 package would be withdrawn and existing customers would be moved off it in anticipation of the 80/20 package. I guess that a lot of people complained about it.

At peak times I've noted that my u/l speed drops about 0.5Mb, d/l stays the same.
      I would guess that this will be down to noise interfering with signal, rather than any capping.

As for limits the moans I've seen lately have been from people on 40GB d/l limit who have gone over very quickly, have seen people with really silly amounts per month and they do it month after month.
      People who subscribe to Sky BB Connect have this same limit. It is very easy to go over it on an ADSL connection. I dread to think how easy it is to go over on a FTTC connection.

You want the speed that a friend of mine has then.
      lol - nice figures. It confirms that the UK has dropped behind in terms of BB connection speeds. There are many claimed potential speeds for FTTP. I'm not sure how fast the backhaul system runs at. This information might be public, but it isn't easy to find.

According to the Wiki page, in 1987 it was already possible to transmit at 1.7Gbits on a 'Single-mode optical fibre' (essential one wavelength of the light spectrum in a single cable). Knowing that many current fibre cables have multiple light wavelengths in multiple optical cables, I dread to think what the potential is now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

If they drop the 10Mbit upload i wont bother getting it, its the upload i want really because of all the photos i have to upload.
      John
      View My Flickr

Thanks

They are only dropping the 10Mb u/l in favor of 20Mb u/l, which seems dull to me as they are keeping the 2Mb u/l.
      Scubbie
      Now I'll give you the bad news, He pays a lot for his speed 12.75 per month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      No Limit's. I Hate him sometimes lol
      iechyd da

Page 35 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast