Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Are The Changes to Sky Broadband Mid Really Fair?

This is a discussion on Are The Changes to Sky Broadband Mid Really Fair? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Because if your line rental is with Sky then no other ISP will touch it untill it is transfered (back ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Are The Changes to Sky Broadband Mid Really Fair?

Because if your line rental is with Sky then no other ISP will touch it untill it is transfered (back to BT in most cases)

2. Advertisement
      Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

I thought that this was only if you moved over to Sky's network. I have opted out of that this morning, and you get an answer to the effect that you will be staying on the BT Openreach network. I have also checked several sites, BT, O2, and Orange to name a few using my phone number which they all recognise. I can understand this problem if you leave the openreach network to say Talk Talk, Tiscali, Virgin or now Sky, but surely if you stay on that who you pay your rental to is irrelevent?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Its not so much Sky and of course you are right in that you have an Openreach product, but if you try to sign up It may be that your line will come up as non BT in which case they will refuse you untill your line is transfered. If whoever you wish to go with uses BT's data base (and if they say you need a BT line they prob will) it may show up as no line, this will cause the transfer to fail.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Thanks, I have until October any way. As a point of interest, I searched a few with my number, which shows up, and my father in laws which is a Virgin number. His isn't recognised so perhaps you're OK with Sky. We'll wait and see

andykate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: crossgates,leeds
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Because if your line rental is with Sky then no other ISP will touch it untill it is transfered (back to BT in most cases)
      ive got sky line rental and i moved over to o2 on monday(and my number is an old virgin number).its not a problem aslong as you dont go over onto the new voice network.
      by the way,O2 IS BRILLIANT,and very efficient
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

return2base is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I moved back to the UK and had a load of hassle because the line in the property I have had been transferred to Talk Talk (TT). I had no internet connection and with a small child, I could not sit in internet cafes looking for a solution.

I asked TT just to take over the previous occupants plan. OK, but after 20 phone calls, nothing. BT wanted 125 or some package with mega priced internet. O2 were no good without a BT line, Virgin don't have cable here.

So I go Sky. Came 2 days before the announcement of the changes so I got something I could not have ordered. So Sky is going. Sad in a way but nothing I can do as they just screwed me around too much and this new plan is a joke.

Prices are coming down, not going up. I also would have joined O2 and gotten one of their phones if I had had a BT line. Wish I had just done that now but it wasn't the quickest or easiest solution at the time and you can't imagine how much you miss the net when you don't have it.

lordmuggins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NINY
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The whole system is fundamentally flawed. The fact I *cannot* change between two LLU ISPs without hassle is an issue. When I tried to change from Pipex (whom we had line rental with) to Sky over a year ago, we *had* to move back to BT, and hence couldn't take Line Rental from Sky for another year because that forced us into a BT contract for a year.

So much for the EU not allowing monopolies to do this!

return2base is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordmuggins View Post
      The whole system is fundamentally flawed. The fact I *cannot* change between two LLU ISPs without hassle is an issue. When I tried to change from Pipex (whom we had line rental with) to Sky over a year ago, we *had* to move back to BT, and hence couldn't take Line Rental from Sky for another year because that forced us into a BT contract for a year.

So much for the EU not allowing monopolies to do this!
      The BT Openreach guy who came to "install" the SKy line screwed up the TT connections. So I. "illegally" took all the sockets apart and sorted out two master sockets (Sky and TT) and wired up the other extensions (which the Sky / BT Openreach bod had screwed up).

So waiting for Sky to disconnect now but need to confirm what I'm doing about a TT router.

Years ago they had mobile phones on contract only. Then they had PAYG but you sort of had to buy your own phones. Now you can have contracts with 30 days. Why not landlines ? The hardware is there, just an oligopoly of suppliers who want to ever extend contracts and perpetuate stifle competition.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Thanks

I have been weighing up the options since these changes were announced at I know for a fact that if this 10GB cap is imposed then it will be exceeded in my house. I don't want to Max purely for the extra bandwidth, and would be fine about it if I knew I was going to benefit speed wise. Looking at these stats am I likely to get any better than the 7ish meg I get just now?

Also if I was to move to O2 which I'm considering as well, what happens to the Sky Talk Unlimited package? Do you need to have a broadband package to get this at 5 per month?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

You should see around 16+mb with that attenuation so nearly double the speed, that's not bad for the extra 5 per month.

If you stick with Mid then you would get the 10mb easily but you are limited to the 10gb per month limit.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast