Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 102 of 132 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
    Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1319
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Ian Thompson ...So I'm quite unsure whether it will be available in Gateshead this year. Essentially from ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Thompson View Post
      ...So I'm quite unsure whether it will be available in Gateshead this year.
      Essentially from my understanding of today's events and previous announcements you will need to meet the following criteria:

• Live in an area that has been upgraded to support FTTC. This specifically means that not only does your telephone exchange require to upgraded, but also for you to have a new cabinet installed nearby that has the equipment for FTTC.
      • Have Sky's LLU equipment installed in your local telephone exchange
      • Agree to have both Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre and Sky Talk
      • Pay the £50 installation fee

With regards to whether or not a nearby cabinet has been installed with Fibre, currently you will need to check the BT website. Check the page below for this:

BT Infinity – super fast broadband with a fibre optic internet connection

To find out if your exchange has FTTC or Sky's equipment, check SamKnows and the map in the 2nd link:
      SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Consumer :: Fibre Map

There is a link somewhere in this thread to a page to help find out whether or not you have FTTC or FTTP in the local area. It is important to realise that there is a difference and that Sky may not supply FTTC where an exchange only has FTTP. The two links above do not make this distinction.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

http://www.openreach.co.uk/accepting_orders
      http://www.openreach.co.uk/coming_soon
      from the exchanges coming soon pdf on the open reach site it lists a forcast date for the gateshead exchange of March this year and if the cabs listed on that PCP document for your post code say Yes in the deployed column then that means they are included in the current fiber roll out schedule and so should be wired up sometime this year, unfortunately there are no dates given for the different phases and an exchange is considered live for fiber once so many cabs are ready not all so you could be good to go in March (barring any delays on forcast exchange date) or hopefully not too long after (asuming of cause that the gateshead exchange is in the sky network area).

on the PCP document,
      sau_id is the short code for the exchange
      name is exchange name
      sau_node_id are the cab numbers that connect to that exchange
      percent_lines is the percentage of lines in that post code that each cab covers
      deployed is whether or not that cab is included in the planned roll out (not whether or not the cab is already done but if the cab is included at all in the current planned rollout)

hope this helps

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog147 View Post
      Sky told me this on the phone today because I asked them if FTTC available in my area and they say yes it will be because Telford & Wrekin given go ahead with BT FTTC approved but they did stated Sky FTTC 40 Meg will be limit to 15 Meg during evening.
      I'm still not completely sure I believe that though ... bearing in mind only a couple of days ago I spoke to several people at Sky in different departments and they didn't even know Sky were going to be offering fibre, they must have had a very sudden roll-out of training if someone could just ring up and get all of that information.

Apart from anything else ... as others have mentioned, why restrict those with Fibre to a speed that some people can get higher than on a normal (non-fibre) connection? It just doesn't sound right.

Besides, as pointed out several times, Sky have already boasted that the fibre connections won't be capped or managed.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog147 View Post
      Sky told me this on the phone today because I asked them if FTTC available in my area and they say yes it will be because Telford & Wrekin given go ahead with BT FTTC approved but they did stated Sky FTTC 40 Meg will be limit to 15 Meg during evening.
      That's funny because as far as I'm aware, Sky's internal briefing page isn't even updated with this news that fibre shall be rolled out in April. You must have gotten through to someone very high up in Sky to know this info, let alone get through to someone who is even aware of the announcement, eh?
      jayhab likes this.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

jayhab (31-01-12),Scubbie (31-01-12)

bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I can see my FTTC is not available for Cuckoo Oak but other part of my area Dawley had one of it

Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If the 15mb limit at peak times is true it's a massive step back. No longer will they be able to claim "totally unlimited" nor will they be able to claim 40meg as their true speed. Afterall peak time is when most people use their connection and if they never see anything more than 15mb then it will be what they define their connection as.

We need clarification on this, the limited upload i can live with as i dont use torrents but to charge more while throttling the connection is never gonna happen, i'd rather stick with what i have.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      If the 15mb limit at peak times is true it's a massive step back. No longer will they be able to claim "totally unlimited" nor will they be able to claim 40meg as their true speed. Afterall peak time is when most people use their connection and if they never see anything more than 15mb then it will be what they define their connection as.

We need clarification on this, the limited upload i can live with as i dont use torrents but to charge more while throttling the connection is never gonna happen, i'd rather stick with what i have.
      There is no mention of a cap, only the phrases unlimited.

Sky staff that gave us information over the last few weeks etc have not mentioned this. Everything else they did mention has been confirmed officially by Sky today.

The source of the misinformation is someone apparently on the phone at Sky, which by other staff's admissions, their own internal systems say absolutely nothing about fibre.

I would treat the cap as a rumour or misinformation.

I hope I am not proved wrong though.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

skippy75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub
      Thanks

Going to be awhile before we are upgraded here i think, we are well down the list on bts website. Good news for others tho

Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yea,was just looking through the press release and they mention and define unlimited as:

"Sky’s totally unlimited service is free from the fair use policies that other broadband providers use to slow speeds down at peak times to alleviate contention in their networks."

So it's somebody spreading misinformation as if they throttled the connection they wouldnt meet their own criteria of unlimited or their own marketing strategy that has worked so well.
      Stumpy and jayhab like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazza115 For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (31-01-12)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      So it's somebody spreading misinformation as if they throttled the connection they wouldnt meet their own criteria of unlimited or their own marketing strategy that has worked so well.

It's someone who is not even a Sky customer spreading the information, make of that what you will.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser