Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 129 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131 ... LastLast
    Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1319
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR Why not just get a backup drive? 400gb is a lot of data. I already have ...

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Why not just get a backup drive?

400gb is a lot of data.
      I already have several and make DVD copies as well but if the house was burgled or caught on fire all that time and money spent on creating backups is suddenly pointless, so the key is to have an off site copy as well. This is my work so I have to treat it seriously.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      I already have several and make DVD copies as well but if the house was burgled or caught on fire all that time and money spent on creating backups is suddenly pointless, so the key is to have an off site copy as well. This is my work so I have to treat it seriously.
      Fair enough, but if I were an ISP and you were my customer, I wouldn't be too happy if you shifted that amount of data all the time.

Sky would be definitely your best bet then, as they offer a truly unlimited experience. Cannot think of anything worse than being traffic managed whilst sending that much data down the line.

There again if it is for business use, Sky BB is a domestic offering only.

I would still be tempted to back it all up and store it somewhere else, so it rules out your fears of being burgled or house catching fire.

Hopefully either BT or Sky will offer you something soon.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Reading through this, a group of NAS drives would be my choice too.

One idea would be to rotate them (using the grandfather, father, son system) and store a unit off-site in a secure & fireproof safe.

Anything on the Internet is potentially liable to being hacked. Any confidential material is therefore insecure.

As for backing up your data to the data centre that you are using, once you have completed this main job, you would only ever be uploading incremental backups in future, since a major backup would take too long, even with a 20mb upload connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Reading through this, a group of NAS drives would be my choice too.

One idea would be to rotate them (using the grandfather, father, son system) and store a unit off-site in a secure & fireproof safe.

Anything on the Internet is potentially liable to being hacked. Any confidential material is therefore insecure.

As for backing up your data to the data centre that you are using, once you have completed this main job, you would only ever be uploading incremental backups in future, since a major backup would take too long, even with a 20mb upload connection.

It's true that after the initial upload it will only be incremental uploads but even then it can be quite a lot. I'm a photographer so a busy one day photo shoot can easily produce 10 gigs of files just in still images let alone HD video and now we are entering the field of 3D animation, so I need pretty powerful hardware and masses of drive space. The 400 gigs is a cut down selection of essential files.

I've looked at the idea of using a fire proof safe but apparently the logic is flawed because in practice the drives will generally melt due to heat build up if a fire really gets hold on a property. I also know a photographer who lost all his images in the blink of an eye because of an unexpected power surge that killed his connected drives during a back up. You can't predict everything that could possibly happen but you try to make the best decisions based on the available information and technology, while hoping you never need it.

With files being uploaded to an off site server the trick is to send up the data as heavily encrypted disk images with crazy complicated passwords. They are then encrypted again during the upload process and you have a private data key that not even the data centre can access. I'd say the files are a lot safer like that than simply being stored on a normal hard drive. I wouldn't bother about this for normal pictures but it makes sense to be cautious if you are uploading any kind of business documents etc.

I've never uploaded big amounts of data in the past because my ISPs have always had pathetic bandwidth limits but Sky is unlimited so I'm just letting this run in the background day & night but wishing it could go a lot more quickly. Just look at the number of companies suddenly offering off site storage from Amazon to Apple with even Google entering the market I hear. In a few years time storing files off site that can be accessed quickly by all your devices will seem as normal as owning a mobile phone. Bandwidth usage in a few years will be vastly greater for most us, especially when you are out somewhere and decide to download HD movies on your iPad or whatever while waiting for the bus.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

lol - Just get some 35mm film and post the negatives off - Those were the days.

If you ever contact Sky never mention it is for work use, as they are a domestic offering only.

Hope you get what you need.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

lol - Just get some 35mm film and post the negatives off - Those were the days.

If you ever contact Sky never mention it is for work use, as they are a domestic offering only.

Hope you get what you need.
      Once upon a time my filing system was a black bin liner in the corner of the room stuffed with rolls of film and I never lost a single image. Life was less complicated in those days...

It's a fair point about the business usage but I believe BT say the same. In reality there are boat loads of amateurs these days shooting masses of high res images and videos who could equally decide to store their data online and use just as much bandwidth. Crashplan is dirt cheap so it's really just a question of waiting for the technology to meet market demands.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I just read this, not sure if they would do this in the UK though.

If you have a lot to back up, the initial backup might take longer than you'd like. So we offer a ‘seed service’ where we send you an external hard drive to use for your first backup. After you send it back, we transfer the data directly to CrashPlan Central, saving a lot of time on your first backup.
      Maybe worth a shot?

Thanks

No go in the UK unfortunately.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

I just read this, not sure if they would do this in the UK though.

Maybe worth a shot?
      hum I wouldn't trust anyone with my data but its your call mate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      hum I wouldn't trust anyone with my data but its your call mate
      If I was just a home user with some songs and a few applications etc none of this would be an issue but losing several years of photo archives would cripple my business. There are online groups for professional photographers where this is a frequent topic of discussion.

Getting back onto the subject of Sky though I am inclined to share a view expressed earlier that they are likely to offer a package which is similar to BT in the end but I do wish they were able to supply us with more feedback regarding availability rather than keeping us hanging around with zero information and no indication on when things might change. BT is just as bad in this instance and I think UK speeds have been pretty sad on the whole for far too long.