Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 14 of 132 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian They have invested in all this ADSL2+ equipment and have been suddenly told that it ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      They have invested in all this ADSL2+ equipment and have been suddenly told that it is now not the best kit.
      I'm sorry Adrian, ultimately decisions like this are not done publicly, but if you were to point that as their overriding issue, then I suspect you've underestimated BSkyB.

Most customers will be happy with Sky BB as it is, whether Connect, Lite or Unlimited.

Currently FTTC is around 3-6 times more expensive than the Unlimited product. For this reason I can't see a huge number of people taking up this choice just now. Sure plenty of people are taking it, but not in comparison to the number of ADSL & ADSL2+ subscribers.

BSkyB has a history of taking up relatively new products. They also like to customise things to work solely with their systems. I would not be surprised if they were getting a router designed to work on FTTC and be locked to work only with their servers. This kind of work needs product development, and is not done overnight.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Actually FTTC is only twice the price of Unlimited on BT infinity which is almost the same price as BT option 3.

And huge amounts of people are taking up FFTC, BT are stating 10-40% takeup of cabinets when they go live and a BTO engineer on another forum has said he has seen a fibre cabinet already full. And the BT rollout is going to take years to get 2/3 rds of the country covered.

Plenty of routers work with FTTC and Zen, IDnet etc all use different ones. What may be the kicker is that currently BTO has to come to do the install in the house to install the faceplate and the VDSL modem has to be near the faceplate. The router can then go anywhere.

I suppose it's yet another reason why Sky is taking it's time, It has only been in the BB market for 4-5 years and suddenly there has been a massive technology jump and they are still considering the implications.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Most customers will be happy with Sky BB as it is, whether Connect, Lite or Unlimited.
      I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry when I read the above quote. Happy customers and Connect used in the same sentence.

Connect customers are probably the most unhappy and badly treated customers in the entire UK BB market. How anyone can think they are happy given the posts in this forum alone is a total mystery to me.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Putting the quote into the full context of the actual post, I believe the poster meant that a user would prefer to pay for Connect over FTTC due to the significantly increased cost of FTTC.

Yes, connect is rubbish absolute rubbish, but would someone paying 17pm for connect be prepared to pay 50 for FTTC....... probably not, they would be 'happy' with connect.

steve61 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Falmouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Putting the quote into the full context of the actual post, I believe the poster meant that a user would prefer to pay for Connect over FTTC due to the significantly increased cost of FTTC.

Yes, connect is rubbish absolute rubbish, but would someone paying 17pm for connect be prepared to pay 50 for FTTC....... probably not, they would be 'happy' with connect.
      Why 50 per month?
      Compare like with like,
      Sky Connect 40Gb Usage Max Speed 8Mb 17
      BT Infinity Option 1 40Gb Usage Max Speed 40Mb 20
      BT Infinity Option 2 Unlimited Usage(300GB in reality) Max Speed 40Mb 25.60

I can see many people being quite happy to pay 20 for a similar usage but faster speed or even 25.60 for 300Gb rather than stay on Connect.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve61 View Post
      Why 50 per month?
      Compare like with like,
      Sky Connect 40Gb Usage Max Speed 8Mb 17
      BT Infinity Option 1 40Gb Usage Max Speed 40Mb 20
      BT Infinity Option 2 Unlimited Usage(300GB in reality) Max Speed 40Mb 25.60

I can see many people being quite happy to pay 20 for a similar usage but faster speed or even 25.60 for 300Gb rather than stay on Connect.
      Amen to that Steve. Even ADSL2+ LLU would be welcome.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

fttc is expsenive roughly 25 quid through bt which i think is the same package i was on when i was with em

shear69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NELF
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: skyanytime+ HD
      Thanks

They ought to be replacing poor ancient lines for majority of users the line in is often 20yrs older or more a lot of of users lucky to get 3-4mb. average in my area is upto 2.5mb. Infact one estate still fed with underground lead cabling can't reach 0.5mb better off with a dialup fax modem in some cases and even been next door to an exchange cant get any higher. Probably years before they get fibre unless on cable like virgin, which I'm thinking of going to for BB only though as I prefer skyhd to virgin media tv or phone

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sadly you are right, not everyone can get descent BB speeds.

However if you wish to watch Anytime+ content, then you will need to subscribe to either Sky BB Lite or Sky BB Unlimited.

As the Sky FTTC products have still not been announced, no one knows if they will support Anytime+.

It would also be nice to know when Sky will add the ability to view BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD & Five Player. Many Freesat+ STBs have these as standard (well at least BBC iPlayer is).

Since it is BT Wholesale who are responsible for the telephone wiring, it is they who you should be writing to to upgrade the estate and any other lines that are poor quality.

Perhaps an enquiry via the Freedom of Information Act may reveal any plans or lack thereof to upgrading the lines.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

When we had problems with our broadband last year, and had around a dozen different BT engineers out over the course of several months, we were told that the copper in our local telephone lines was degrading and would only get worse, but that BT NEVER replaces cables in the ground with new ones unless they're actually broken, ie, not able to hold a telephone conversation over them.

According to them, the "standard minimum broadband speed" they test for, when they come out and check your line, is basically the same as dial-up. And even then they won't replace unless the phones are dead.

Of course, there's nothing to say that what we were told was correct, but the look on the engineers face when I suggested the cable may need replacing kinda supported that.

So .. when ... if they get round to doing FTTC near us (originally it was set for March on SamKnows, now its gone to September), I don't know if it would make a difference because the degrading cable is the bit between the cabinet and the house - which will still be there.