Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 109 of 132 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
    Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1319
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Moxey Acording to the bt info, the OR Modem can not be plugged into a telephone extention ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      Acording to the bt info, the OR Modem can not be plugged into a telephone extention socket as normal phone extention wiring can not cope with the increased speeds of fiber broadband and so it needs to be plugged into the master socket, however there is mention of a data extension kit which is a special cable about the thickness of a pencil and upto 30m long which can be run from the master socket to wherever you would like the OR Modem and says this need should be stated at time of order.
      This would be interesting to know about. I had assumed that the extension wiring we have our router connected to was just, in effect, the same stuff as from the cabinet to the house - thus just being an extension of that line. But this seems to suggest that normal extension cables are not good enough.

Considering, however, the amount of times I've had BT engineers screw their noses up at my use of an extension - several times claiming (without checking anything else) that my use of an extension was the cause of all my previous problems - and considering them then being proved wrong ... I'd not believe you'd need to pay for an additional special data cable to be installed until I had someone I trust more tell me so

When you have a "professional" tell you it's your internal wiring at fault, when you have plainly bypassed ALL internal wiring in order to prove it isn't (ie, going direct into the test socket), you feel the urge to ignore everything else they say, too

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

ADSL1 often does manage on an extension, without any noticeable loss in speed or quality.

With ADSL2+, myself included before I joined this forum, it really does frequently make a difference to the line quality and speed.

FTTC is more susceptible to the line quality that extensions typically use. Since BTO also supply a filtered faceplate, some we recommend for ADSL connections anyway, you have little choice but to use the Master Socket now.

However, for everyone, the FTTC Modem links to the Cable Router using an Ethernet cable. You can always use a long Ethernet cable!

What I would like to know is if anyone has tried to use a pair of HomePlugs to connect the router to the Modem? I can imagine a few issues, but it might be nice to know.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

I guess its standard practice for the engineers to try and blame your wiring rarther than admit any fault on their end but tbf tho i guess there is alot of times when dodgy internal wiring can cause probs and be a source for picking up interference, tho like i say my router is on an extension socket on opposite side of the house to master socket because thats where i need it to be and i did originally check it in master socket which made no dif to the line stats reported

Anyway i guess it prob is just a case of because the OR Modem is supplied and maintained by Openreach and so is basically just an extension of their side of the equipment which usually terminates at the NTE5 socket and now will terminate at the OR Modem then i guess its no surprise that Openreach want the modem to be directly connected to the faceplate or at least connected via their wiring so they eliminate any possible dodgy consumers wiring problems from their responsibilities

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

However, for everyone, the FTTC Modem links to the Cable Router using an Ethernet cable. You can always use a long Ethernet cable!
      Our main problem there is that we have a tiny (only really fits one person at a time sized) front hallway where the master socket is. It is virtually square ... one side is the front door, opposite is the staircase, the other two walls have doors to the living room and computer room respectively.

There is a power socket, but it is a single one, directly opposite the front door and is used regularly for those boring jobs like plugging in the hoover or iron.

If we have to position a modem and/or router near to the master socket, it will require some major thought and paying an electrician/plasterer, together with repainting, etc. And I really HATE decorating

It has been suggested elsewhere that you could pay for a data cable to be installed ... is this the equivelant of extending your master socket for fibre?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Our main problem there is that we have a tiny (only really fits one person at a time sized) front hallway where the master socket is. It is virtually square ... one side is the front door, opposite is the staircase, the other two walls have doors to the living room and computer room respectively. ...
      I wonder how easy in your specific case it would be to get BTO to relocate the Master Socket at the same time?

Perhaps the answer may be available on the BT Infinity forums?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I wonder how easy in your specific case it would be to get BTO to relocate the Master Socket at the same time?

Perhaps the answer may be available on the BT Infinity forums?
      Actually .. in theory, very easy ... in terms of distance from the current incoming cable entering the house, to where it would have more room and easy access to multiple power sockets, it is only a few meters, straight along the front of the house. They would have to splice in new cable in order to do it (or feed more through, however, it works), but they have done that before in order to put in my husbands office lines - his office being at the opposite side of the building and up a floor.

Saying that .. I don't know if any of his are classed as a master?

I think I'd need to look into it in more detail.

geezerone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet FTTC
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      personally i cant see any reason not to change the pnone line rental over to sky if not done so already, unless you pay BT line rental for 1yr up front @ 120/12 months then sky is cheaper @ 12.25/month instead of BT's 14.60/month, sky's anytime call plan is only 5/month compared to BT's 4.90/month or eve&weekends is free on sky but 3.15/month on BT and you get to pay it all on 1 convenient bill, its a no brainer [/URL]
      you can use the interactive map or check out the 3 links at bottom of that page for exchanegs already taking orders, exchanges coming soon (within next 12 months) and exchanges for future planning
      The difference between BT's anytime and Sky's anytime is that BT includes calls to 0845 numbers but Sky doesn't but Sky includes some overseas numbers to point a difference in Sky's favour. There is also the issue of number porting which, although not meant to be a problem can cause a number of headaches if trying to leave an LLU operator.

I am going to try Plusnet for phone personally which is cheaper than BT but not anytime calls coming in at £13.98 (eve and weekend calls, monthly contract inc. 0845/70, Caller ID and 1571 VM and free calls to other PN users which suits me currently). BT couldn't compete with this on a monthly basis though did offer a discount but had to move to a 12 month contract.

Good to see Fibre on the table from Sky - really good competition which can only be good for us all and not surprised about the £20 charge. I would have expected some traffic shaping or one huge backhaul network even on a 40/10 speed profile though that is plenty as I use FTTC on 40/8 profile.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

I have just double checked and The Cloud will be available for free to anyone who has Sky Broadband Unlimited. So only those who have the Connect or Home Lite would not be included in this statement.

The Cloud is due to be free on Connect too, btw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      The Cloud is due to be free on Connect too, btw.
      I was under that impression too, but the statement makes no mention of the Connect package:

Providing customers with free WiFi wherever they are: Sky will shortly launch its public Wi-Fi service, powered by The Cloud. This will provide Sky Broadband Unlimited customers with free access to more than 10,000 hotspots across the UK. Available in venues such as Caffe Nero, Pizza Express and Wagamama, Sky customers will enjoy seamless and convenient access to public WiFi. This will prove particularly valuable for customers who access Sky content on the go, with high quality wireless delivering an even better experience for Sky Go and Sky’s other video-rich applications.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Our main problem there is that we have a tiny (only really fits one person at a time sized) front hallway where the master socket is. It is virtually square ... one side is the front door, opposite is the staircase, the other two walls have doors to the living room and computer room respectively.

There is a power socket, but it is a single one, directly opposite the front door and is used regularly for those boring jobs like plugging in the hoover or iron.

If we have to position a modem and/or router near to the master socket, it will require some major thought and paying an electrician/plasterer, together with repainting, etc. And I really HATE decorating

It has been suggested elsewhere that you could pay for a data cable to be installed ... is this the equivelant of extending your master socket for fibre?

Thinking about it, I'll have a similar problem if I get Sky Fibre (and I want Sky Fibre ).

The BT master is in the hallway. It has a plug socket right next to it. But... both are right by the front door. There is no way a modem could be plugged in directly, as it would get in the way of the door.

I'd happily have a "data cable" fitted so that the modem could instead be plugged in in the lounge, where the current Sky router is located, but...I live in a rented apartment, so don't think I could have anything like that done. Ditto for relocating the master to somewhere less stupid - it's not mine to relocate.

I currently use an extension (run through the walls, fitted when the place was built) to connect the Sky router. Not the best option, but the only feasible one. If I can't use that, I'm not sure I could have fibre.