Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 112 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast
    Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1319
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I guess sky are mainly aiming the new fiber at current subscribers who already have tv & phone line with ...

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

I guess sky are mainly aiming the new fiber at current subscribers who already have tv & phone line with them but want a better level of broadband unless at launch details change to make the move to sky look more apealing for those without tv or any intention of wantign tv.

i can see that like for like if having to adopt tv as an added extra the sky package doesnt look as favourable to the bt option but for me and i guess countless others that already have sky+ HD tv and talk unlimited with line rental then the sky fiber service cant come quick enough and wouldnt consider looking elsewhere for it

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I like to read as much into what isn't said as what is said. The statement specifically did not exclude non-Sky TV customers the possibility of getting Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre.

It actually only stated the price for those who have Sky TV and how much they would be charged.

It also left room for those without Sky's equipment.

Sky has still not officially ruled out the possibility of both these groups of people being offered a fibre product in due course. It might be something that will be a few more months down the line or perhaps even longer. On the other hand, Sky may make a clearer announcement in March or April.

I guess the real answer is to say "watch this space".

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Right, according to the 3rd Sky person I've "spoken" to, the second one has given me 3 months credit for the "overpayment" and changed my payments to £7.50 a month. However he also stuck me on a new 12 month contract.

The 3rd person reckoned it was my fault because apparently a letter was sent out last Summer from Sky stating that the price would be coming down from £10 per month to £7.50 per month, but only if we subscribed to another 12 months.

I don't recall this letter, and I don't recall ever spending £10 on my broadband. It was always either £12.50 or £7.50.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I've asked the question as to how this would affect my ability to possibly change my contract to the fibre one part way through this new 12 month contract I've suddenly found myself on.

Apparently that was a complicated question as he went off for about 5 mins :P

Then he came back and waffled for a bit, basically confessed he didnt know as they'd not had their details updated, but offering to give me a web link to a Sky page about it .. which I declined because it would no doubt tell me nothing useful.

He's now been away for another 5 mins so far .. I suspect he's hoping my computer crashes or I accidentally close the chat window

ALtheDevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kirby Muxloe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Having been a watcher for a good few months, thought it was time to raise my head.

I am someone who only has 2.5 down with about 0.6 up so looking forward to getting Sky Fibre once I can sign up for it. The new Cabinet is not that far away so hopefully get a lot better speed than I currently do. If the upload is only 2 then I will still be happy as the kids mostly use the internet for Anytime+ and Youtube.

Glad to see that Sky have annouced what we have all been wanting. The cost is not a major consideration, the quality is.

Thanks

Okay .. finally got through talking to the guy from sky about what happens if you're part way through a contract and want to upgrade to fibre:

him : This 12 months contract will not effect that.

him : However, we will keep you informed once we launch it.

Me: So I will definitely be able to upgrade to fibre during the term of this new contract then? Without having to pay to break the contract?

Me: assuming of course that my house is capable of being connected to fibre

Him : Yes, you can get that with out paying any extra charge for that.

The website link he was trying to fob me off with was https://fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband...bre-broadband/

Which told me nothing new, really, and certainly nothing about how the contracts worked.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

I just signed up to Virginmedia Broadband Up to 50Mb DL and 5mb ul broadband £29.75 a month for 3 months then £34.75 a month 12months contract and no phone line rental needed.Order now and we’ll double your speed to 100Mb and 10mb ul as part of our network upgrade starting February 2012.I wanted to have sky but my exchange not being upgraded until another year.
      Last edited by totalwar; 02-02-12 at 06:08 PM.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Okay .. finally got through talking to the guy from sky about what happens if you're part way through a contract and want to upgrade to fibre:

him : This 12 months contract will not effect that.

him : However, we will keep you informed once we launch it.

Me: So I will definitely be able to upgrade to fibre during the term of this new contract then? Without having to pay to break the contract?

Me: assuming of course that my house is capable of being connected to fibre

Him : Yes, you can get that with out paying any extra charge for that.

The website link he was trying to fob me off with was https://fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband...bre-broadband/

Which told me nothing new, really, and certainly nothing about how the contracts worked.
      Going by my now over 11 years with Sky everytime you get something new with sky means signing up to a new 12 months contract.

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      i cant wait for sky to get a proper page up on their site actually advertising the product and clearing up all the fine details, things like if line rental is req to get it, if we need another router or it works ok with current sky N router and confirming if it is just 2mb upload or if their will be speed increases to come etc...
      You will need to have Sky line rental.
      I'm not certain, but I believe you will still need a separate VDSL modem. From what I have heard, Sky may be using their own (not Openreach's).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar View Post
      Going by my now over 11 years with Sky everytime you get something new with sky means signing up to a new 12 months contract.
      The thing I objected to here, though, was that I wasn't actually getting anything new .. I've stayed on exactly the same package. The only way for me to have my price brought down to be in line with everyone else (ie, the price I'm fairly sure I was paying from day one for this package), was to have another 12 month contract. I was told that the computer automatically applied a new contract when they reduced the cost from £10 to £7.50 and there was no way round it.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar View Post
      I just signed up to Virginmedia Broadband Up to 50Mb DL and 5mb ul broadband £29.75 a month for 3 months then £34.75 a month 12months contract and no phone line rental needed.Order now and we’ll double your speed to 100Mb and 10mb ul as part of our network upgrade starting February 2012.I wanted to have sky but my exchange not being upgraded until another year.
      how come the upload is only 5mb for a 50mb connection surely that should be 10mb or higher hum guess I am wrong