Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Changes to Sky Broadband from June 22nd 2009

This is a discussion on Changes to Sky Broadband from June 22nd 2009 within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Following on from the previous thread , Sky have sent us the following information. What changes are we making? As ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Changes to Sky Broadband from June 22nd 2009

Following on from the previous thread, Sky have sent us the following information.

What changes are we making?

As a result of our investment in line stabilisation technology, if you are an on-network customer then you can expect to see further improvements to service reliability. And for our higher tier customers, there is the added opportunity to enjoy even faster speeds.

What do I have to pay for the improvements?

All of these improvements come at no extra cost. Pricing for all our packages remains completely unchanged. As does the pricing and package details for Sky Broadband Connect, our off-network service.

What will the new packages look like?

Changes to the packages are as below:

Sky Broadband Max becomes Sky Broadband Unlimited
      • The download speed will increase from up to 16mb to up to 20mb.
      • The upload speed will increase from up to 768kb to up to 1.3mb
      • The usage cap remains unlimited
      • And new customers can still enjoy 12 months free McAfee security

Sky Broadband Mid becomes Sky Broadband Everyday
      • The download speed will increase from up to 8mb to up to 10mb.
      • The upload speed will increase from up to 400kb to up to 600kb
      • The usage cap reduces from 40gb to 10gb, in line with the actual usage of the vast majority of our customers
      • And new customers will enjoy 3 months free McAfee security

Sky Broadband Base remains unchanged on name, speed and usage cap
      • New customers will receive 3 months free McAfee security

How are you improving stability of lines and increasing speeds?

Our line stabilisation technology allows us to constantly look for faults and to check the line settings for customers on our Sky Broadband network. Following initial trials of line stabilisation with new Sky Broadband customers, we have seen significant improvements to the stability of customer connections and we want to extend these benefits to you.

If you’re an on-net customer, then by using this technology, we can improve the reliability of your connection and we can also increase the speeds available for many of our customers as well.

Why are you changing the usage allowances?

We’re reducing the monthly usage allowance on Sky Broadband Everyday (Mid) in line with what the majority of our customers actually use. Our research has shown that the vast majority of our Mid customers do not exceed 10GB of usage per month. So from 1 August 2009 for existing Sky Broadband Everyday (Mid) customers the new usage allowance will be changed to reflect this.

When will the changes take effect?

If you’re a new customer joining Sky, the new packages take effect from 22nd June 2009. This will also be the first date that the initial group of existing customers will have their lines stabilised.
      for the rest of our on-net customers, you can expect to go through this process between June and September.

How will customers know if they’ve got faster speeds?

Customers can log into My Sky and check the Broadband Service Details section for the current status of testing on their line, and the maximum download and upload speeds their Sky Broadband connection has been set to after testing.

By logging into My Sky, you can closely track your status when in line testing. My Sky will show if your line has started testing, if it is currently undergoing testing and also when testing is complete. Once the testing process has been completed MySky will also show the final maximum download and upload speeds that your line can support.

How will you communicate this to customers?

All customers will be emailed at least 3 days before their go though the line stabilisation process. This will outline the nature of the changes to their broadband service as well as details on the process itself, including a range of frequently asked questions.

All Sky Broadband on-network customers will also receive a leaflet explaining the changes and can also visit: Sky Broadband- Making your Sky Broadband and Talk services even better from the 19th June.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 19-06-09 at 02:22 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Changes to Sky Broadband from June 22nd 2009

Is there anything from Sky yet about how the 10GB/month cap will work in practice?

On Zen I occasionally went a few GB over the 20GB/month limit and it was a real pain having to login to their web site and pay for the overrun, especially if it happened unexpectedly and a payment was required to reinstate the full service. I do hope Sky avoids anything like that.
      JPL

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is there anything from Sky yet about how the 10GB/month cap will work in practice?
      No - But it is one of our questions to be asked.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

stu_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I can forsee DLM and capping issues ty sky for taking 30gb of me and in all proberbility fecking up my line whilst they are at it soap anyone??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

All customers will be emailed at least 3 days before their go though the line stabilisation process. This will outline the nature of the changes to their broadband service as well as details on the process itself, including a range of frequently asked questions.
      Now there is a surprise! I wonder if it will actually happen? Surely Sky have not learned that communicating with their customers is a good thing?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Having read through the new t & c's and especially those relating to the phone as well, it strikes me that if you are moved onto the new llu platform it could be a case of exceed 10gb per month and they can restrict your speed. I'm sure I've heard of other ISP's using this option. I would like to see a meter provided by sky to allow users to follow how much they've downloaded. They clearly have the data why can't they share it with us?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Now there is a surprise! I wonder if it will actually happen? Surely Sky have not learned that communicating with their customers is a good thing?
      Maybe they dont want to appear on watch dog again ?

I just checked the Mysky broadband section and found that my max line speed currently is down as 2.5mb strange how Im connecting at 5mb and if I wasnt capped could happy live on 7mb.

I really do hope they dont feck this exercise up like they did with the DLM fiasco.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

I really do hope they dont feck this exercise up like they did with the DLM fiasco.
      That is what is happening, all existing lines are now going to go through DLM. The surprise is that they are going to tell you when it is being done!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

In all fairness, I can handle the DLM as I am on Max and the better upload speed would be ideal.

The only thing that is really annoying me, is those on Mid now, to lose 30gb (even if they use it or not is irrelevant, as it is a huge detrimental loss to their original package)

I feel that those that aren't happy should be allowed to keep their old package, or leave without penalty. It shouldn't be too hard to have a legacy package, most other ISPs do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is what is happening, all existing lines are now going to go through DLM. The surprise is that they are going to tell you when it is being done!
      Can some please just shoot me now

Surely they cant make the same mistakes with DLM they made first time around or can they ooo we of little faith.

Id love to see the stats for the average mid user to.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast