Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 130 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 LastLast
    Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1319
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Flashman If I was just a home user with some songs and a few applications etc none ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      If I was just a home user with some songs and a few applications etc none of this would be an issue but losing several years of photo archives would cripple my business. There are online groups for professional photographers where this is a frequent topic of discussion.
      Keeping the images is only part of the battle to earn money as a photographer. Checking that copyright isn't infringed is the biggest issue, ensuring that you get paid for any images which are used.

I don't think anyone here doubts the validity of your requirement to backup your images. Last November I hammered my connection to see what I could get out of it. Whilst it wasn't going at 100% on both the upload and download for the whole month, I managed to get around 200GB in uploads alone. I do limit my torrent upload speed during the daytime though.

Getting back onto the subject of Sky though I am inclined to share a view expressed earlier that they are likely to offer a package which is similar to BT in the end but I do wish they were able to supply us with more feedback regarding availability rather than keeping us hanging around with zero information and no indication on when things might change. BT is just as bad in this instance and I think UK speeds have been pretty sad on the whole for far too long.
      Sky has always kept their cards close to their chest. There is too much competition between the big companies. It has taken them over two years now since they first announced trials with Fibre.

I mentioned recently that there are many rumours circulating as to when Sky will increase the upload speed to 10mb or increase both the download and upload speed to 80/20.

I would love them to make an announcement soon and confirm that they are going to increase the speeds from 40/2 to 40/10 and perhaps offer 80/20 at an extra 5 per month. I can't see them doing this soon though, based on what I have picked up.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

... I'm disappointed by the lack of information both Sky and BT are offering at the moment on when I'll be able to get fibre.
      I'm assuming your cabinet has actually been upgraded to fibre? I just wanted to clarify what you said before, as if you had fibre to your cabinet already, I would imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to get information off BT regarding their products.

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I'm assuming your cabinet has actually been upgraded to fibre? I just wanted to clarify what you said before, as if you had fibre to your cabinet already, I would imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to get information off BT regarding their products.
      I've seen the cabinet is in place and BT have identified it as the one for my address but still they won't give me the slightest indication of when we'll be able to get fibre. Not even a ballpark estimate like "sometime in the next 6 months". I've pushed for information from several different sources inside BT, however they all just say there is no information but they'll be in touch once it's available. Sky was much the same when I called them as well.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky was much the same when I called them as well.
      Sky haven't even launched their fibre products, so there is no reason whatsoever why any of their front facing staff would be able to give you any information.

Your best bet if you are interested with Sky is to preregister your interest, you never know, their speciallist fibre team may then call you.

Failing that, April is not that far away.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

The Sky advisor seemed surprised that they hadn't contacted me, since I had preregistered my interest some time ago. I had the impression though that he didn't really have any information at all regarding fibre, so not much has changed in a couple of years! I hope the picture starts to become clearer in April. It's long overdue.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The Sky advisor seemed surprised that they hadn't contacted me, since I had preregistered my interest some time ago. I had the impression though that he didn't really have any information at all regarding fibre, so not much has changed in a couple of years! I hope the picture starts to become clearer in April. It's long overdue.
      As far as we can ascertain, there is a dedicated team for fibre, inviting customers to join the fibre offering. None of the front facing staff have access to any fibre details on their systems, nor do they know for sure any of the packages that may or not be forthcoming in April.

As long as you are registered then there is a possibility if your exchange etc is enabled, they may call. There does not seem to be any logical way of determining if you can get it, they just ring you.

There's a thread here, that shows the randomness of it all at the moment.

Exchange list of active preregistered members

If Sky release only one product in April or do not announce higher speeds, then I would be very surprised.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

I've seen the cabinet is in place and BT have identified it as the one for my address but still they won't give me the slightest indication of when we'll be able to get fibre. Not even a ballpark estimate like "sometime in the next 6 months". I've pushed for information from several different sources inside BT, however they all just say there is no information but they'll be in touch once it's available. Sky was much the same when I called them as well.
      It sounds to me then that your fibre cabinet may not have actually been activated yet. Assuming we're talking about an installed fibre cabinet, which is different from your normal cabinet. In which case, it doesn't matter who you try, you won't be able to get a fibre product until that cabinet is fully installed and activated. Try checking on the previously linked list of cabinet activation dates. Alternatively, I think someone previously suggested being cheeky and posting the question on the BT Broadband forums.

Thanks

I've posted on the BT forums and even emailed the head of OpenReach for my area who came back with the same answer and just told me to check periodically on the BT Infinity page. She is in charge of the people who are doing the installations and enabling the cabinets so she must know the schedule but it's just month after month of "we don't know".

Thanks

I tried calling Sky earlier to ask when they think I'll be able to get fibre but they seemed completely clueless and couldn't tell me if it will be April or the end of next year. All they could suggest was that I sign up at that page to register my interest. I also asked about the upload speeds and they didn't have a clue about that either so I basically wasted 15 minutes and came away with zero useful information ... Sky is practically forcing me to think seriously about BT.
      So basically, when you posted your original message about Sky forcing you to consider BT, it wasn't strictly true .. as neither would be able to provide you with fibre at the moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      So basically, when you posted your original message about Sky forcing you to consider BT, it wasn't strictly true .. as neither would be able to provide you with fibre at the moment.
      I said many posts ago that at the moment I didn't have either option available from what I could tell. I called Sky hoping that they would be able to shed a bit more light on availability but they were as bad as BT with the lack of information. Hypothetically if Sky does stick with a 2mbps upload speed as previously indicated, while BT jumps to 20mbps I really would feel forced to look at BT.

A move to BT would give me no pleasure at all because I know what they are like from past experience but ultimately I'll go with whoever can offer the best service in my area. Virgin is not even an option here.