Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Sky VOD Final Trials Soon

This is a discussion on Sky VOD Final Trials Soon within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky Anytime+ rolling out to customers next week | News | TechRadar UK...

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      corpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky VOD Final Trials Soon

Ok guys i got some more information on the Anytime+ from SKY

Phone them up and asked them about the whole QOS and ISP's and the reason given out are RUBBISH !

They said they understand that some ISP's offer faster services then SKY and there doing the best they can to put SKYBB in all areas !

Of course i said i would never switch from 50mb -20mb just to get Anytime+

The guy i spoke to actually also had virginBB so he seen my point of view !

So he went off to ask his Tech manager for more information !

What he came back with shocked me !

He said they reason why other ISP's cant use this service is because they have done updates on the SKYBB Modem and SKY EPG were the sky HD box will talk to the SKY MODEM with this so called new updates and its all about the sky FIRMWARE on the modem ! thats why only SKYBB can use Anytime+

Of course i said well what if i had SKYBB 20mb but i was using a BELKIN, NETGEAR, D-LINK modem ! they will not have the SKYBB firmware on the device so there for ! even if i had SKYBB i would not get anytime+ because i use a Belkin modem ! hmmm

They said yes we understand this issue and they know they will be getting alot of phone called from unhappy SKY customers with SKYBB who cant get Anytime+ because they use there own Modem !

So this was clearly a huge mistake on sky's half. Why design the service or system were you need a modem with Anytime+ firmware and Firmware on the HD that will talk to each other !!! all they needed was the firmware on the BOX !

So of course i said if thats the case ! if i use BT20mb I can just plug a sky modem into BT20mb or Virgin 50mb line and clone my MAC and use Anytime+ of course the sky modem would not handle 50mb virgin plus its the wrong connection ! so thats the other downside !

My next question was if its the Sky BB modem F/W how will it ever work for other ISP's on there MODEMS of people with sky on a diff ISP and 3rd party MODEM ? Of course this had no reply apart from there will be loads of issues and phone calls in the next couple of months !!

I think sky will have to revise this idea and start again !

I was also told over the next 3 months people with SKY BB and HD will have Anytime+ as long as they use there SKYBB modem ! the reason why the 1st 3 months will be only for SKY BB is so they can work out the bugs so for e.g if there is a issue sky dont blame virgin or BT and virgin or bt dont say no its not use its your shoddy Anytime+ setup and so on !

BUT

I was told after the 1st 3 months they will start looking into getting Anytime+ to other ISP's and you should get it 6 months+ after the ! but still there is going to be the issue with your modems not having the correct F/W and if like me you use a modem then into a Rout with DD-WRT firm ware they cant update that !

So even though they said you will get it after 6months i dont see this happening with the way they have set the service up ! !

So anyone with SKY BB and your not using you SKY MODEM ! best plug it back in !!!

Anyone on BT 20mb test it with a SKY Modem see if you get Anytime+ to confirm

But the guy was pretty honest on the phone the reason why its been set up in this fashion is just to get people to switch over to SKYBB !

Witch we all know is the real reason !

But there you go Thats the real reason !

You need a SKY BB MODEM with the correct F/W so best sell your 3rd party modem if you want Anytime+

:-)

Also he gave me some more information !!! with this new service you will get Widgets/Apps on you box for ! Iplayer, Facebook and so on !!! of course these will not be there straight away ! but they will be on your HD BOX !!! a nice touch ! :-)

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Also a lot of customers going to be dispointed you have also have to be in a Sky network area meaning on there exchange equipment to receive Skyanytime+.

So I have A new Amstrad 995 T1 HD box, Skybroadband unlimited and Skytalk Unlimited and still will not be able to get Skyanytime+ because Sky are leasing off BT in my exchange too provide me with phone and broadband.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

You mean you are on Sky Unlimited Broadband and are not on a Sky enabled exchange? I did not think that was possible. The only thing Sky 'rent' of BT is the exchange space and the Connect package.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You mean you are on Sky Unlimited Broadband and are not on a Sky enabled exchange? I did not think that was possible. The only thing Sky 'rent' of BT is the exchange space and the Connect package.
      Have to be on there Sky's Exchange Equipment SVBN.

Deathstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Huyton
      Thanks

Two questions,

What is the Router Firmware number for Anytime+ boxes ?

Is the Sky HD box update dependent upon it being connected to a Sky router ? (Mine's a Samsung so nothing yet ).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstar View Post
      Two questions,

What is the Router Firmware number for Anytime+ boxes ?

Is the Sky HD box update dependent upon it being connected to a Sky router ? (Mine's a Samsung so nothing yet ).
      Yes you have to use Sky router.

corpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yes all correct ! so from all the information i have been given from sky !

Not many people will actually get Anytime+ !

Rolls out next week but for everyone els with out the SKYBB,SKY HD, SKY PHONE LINE in a sky network area ! we will have to wait 6-12+ months !

Again a very long wait for nothing major !

Like i said if the service was implemented on just the HD BOX and not there modem !

you would not need a SKYBB + modem or SKY PHONE or SKY NETWORK !

All this points to sky just attempting to tempt people to move across !

The issue been SKY NETWORK OR BB most people cant get a good conection in there area and you never go back to ADSL once on cable !

So i cant see this working tbf !

Tbf a better option would of been !

or as a 2nd option ! to allow people to use the Rj-45 connection on the back on the HD box to there home Network ! And use a PC or MAC with in the network to stream the VOD to there box !

So you could download all your movies from SKY PLAYER and then view all your shows on your sky box !

LIKE APPLE TV , for e.g

Of course the HD box does not support gigabit ! only 10/100mbps

So there is many ways sky could of set up there service and given there customers a few options ! but they went for the option to try and tempt people to switch ISP and telephone providers !

But for now anyway the A+ will only have movies from what i have been told ! and then more shows will be added then apps will be added like iplayer so on and on

TBF the service could of even been set up by just giving people more of a selection on the old Anytime ! the trouble with using it via A+ BB way

If its down in your area or your on ADSL or use a Wifi system on B/G and your on 20mb or less ! well its pretty clear its going to be slow or of course if its down in your area you wont get any A+

And then there is the issue of running a LONG RJ-45 cable from your modem to you sky boxs !

Or the issue of setting you wifi on your sky box ! easy done with a rout in client mode ! But then if you using 802.11g or N with 2.4 ghz you need a good signal and we all know 2.4ghz has issues with other objects in the home !

So they should of just kept it simple and used the Anytime we already have !

its just another service that serves the same purpose as the old Anytime while trying to get more SKY BB sign ups !

Just expand the old Anytime :-)

If anyone remembers the old old sky box before SKY + and SKY + HD

we had to use the phone line cable to access games and sending E-mails :-) we did not need a special modem then ;-)

Deathstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Huyton
      Thanks

I understand that to use the service I will need to go through the Sky router but at the moment what I want to know is whether my Samsung box will eventually receive the Anytime+ software update despite being hooked up to a Buffalo router.My Sky HD box has been connected to my router for a while now in anticipation of Anytime+.If it remains connected to a non-Sky router will it ever receive the update ?

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar View Post
      Have to be on there Sky's Exchange Equipment SVBN.
      We don't know that yet, and probably won't for sure until the service goes live.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast