Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 132 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; the 1st outage was due to a card freezing, they rebooted it and when it froze again they replaced it. ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

the 1st outage was due to a card freezing, they rebooted it and when it froze again they replaced it.

Not particulary exciting news for the media that, more people got affected when there has been thefts of cable in the Luton area and that is an ongoing problem but the media don't seem to jump on that one so quick.

Anyways I'll be off to BT next month so I can get infinity, not my first choice of ISP's but as the wife has just lost her job I can't really justify going to IDnet or Zen but they are estimating 35 meg down and 8 up and given how BT underestimates speed hopefully I should get the full whack.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

well personally i wouldnt touch bt with a barge pole i was with bt for a few years and its been nothing problems with them pluss there exspensive to just for there broadband alone i was paying 25 pound for 8meg it was a ripoff and it was capped to which didnt help now that im with sky i dont get any caps of any sort

Thanks

but BT infinty will be 25 for their top fibre product which I cannot see any other ISP matching unless they want to heavily subsidise it.

lucifa42 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMAI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

My exchange/cabinet gets upgraded to FTTC at the end of the year and my contract with Sky ends in February so if there is no news by then, I will almost certainly move off back to my old ISP (Aquiss) as they do have a Fibre product.

Shame really, I have no complaints about the Sky service.

firehawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

One thing I noticed about the prices for fibre optic BB was the prices and download allowance.

very expensive prices compared to say virgin but virgin cap and throttle all the time and expect people to change their sleeping pattern to get the best out of the service!

I just hope SKY have a decent price. I am also hoping that there is no download capping or throttling like the unlimited ADSL BB Package I currently have

SKY Fibre Optic pro unlimited!

garyhopkin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

My local exchange (Llantrisant) says FTTC is RFS on 31/12/10 on the samknows website, does this mean sky will utilise this straight away or any other ISP's for that matter and can i expect a speed increase from synching at 1850 being 5km from exchange with this change?

Thankyou

Thanks

Sky have not announced any plans for fibre and I doubt there will be any change in that anytime soon.

Your exchange will be going live hopefully by the end of the year but you still have to make sure that the cabinet that you are hooked up to gets converted to fibre. Even worse if you live close to the exchange you are wired direct into the exchange and unless you are a FTTP tester for BT you will not see fibre at all.

So far the ISP's that do domestic FTTC products that I know of are BT, IDNET and Zen although there may be more out there.

The reason why Sky, O2 etc have not signed up to resell fibre is most likely cost, OFCOM is allowing BT to resell fibre at a profit as that will encourage BT to go on unbundling exchanges, so Sky etc would most likely need to charge 25-30 just to break even.

I would expect that Sky doesn't want fibre customers as if they offered truly unlimited downloads on that package, their bandwidth bill would be astronomical.

Also Sky's ideal customer is somebody who does browsing and email, they don't want gamers etc and would happily see them go and milk the easy customers.

And finally fibre needs a BTO engineer to come round and install a separate modem and router I would geuss they would like to wait until there is a full home install option, and with equipment that they could cripple with their custom firmware.

All of that is speculation but I'd expect if they lose a lot of customers to fibre they may have to rethink their position.

Currently if you go to BT's broadband speed checker they are quoting likely fibre speeds on exchanges that wiull be converted before easter and you could see what your likely to get, BT is estimating 34 meg down and 8 meg up for me.

jeni777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02921
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i have too

reme8488 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lisburn
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm having a new phone line & BT Infinity installed on Tuesday (8th February). For the time being I'm keeping my existing phone line and Sky Broadband Unlimited as I got a very god deal when I switched over to Sky for phone and broadband (half-price line rental for a year and 2.50 off broadband costs for a year). I've got a good enough deal out of BT for the 18 month contract length for both phone and Infinity. With the new fibre cab being just down the street from my house I'm expected to get the full 40/10, which will be a huge difference over my Sky connection.

Naturally I would have much rather preferred to have the fibre through Sky, but it's looking highly unlikely that they will be offering fibre any time in the near future.

If and when Sky do offer fibre I would be sorely tempted to change my existing line over if I haven't gotten rid of it after the contract expires.

Thanks

There is probably many reasons why Sky isn't going to offer FTTC.

They have invested in all this ADSL2+ equipment and have been suddenly told that it is now not the best kit.

Depending on how they would want to arrange FTTC either as a BT reseller or using the fibre to their kit, is going to be expensive no matter what and the price looks very unattractive to Sky.

Plusnet has said on their first stage FTTC trial that users on average used 40% more bandwidth, given that Sky offers an unlimited package, they would have to offer a FTTC with a FUP or buy insane amounts of bandwidth.

Given that their LLU product is showing signs of contention since before xmas Sky would have to invest heavily just to match BT's FTTC product.

Given that the broadband side of the business is making money at the moment I geuss Sky will happily lose quite a few customers to FTTC beofre even looking at it themselves.