Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 121 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
    Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1319
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Our new cabinet was put in place about 18 months ago and BT Infinity has been available to me for ...

kimc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pontefract
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Our new cabinet was put in place about 18 months ago and BT Infinity has been available to me for about a year. Wonder if this means I will be able to get Sky Fibre in April?

Kims Design

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

No reason why you shouldn't, but if the uptake is as big as some would suggest then the actual connection could take several weeks or even months, depending on how busy the local engineers are. If you want it, better get in quick

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

kimc (05-02-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Another double post

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

With regards to BT cabinets, I'm a bit disappointed with how far mine is to be honest. When I first heard about FTTC, I saw a cabinet in the next street and (perhaps naively) thought that's where my connection would come from (or a new cabinet near it). I might still get around 31meg (estimated), but already my thoughts are turning to the double-speed implementation they're talking about. Are we ever satisfied .

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joe pineapples View Post
      With regards to BT cabinets, I'm a bit disappointed with how far mine is to be honest. When I first heard about FTTC, I saw a cabinet in the next street and (perhaps naively) thought that's where my connection would come from (or a new cabinet near it). I might still get around 31meg (estimated), but already my thoughts are turning to the double-speed implementation they're talking about. Are we ever satisfied .
      The closest cabinet may not be the one you are fed from.

In the past openreach may have had a cabinet which was full and so may have fed a house line to a cabinet further away.

Also my cabinet doesn't feed the people opposite me on the street, I am almost the last house where that cabinet serves and the people opposite me are serverd by the cab in the oppsite direction. Which is unlucky for them as their cabinet doesn't have FTTC yet.

Anyways the line checkers have been fairly conservative (my 33 was 52 in reality) and 10 days ago saw the 17a line profiles being brought into play which uplifted a lot of the line checks to their new 80/20 possible speeds (capped at 40 for now).

So is your estimate of 31 meg in the last 10 days?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Something to bear in mind with all these discussions is that your broadband connection is effectively limited by the speed of the server you are connected to, no matter how fast your line is. We've all experienced this at some time or another when connecting to a site that never seemed to finish loading.

The majority of personal websites are hosted on cheap shared hosting packages, where potentially thousands of users are all using the same server, so resources and bandwidth is divided among every user. That's why they are often slow to load if badly managed.

Serious commercial websites are often hosted on a VPS or fully dedicated server and most of those have a 100mbps connection, which has to cope with all the users online. There are very few servers with a 1000mbps ports mainly because they are hugely expensive to run. I just thought it was worth pointing out that some of the talked about speeds are only theoretical in many cases. Upload speeds are also limited.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

This will go to explaining why many people will not notice much difference when they are browsing the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      Serious commercial websites are often hosted on a VPS or fully dedicated server and most of those have a 100mbps connection, which has to cope with all the users online...
      You'll be happy to know then that this site is moving across to a 100mbps connection in the very near future.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

Strangley, the infinity site said before I could get 24mb down and 10mb up, after the update it said i could get 33mb down, 5.9mb up!

I'm about 1.1km as the crow flies to the exchange. .... still canny find my fibre cabinet locally

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      This will go to explaining why many people will not notice much difference when they are browsing the Internet.

You'll be happy to know then that this site is moving across to a 100mbps connection in the very near future.
      That's good. I don't know what sort of traffic levels you get here but judging by the number of users I assume it must be reasonably busy at times. Yes you are right also that a faster broadband connection doesn't always translate into significantly faster browsing speed if the host server is under pressure.

I host my sites on a VPS through Hetzner and find it's fine for all my traffic. For a couple of years I had them on a fairly high end dedicated server but it was expensive to run and the traffic levels rarely spiked high enough to justify the costs involved.

Something worth considering for some is that if your ISP gave you a fixed IP number there is no reason why you couldn't host a site from your own computer with a decent fibre connection assuming it was reliable and save on hosting fees...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

That's good. I don't know what sort of traffic levels you get here but judging by the number of users I assume it must be reasonably busy at times. Yes you are right also that a faster broadband connection doesn't always translate into significantly faster browsing speed if the host server is under pressure.
      This is something that isn't known to myself. Ged and Glen, the site owners, might be able to answer them. Check out this thread for more information: We're On The Move!

Something worth considering for some is that if your ISP gave you a fixed IP number there is no reason why you couldn't host a site from your own computer with a decent fibre connection assuming it was reliable and save on hosting fees...
      I am sure that they would have considered this, but I know that such a connection hosting this site & forum, the O2User site and forum (that they also host) and the SkyUser SMTP server, radio and games server would take quite a bashing looking at the lists of members and guests on-line on this forum alone.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms