Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 28 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Sorry, typo. It should be the Sagem 2504N. Please see this thread: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...tml#post309406 Ah thanks - ...

Meteosat is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry, typo. It should be the Sagem 2504N.

Please see this thread:

Sagem 2504N SKY
      Ah thanks - but pity it isn't dual band - it's still going to contest a crowded band in our house - not to mention when the Micro-Wave is running!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      Ah thanks - but pity it isn't dual band - it's still going to contest a crowded band in our house - not to mention when the Micro-Wave is running!!
      It is hard to say at this stage whether you could get away with using a non-Sky cable/vdsl router when Sky does launch it's fibre products. There are plenty out there that would allow you to use dual band already.

The next thing though is to find out whether or not your computer already supports dual band. The Laptop I bought only last December has WiFi n, but not dual band. I need a separate dongle to make use of the 5GHz frequency.

...but what is nice is that no one else is on these channels where I am, yet there is over 40 2.4GHz routers.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

yea 2.4ghz seems to be popular than 5ghz hum but its also proan to interference 2.4ghz

Thanks

All wireless is subject to interference.

Whilst Microwaves operate close to the WiFi channels, you can also get things like Video Senders that interfere with the 5GHz frequencies.

However, 5GHz travels less distance than 2.4GHz, so there is likely to be less of a problem, unless you are close to military Radar establishments like there is on Portsdown Hill.

Some Radars use the 5GHz frequencies, hence in the UK we have yet to have them all opened for public usage.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It is hard to say at this stage whether you could get away with using a non-Sky cable/vdsl router when Sky does launch it's fibre products. There are plenty out there that would allow you to use dual band already.

The next thing though is to find out whether or not your computer already supports dual band. The Laptop I bought only last December has WiFi n, but not dual band. I need a separate dongle to make use of the 5GHz frequency.

...but what is nice is that no one else is on these channels where I am, yet there is over 40 2.4GHz routers.
      I would assume that Sky would maintain its current policy of having this new dual use router have it's log in details onboard but they may have seen the light.

Also certain cordless phones operate in the 5Ghz band as well but it is a whole lot less congested than 2.4Ghz.

As for your laptop I would check eBay for a Dual band wireless N card that you can swap out for the one in your laptop.

I got a dual band wireless card for my wife's HP laptop brand new for 15 off ebay where HP wanted 80 for the same card.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Undecided Adrian For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (15-07-11)

Meteosat is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Thanks

True - my main use would be with my Toshiba Regza TV which has a dual band wireless dongle for media streaming. Don't particularly want to run into issues with SKY until they have changed their policy on using the supplied router.

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      As for your laptop I would check eBay for a Dual band wireless N card that you can swap out for the one in your laptop.

I got a dual band wireless card for my wife's HP laptop brand new for 15 off ebay where HP wanted 80 for the same card.
      Noted with regards to the 5GHz telephones.

I may look into the replacement WiFi adaptor at some stage. I felt it was a useful example to make as not all WiFi n adaptors are dual band, so not everyone would benefit at present. In this case though Meteosat does have a dual band dongle.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      True - my main use would be with my Toshiba Regza TV which has a dual band wireless dongle for media streaming. Don't particularly want to run into issues with SKY until they have changed their policy on using the supplied router.
      You might end up waiting a very long time.

I have a Samsung TV & Samsung Home Theatre and both connect to my LAN via cable. The HT has a built in WiFi, but I prefer the wired solution as it is more reliable, especially when it comes to streaming lots of content.

I know that dual band is better than WiFi g and the router I am using now prioritises streamed content.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

but the thing is if sky keep to its onbaord policy with its user name and password embeded inside the router people will find a way of either taking it out or using the mac address thats on the router if sky go the mer way

Thanks

Had anyone see this story?:

thinkbroadband :: Openreach tout 20meg upstream for 80meg FTTC variant

Openreach is to introduce faster fibre-broadband based services in the near future with an 80meg downstream and 20meg upstream product. The announcement comes in a briefing to Openreach customers notifying of the withdrawal of one of the variants of its fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) products which offers a 15Mbps upload speed. The 40meg downstream and 15meg upstream option will no longer be available for new provision from the 31st of July, but the existing options of 10meg and 2meg upstream will remain. Instead, the company will in the near future be introducing the 80meg downstream and 20meg upstream version of their FTTC products, although no launch date for this has been set. Existing customers on the 40/15meg product will be transitioned to other products in the future once the faster option is available.

No change has yet been decided upon the 40/15meg product which runs over Openreach's full fibre solutions that use fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP), although they are suggesting that service providers should opt for a different speed variant to avoid the potential need for changes in the future.

Openreach are also consulting on some fibre-only areas which they are looking to deploy. There will be five new fibre-to-the-premises sites deployed along with a fibre-only exchange which serves all customers via fibre-optic cable. The plan is that these areas would make sole use of fibre only products. They will be run as a trial phase and Openreach are inviting feedback from service providers about this. There is likely to be some concerns as many companies still rely on copper cables to provide services such as E1 circuits which are used for providing voice circuits, but they will have to evaluate using fibre to provide these instead.
      I like the idea that they are finally getting to launch an 'up to 80Mb u/l 20Mb d/l' product range, but some people will be disappointed if they have to choose between cheap dial-up or expensive FTTP.

At the same time, with faster speeds, is ADSL becoming more of an everyday commodity?

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I dont underestand why they are even bothering with ftc that 130 they charge people for setup
      should cover a fibre cable from the cab to the house and they get to save having to put a dslam in every cab

Its the british way i suppose
      do half a job now
      and pay 3x more later to finish it off

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shonk For This Useful Post:

jdlk (02-08-11)