Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 100 of 132 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
    Results 991 to 1,000 of 1319
    Like Tree78Likes

Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

This is a discussion on Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky say SkyGo and SkyAnytime+ will be fine with a minimum of 15 Meg onwards with the HD downloading...

bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky will be looking to run trials of fibre-optic broadband

Sky say SkyGo and SkyAnytime+ will be fine with a minimum of 15 Meg onwards with the HD downloading

2. Advertisement
      Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Now the details are starting to emerge I'm actually rather disappointed. A measly 2mbps upload speed is not much more than I have now and if the speed is limited to 15mbps at peak times we'll be looking at all this for just three times more than we are paying now...

I don't use torrent sites so I have no problem is those are speed limited and BT will be offering me FTTP apparently with vastly better speeds for 25, so as things stand I'll either sit as I am or possibly ditch Sky completely and go over to the dark side with BT. I can't stand BT but this initial newsflash from Sky is a bit uninspiring.

lucifa42 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMAI
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      A measly 2mbps upload speed is not much more than I have now and if the speed is limited to 15mbps at peak times we'll be looking at all this for just three times more than we are paying now...
      I think we should get some confirmation about the 15mb before we panic about that, and upload speed really isn't a concern for most customers which is why they won't offer more just yet.

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      I will be interested to see how fibre affects those of us who have had to have our speed capped because of connection problems over certain speeds. I'm assuming I'm not alone in that camp?

If it requires an engineer to come to the house to install it, I'm guessing new hardware, faceplate, etc is required - if that is the case and then you find no improvement going to fibre from fully copper, will the new equipment be backwards compatible or would they have to come out and swap it back out again if you went back to the previous product?

In fact .. I'm not even sure how that works? Are there now physically two lines of cables - one fibre, one copper, from the exchange to the box? Because I've not seen any additional boxes installed in our area, yet we are apparently enabled for fibre.
      All my connections problems melted away once i was on fibre simply because the DSLAM is now 80 meters away and all of a sudden ive got loads and loads and loads of noise margin to play with, before it was 3.7km away over load of shabby copper. An engineer comes but he doesn't need to really, they fit an NTE5 if you dont have one and a new faceplate but the faceplate is nothing special, its just a normal filtered faceplate, my install took 5 minutes cos i have done everything, all he needed to do was connect the faceplate, plug the modem in and see if it was workin. The modem just plugs in and a cat5 cable goes from that to a cable router, given it works this way i cant see a way for Sky to stop you using any cable router you want. As for you not seeing an improvement that would be virtually impossible, even if you have 3km of copper between you and the cab you would see large (relative) increases in speed. Given most people are within a few hundred meters of the cab the majority will see over 30Mbit.

The fibre is blown down the same pipes as the copper but it terminates (obviously) in a new cab, this new cab is essentially a mini exchange, if you dont see new cabs then you cant have fibre.
      John
      View My Flickr

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kona Owner For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (31-01-12)

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kona Owner View Post
      . An engineer comes but he doesn't need to really, they fit an NTE5 if you dont have one and a new faceplate but the faceplate is nothing special, its just a normal filtered faceplate, my install took 5 minutes cos i have done everything, all he needed to do was connect the faceplate, plug the modem in and see if it was workin. The modem just plugs in and a cat5 cable goes from that to a cable router, given it works this way i cant see a way for Sky to stop you using any cable router you want.
      So if you've already got a filtered faceplate like a ADSL Nation 2005 one youre good to go ?

Also Does the Modem connect to the faceplate via an RJ11 cable still ?

Reason I ask is my master socket is by my front door, but no power is nearby, so I have a 3m sheilded RJ11+ cable going from the master, along skirting board, drilled through stairs, into my under stairs cupboard where my curent modem/router lives.
      I'd like to keep the same setup !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog147 View Post
      peak time is 15Meg between 6pm and 12am 7 days a week
      So they are going to start capping existing customers who already get more than 15mb & who wont have/get fibre ?????

Cant see this happening, why would SKY worsen their service for all their exsiting customers??????

if It is true, wow, what an exodus to Infinity there will be
      Scubbie likes this.

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Sure I understand that. I work as a photographer and my long term dream has been to have a system of off-site storage for my images as a backup but that has never really been a viable possibility with the ADSL connections we have been living with. I have just verified that I would be getting FTTP with BT and it's a whole different ball game.

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ingleby Barwick (NEILB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

The fibre is blown down the same pipes as the copper but it terminates (obviously) in a new cab, this new cab is essentially a mini exchange, if you dont see new cabs then you cant have fibre.
      So there's no chance they'd use a previous cabinet then? Because according to BT infinity website, fibre is available for me. According to the spreadsheet someone linked earlier, my assigned cabinet is fibred up.

The only alternatives are that either (a) the spreadsheet and BT's own site is wrong, (b) they have installed it in current cabinets or (c) they have snuck new cabinets in that I've not seen. But its a big estate, there are lots of "old" cabinets around, so it would follow they'd need to install a similar number of new cabinets if they had to be fibre - they can't hide them all!

Anyway ... its a moot point because nothing can happen until April at the earliest, and even then we may hang back a little bit to let the early takers sort out the bugs.

As far as the setup in my house goes ... we're similar to Slick in that the master socket (with a fairly new ADSLNation faceplace on it) is next to the front door, no convenient power supply nearby in a very small hallway, so the router works off an extension (which has been proved by both myself and several BT engineers, much to their shock, to have no detriment to my connection). Of course, with a potentially much faster incoming speed, that extension may have a wobble and we may have to rethink our setup.

I really can't see that Sky would limit peak time access - what would be the point of advertising it the way they have? In fact, I would imagine Ofcom would get lots of complaints about Sky if they advertised it as not being "managed", but then go ahead and do just that.

Colni is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Perhaps i am not reading this right, is the extra 20 on top of the 7.50 i already pay or would it be and extra 12.50 on top of what i already pay

Thanks

All my connections problems melted away once i was on fibre simply because the DSLAM is now 80 meters away and all of a sudden ive got loads and loads and loads of noise margin to play with, before it was 3.7km away over load of shabby copper.*snip*. As for you not seeing an improvement that would be virtually impossible, even if you have 3km of copper between you and the cab you would see large (relative) increases in speed. Given most people are within a few hundred meters of the cab the majority will see over 30Mbit.
      Unfortunately my current problems have been traced, according to BT/O engineers, to the bit of copper between the cabinet and the house tho. There is some problem that, over a certain speed, is causing it to build up errors too fast to be dealt with, causing the connection to drop regularly.

That particular bit of copper isn't getting replaced.

I am of the opinion that two possible outcomes could happen, assuming FTTC only:

• either the copper builds up errors at just above the current capped speed, and therefore it will not actually cope with any speed increase,

• or it builds up errors when it is getting close to the maximum the line can take (currently around 5Mb), at which point I should see a substantial increase in speed, although may still need it to be capped at just below the maximum it could potentially attain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colni View Post
      Perhaps i am not ready this right, is the extra 20 on top of the 7.50 i already pay or would it be and extra 12.50 on top of what i already pay
      I read it as an extra 12.50.
      Scubbie likes this.