Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Are The Changes to Sky Broadband Mid Really Fair?

This is a discussion on Are The Changes to Sky Broadband Mid Really Fair? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Brian69 I agree with all that has been said, and if I am right, then Sky should ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Are The Changes to Sky Broadband Mid Really Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I agree with all that has been said, and if I am right, then Sky should deal with the offenders, not a whole group of users. But I guess it comes down to cost. Far cheaper to reduce the Everyday limits for all.
      Not if you loose customers and still don't police them, if nobody is contacted for downloading over the 10gb just like they were not when they breached the 40gb, what's the point.

If they do start contacting them then they have the technologhy to have done it to the 40gb+ users in the first place so they are really just using it as an excuse to give less for the same price. That's just not right

Can you imagine the senario, 40mph roads are to be reduced to 10mph because somebody exceeded the speed limit!!!!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I also think Sky are expecting the majority of Everyday (Mid) Customers to move up to Unlimited (Max) I think they are going to have a big shock.
      The changes to Max are OK - again though, exactly the same scenario.

Without stating the obvious, if you currently get less than 8Mb as a download speed, it is highly unlikely that you would actually benefit from any increase up to 20Mb as the speed is determined by your line length or quality.

However, in January 2010 there is absolutely zero incentive, (for me anyway) to stay with Sky for my broadband. I cannot get over 8Mb and I don't need an unlimited download limit, and I am 100% positive I am not going to be paying 15 for the privilege.

There's nothing wrong in the principle of putting prices up, to a degree, but to disguise some things so as they are not exactly all they seem, is just wrong.

There would be no benefit for anyone on Mid that I can think of. If you have a faster headline speed, surely you would actually suss that and then actually download a whole lot more, but a tad faster. Not download less.

The only logical explanation I can honestly think of, is to get people to change to Max, at a monthly subscription increase. However a person who could not get more than 8Mb before 1st August, is not going to actually see the whole benefit of paying the higher price. It has to be imho an exercise to extract more monies from customers.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I do agree, but if Sky are right (it's a big if) and most Mid users do not go over 10Gig then most users will not loose out. As they now have named a package "Unlimited" then Im sure they will now come down on those who go over on the others and get them to move to Unlimited. Why they could not/were unwilling to enforce the old 40Gig limit on Mid when Max was unlimited, I cannot think.

Dont be too hard on me Im playing devils advacate.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Dont be too hard on me Im playing devils advacate.
      LOL

You work for Sky and I claim my 5

The thing that concerns me, is next year, it will go up again, just like the TV

2 years ago, Sky Broadband was streets ahead of all the other ISPs, hence why it has grown so fast. Look at it now, imo it is absolutely no where near as attractive. (unless you used to use Pirate Bay )

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Don't forget that some of us are paying more for Mid than we were this time last year because we don't take Sky Talk. So come August and compared to last year we will be paying more for less and I for one couldn't careless about the new upload and download speeds.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

This doesnt effect me personally (yet I suspect ) but I am at a loss as to how Sky can justify this. Without wanting to repeat all the above points which I agree with entirely, I am certain this is a ploy by Sky to get people on max. They dont want to degrade their 2 biggest marketing assets ie free bb with base or unlimited bb with max so I think thats why they have targeted mid. As you know I am on max but if truth be told prior to the reduction to 10meg I could have made do with mid, but I choose to use max because when I do download game demo's etc I want them quick and am prepared to pay the 5 that this costs. I think what they have failed to realise is that the majority of people who are on mid would probably not benefit speedwise from moving to max and therefore a move to another isp is the better option.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      2 years ago, Sky Broadband was streets ahead of all the other ISPs, hence why it has grown so fast. Look at it now, it is absolutely no where near as attractive. (unless you used to use Pirate Bay )
      The reason it was attractive was to hook in new customers and it has clearly worked. They are now playing a dangerous game with their new policy as you only have to look at reactions on this forum to see what is happening. Perhaps this think that for every person they lose another will join but I wouldn't bet on that as O2 seem to be quite popular these days.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Its alright for you NR, in your nice big urban exchanges, with LLU providers coming out of your ears, but for us on small exchanges, its effectively Sky or BT

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      They are now playing a dangerous game with their new policy as you only have to look at reactions on this forum to see what is happening. Perhaps this think that for every person they lose another will join but I wouldn't bet on that as O2 seem to be quite popular these days.
      I agree Alan, it is a dangerous game. I also think its a sneaky underhand game they are playing. To inform their customer base in a manor that is quite likely to be overlooked, how many people have admitted to binning the skymag with the rest of the junk mail and how many of us regularly visit the sky website where this has been detailed ? I mean you just dont do it do you, do we check our credit card companies websites on a regular basis to see f they have changed their t&c's - no we expect them to write to us and inform us.
      Like I said I think they have done it in the most sneaky way they can that most will not notice and after the 1st August if they havnt opted out then they are automatically in.
      Like I said earlier this doesnt effect me but its rubbing me up the wrong way as who's next ? Come the date when my max goes upto 15 because there is no way I will take slytalk then 02 would be a very attractive proposition for me too.

mitchec1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCRAY
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      The reason it was attractive was to hook in new customers and it has clearly worked. They are now playing a dangerous game with their new policy as you only have to look at reactions on this forum to see what is happening. Perhaps this think that for every person they lose another will join but I wouldn't bet on that as O2 seem to be quite popular these days.
      Not just this forum, the reaction is pretty much the same across various forums.

Alot of people I've spoken to aren't happy infact I've already talked to about 30 people who are getting their MAC.

Hopefully Sky will take a kicking in their wallet over this one
      What you know is not a secret

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast